Help for a Newbee plz

Dubs73

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently purchased my 1st Audi... B7 A4 Cab. Very happy with it so far, but naturally I've already got itchy fingers and felt the need to furnish it with some 19" RS4 replicas... I've also purchased some JOM coilovers but I have a question (hopefully not a stupid one).

I can't seem to find this on any other threads; tbh I thought it would be a common one... How the hell do you get to the top of the rear struts?? I need to be fully prepared as I hiring workshop for half a day so I'm hoping to perform a seamless procedure.

Any guidance would be great guys.

Cheers,

Dubs

Might help if you posted in the B7 A4 Forum instead of the B5/B7 RS4 Forum.

Hi welcome to ASN. Your thread is in the correct section now. Hope you enjoy the forum. :)

u get to them from under the arch
not in the boot like fords etc
wheel off look up with light you will see

Thanks Bez... Haven't taken anything off as yet but I did have a look under the arch and there are no bolts or anything... there's just a narrow hole just big enough for the shock to get through.

Post some pictures up when you've fitted them, oh and enjoy the weekend weather I've just done 90miles roof down :)

you need to remove the arch liner

Welcome to the site.

Again Bez is spot on :)

The little blighters are hidden up there behind the liner, I would prepare yourself for a little longer day if any of the bolts are siezed, be well prepared with wd40 & anything to loosen any lower bolts, I upgraded to FSD's with eibach springs on our cars, ****** things were stiff as hell, took a good while to get the damn things of & on as such.

Thanks guys... I think I know what you mean now. I might end up just paying a garage to do the install... sounds like a pig of a job. Is there anyone who could recommend a garage in the Chelmsford area for this?

I cant recommend anywhere, not from around there but would recommend that a garage do the work, even a mechanicly minded person will struggle on this, and if you don't have some small but strong spring compressors you will struggle just as much on the back as the front in different ways and as said half a day is no where near enough time to do it, you need a good 16 hr day lol sorry but the truth hurts

Not sure if the 8E is the same as the 8P on fronts as links are different iirc from my S4, but always best to take the whole hub of with suspension leg & swap everything over, refit in reverse, long time back, tried 1 car doing strut, spring to the hub, still attached as such to car, was hell's worst nightmare lol, we live & learn huh.

Chelmsford, well I'd drop down to AMD Essex & ask them to do it as they're the only ones I know in that area, West THurrock isnt far from your location at all:

Unit 6, Cliffside Trade Park Motherwell Way West Thurrock Essex RM20 3LE - Google Maps

Last edited:
Coilovers arrived today, getting fitted tomorrow (professionally)... will post some pics at the weekend!:jump:

All done, bigrich you were sooooooooooooooo right... I would never have got it done by myself! 13 hours! ceased bolts and all... and these guys were professionals with all the right tools. It was worth the wait, and worth every penny. The ride's much better too! not as harsh as the OE suspension. Picutures coming up real soon; after the obligatory wash & wax of course.

Cheers for the advise guys.:thumbsup:

Sorry peeps... took a lot longer to post these as I've been decorating my house in order to get it on the market.

Hope you like!!

Last edited by a moderator:
WANT. Looks ace! This is tempting me to go down the route of coilovers...

Did you have the S-line suspension setup before the upgrade or just standard? I wasn't sure whether to risk upgrading to 19" with thinner tyres AND coilovers and risk shaking my bones all the time as a result. How you finding it day-to-day??

Still a nice drive, only thing I would say is I had to go back after a couple of days because the height dropped a bit when it settled down...

Pardon my numptiness, but what do you mean by a Smarttop Unit"?

Last edited: