Hi all, have a 1997 a4 se 1.8 petrol.

Ed Stratton

Reaction score
At idle my engine guns or revs go through 1000 and the car shakes or infrequently engine stalls completely. A friend has told me that it may be the breather pipe that has a hole or crack. He's not sure where it is as the Hayes manual is vague but he thinks you need to remove the manifold to replace pipe. A local garage has said this is a full day job at £47 labour per hour but I'm dubious as they tried to overcharge me the last time i used them. My question is, does this sound like a breather pipe issue and can the pipe be replaced without removing the manifold? Any replies will be most welcome.

At idle my engine guns or revs go through 1000 and the car shakes or infrequently engine stalls completely. A friend has told me that it may be the breather pipe that has a hole or crack. He's not sure where it is as the Hayes manual is vague but he thinks you need to remove the manifold to replace pipe. A local garage has said this is a full day job at £47 labour per hour but I'm dubious as they tried to overcharge me the last time i used them. My question is, does this sound like a breather pipe issue and can the pipe be replaced without removing the manifold? Any replies will be most welcome.
Welcome to audi-sport.net. You will find us all very friendly and helpful. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Hi Orinoco, it guns above 1000 revs, then suddenly drops below 850 (idle) but only does this in first gear. Car runs fine 2nd gear and above.