1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hidden plastic key... Is this true?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by grr666, Jan 14, 2013.

1. grr666

grr666 Member

[Jan 14, 2013]
    Here's one for those of you who have dismantled a few Audi dashboards
    in your time. Is there really a hidden plastic key somewhere behind the
    dash. It was mentioned in a thread about car thefts in Aberdeen on another
    forum I use.
    It was mentioned that there was a 3rd plastic key on BMWs and Audis in
    particular that can be used to start the car.
    If it is true, then how in gods name did anybody think that could be a good idea.
    And where can I find it so I can remove it?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 21, 2014]

3. Jameze

Jameze James

[Jan 14, 2013]
    I think it's just the new A4's, A5's and Q5's that have plastic emergency 'keys'. They're kept in the glovebox.
  4. AndyA3170

AndyA3170 Guest

[Jan 14, 2013]
    Sounds like a stupid idea to me, surely your insurance company wouldn't be overly cheerful about it either.
  5. monopole

monopole pro-monopole-ish-ism-istic

[Jan 14, 2013]
    The plastic key on its own will not work.

It is an emergency key if your if keyless fob fails. You can remove a metal "key-like" bit from the fob, insert into the "plastic key" secured within the glovebox and use this to start the car - this is only for cars where you push the fob into the dash.
  6. IceHanger

IceHanger Active Member

[Jan 14, 2013]
    My TT came with a 3rd plastic key which lived in my wallet, only designed to be used for opening the door to retrieve locked in keys as it will set alarm off from what I remember. No chance of starting the car though no chip in it unless there's a on/off open door stick your leg out routine to do it!
  7. monopole

monopole pro-monopole-ish-ism-istic

[Jan 14, 2013]
    we're talking about the "plastic key" stored within the glove box which in fact looks like a key fob for cars that start by pushing your fob into the dash - I know this is A4 because I had one, but others models do as well

It seems some people though this was a normal "plastic" key -or the 3rd spare key supplied by the dealer- which on its own could start the car when in fact it cannot without a vital part removed from the original fob and inserted inside the plastic emergency fob, when the original fails. Designed to get you to the dealer to sort out the fault.
    IceHanger likes this.