Help please. A4 vert 3.0 question.

Chad!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I still haven't managed to find myself a really nice 3.0 A4 convertible. I went to look at one today but was a little concerned with it. I would just like opinions from other 3.0 owners if possible please.
I had a good look round it, wasn't too bad. But under the bonnet there was a lot of oil residue around the oil filler cap and rocker cover and spark plug top etc. It was very apparent that the engine was either breathing oil or someone had topped it up and split some? Hard to say really why it was there. Is anything like this common on the 3.0 V6 ones? The car was a 2003 and had only covered 56000 miles which was documented. The only time I've ever seen this on cars is when they've done lots of hard miles. So could anyone shed any light on anything that could be typical with the 3.0 that this may be?? The bodywork was nice, but not mint. It was the presence of oil vapour residue that put me off mainly.
One last thing. I thought these cars didn't rust?? Down the edges of the bonnet (just over the edge of the top surfice) there is a seam where the top skin is kinda bent over and joined if that makes sense. There was a fair bit of rust blistering down that edge anyway. Is this normal??
And one final thing, I promise. Anyone want to sell me their 3.0 V6 A4 vert? Someone who doesn't live at the other end of the country?

Thanks in advance,

Chad.

What's a 'vert'? You mean Cab'(riolet) right? ;)

The oil sounds like a spill or even a cam cover gasket misting a bit. A4's are galvanised so generally don't rust, could it have had a new bonnet or poor front end repair? Take another look.

BUB :beerchug:

Oh believe me I had a damn good look. It had had the bonnet sprayed and the passenger side wing. The guy swore on some life or other that it hadn't been sprayed but I pointed out one thing after another that proved it had had work done. It didn't appear to be any kind of major repair. There was no damage anywhere and it drove beautifully. I reckon maybe vandal damage or something of the sort. The bumper hadn't been sprayed and all panel gaps were perfect. I took the oil filler cap off and it was very wet around where the rubber seal is. Which made me a little iffy about it. With so few miles I expected it to be mint under the bonnet.

Chad.