Help and advice needed guys

Chris S 1245

Reaction score
Hi guys im close to putting in an order for a brand new audi s3 sportback in Daytona grey For march delivery. I turn 20 years old in january and ive been running insurance quotes for myself on the S3 and the cheapest I found on compare the market is £4800 with No blackbox which is ridiculous.

Can Anyone on this forum reccomend to me on how I can lower the price further without fronting. As ive seen a few early 20s members on here and i wander how you guys get insured. Sorry for the long post look foward to responses :)

My Main tip is to insure both mum and dad as named drivers. Should half it if not more!

My Main tip is to insure both mum and dad as named drivers. Should half it if not more!
That quotes with both parents added though. Blackbox insurance is in the 2k range not getting that though. Do you think i could ring them and try to say i got cheaper quotes from other providers ?

Seems quiet reasonable given that my 19 year old sons insurance for a 10 year old Peugeot 107 was £1200 with me as a named driver!!!!

Seriously given your age, and the cars performance and value doubt you will get anything less than £2000 unless you live in a small village miles from anywhere and only do 2000 miles a year!!!!

Reactions: Jassyo06 and glospete
20 years old (and a month) when I collected my S3 last week. Paid £4000 for insurance. When you're in that price bracket the markets very volatile and it will jump up and down within minutes £100-1000 and so forth. Wouldn't waste your times with ringing to get competing offers its time consuming and doesn't work. They're given a price from a system and they can only override it by a few quid here and there.

Things to try:
Where the cars parked (not always best on a drive or garage)
Parents insured (not always best to have both parents, sometimes one, sometimes parents and a other relative, play around)
EXCESS FEE <---- It was £2000 cheaper to have my excess free at £400 voluntary + £600 standard excess then £1000 voluntary ontop of the £600)

Go through every excess fee one by one and work out where the sweet spot is! Hope this helps, and congrats on working your *** off to be able to afford such a car at your age. Presuming you're paying ;)

Reactions: Djs3saloon, Mark_86 and Chris S 1245
20 years old (and a month) when I collected my S3 last week. Paid £4000 for insurance. When you're in that price bracket the markets very volatile and it will jump up and down within minutes £100-1000 and so forth. Wouldn't waste your times with ringing to get competing offers its time consuming and doesn't work. They're given a price from a system and they can only override it by a few quid here and there.

Things to try:
Parents insured (not always best to have both parents, sometimes one, sometimes parents and a other relative, play around)
EXCESS FEE <---- It was £2000 cheaper to have my excess free at £400 voluntary + £600 standard excess then £1000 voluntary ontop of the £600)

Go through every excess fee one by one and work out where the sweet spot is! Hope this helps, and congrats on working your *** off to be able to afford such a car at your age. Presuming you're paying ;)
Yeah cheers mate for the advice indeed I am paying for it myself been carefully saving my money for the past 2 years ;). Yh its weird with the insurance prices i got it down close to £4000 however a month ago when i was running quotes they were around the £3000 mark which is fine.

Reactions: Rolly12
Yeah cheers mate for the advice indeed I am paying for it myself been carefully saving my money for the past 2 years ;). Yh its weird with the insurance prices i got it down close to £4000 however a month ago when i was running quotes they were around the £3000 mark which is fine.

My quotes were all £2500 at time of ordering in MAY so ordered it on that basis. I had to end up borrowing the £1500 luckily off my parents to make up for my shortfall

If you're looking for cheaper quotes try those insurers who don't appear on comparison sites such as Aviva, Direct Line etc

Don't want to sound like a Dad, but couldn't you put that money to better use for maybe towards a deposit for a house? Or towards a flat?

Would you not consider maybe getting an S-Line with the 2.0 190 petrol for a few years and then the S3 when your insurance comes down?

I'm 20 as well and do 20,000 a year and I've just ordered a 1.5 S-Line with insurance quotes of around £2000 (cheapest was with no blackbox suprisingly)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Flying Scotsman
If you're looking for cheaper quotes try those insurers who don't appear on comparison sites such as Aviva, Direct Line etc

Don't want to sound like a Dad, but couldn't you put that money to better use for maybe towards a deposit for a house? Or towards a flat?

Would you not consider maybe getting an S-Line with the 2.0 190 petrol for a few years and then the S3 when your insurance comes down?

I'm 20 as well and do 20,000 a year and I've just ordered a 1.5 S-Line with insurance quotes of around £2000 (cheapest was with no blackbox suprisingly)

No he's not, dad!

I'm the happiest 20Y/O in the world at the minute and I have no regrets about my decisions. A house wont bring me joy. And I could afford a house in 3 years anyway when I would actually want one. I work 55 hours a week so I can have fun, not sleep in a different house a few years earlier

Also do the start date for the insurance for 2-3 weeks time, instead of next day or within the week.

Parking on drive tends to be cheaper too.

All as above will help but given the car, age etc you wont find cheap insurance. Ive just changed to LV and pay 485 ish a yr...thats with max no claims bonus...

I'm with AXA and get 10% discount for having a dashcam :) Sadly I'm not in my 20's though :( But being older means the S3 is £272 to insure :)

More smiles in that line above so I'm happy :D

I'm with AXA and get 10% discount for having a dashcam :) Sadly I'm not in my 20's though :( But being older means the S3 is £272 to insure :)

More smiles in that line above so I'm happy :D
Just on AXA, I couldn't see that there is a discount for being IAM/RoSPA accredited. Is that your experience too?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just on AXA, I couldn't see that there is a discount for being IAM/RoSPA accredited. Is that your experience too?

I don't know mate, been a while since I did my quote.

Things to try:

I wouldn't like to be you if you crash your car. I would've thought the next time you wouldn't get insured based on those mental prices.

I would never pay £4,000 insurance for a car, not even a Lamborghini Aventador. The S3 is only around 30K, so you're paying in one year over 10% of the cars value, just for insurance. That is just mental.

Reactions: robps3 and Rolly12
I wouldn't like to be you if you crash your car. I would've thought the next time you wouldn't get insured based on those mental prices.

I would never pay £4,000 insurance for a car, not even a Lamborghini Aventador. The S3 is only around 30K, so you're paying in one year over 10% of the cars value, just for insurance. That is just mental.

Because of the corcumstances at the time i didnt have much option. For me to not have paid it, and not get the car it would have costed £1500 anyway and other cars insurances were stupid too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn

Dad or not that is sound advice mate, good on you ;) I was thinking the same about a deposit for a house :)

£4k for insurance is £333 per month, my S3 car payments are only £381 :D £333 + £381 = £714 pm for a car...no chance, I'm all for having what you want but that it crazy.

A house wont bring me joy.
I bought my 1st house at 25, within 10 years the price of it had trebled, that brought me joy! :p

If I were 20 and living with parents, I'd buy a house/flat and rent it out and let them pay the mortgage, then when I want to move in give them notice to move out....house prices are only going one way and they have just paid the first few years off for you!

Reactions: richinsoton, 4K and OST
Dad or not that is sound advice mate, good on you ;) I was thinking the same about a deposit for a house :)

£4k for insurance is £333 per month, my S3 car payments are only £381 :D £333 + £381 = £714 pm for a car...no chance, I'm all for having what you want but that it crazy.

I bought my 1st house at 25, within 10 years the price of it had trebled, that brought me joy! :p

If I were 20 and living with parents, I'd buy a house/flat and rent it out and let them pay the mortgage, then when I want to move in give them notice to move out....house prices are only going one way and they have just paid the first few years off for you!

I had to pay £3500 for my old polo for the last 3 months, if i was to hand it back early it would have cost me £900, plus i would have then lost my £500 deposit on the s3. So i would be £1400 down and nothing to show, then have to find another car to buy and insure it and 1L polos were even showing at £2000 to insure.

I get what you're all saying but under the circumstances it in a way was an extra £600 to have an s3 than a 1L polo... if that makes sense?

I had to pay £3500 for my old polo for the last 3 months, if i was to hand it back early it would have cost me £900, plus i would have then lost my £500 deposit on the s3. So i would be £1400 down and nothing to show, then have to find another car to buy and insure it and 1L polos were even showing at £2000 to insure.

I get what you're all saying but under the circumstances it in a way was an extra £600 to have an s3 than a 1L polo... if that makes sense?

That's man maths at its very best.....!

Why did you have a Polo costing you £3500 in 3 months...? Why did you have to hand it back early?

£2000 is still a lot cheaper than £4000...

That's man maths at its very best.....!

Why did you have a Polo costing you £3500 in 3 months...? Why did you have to hand it back early?

£2000 is still a lot cheaper than £4000...

It was a lease car which cost £300 a month you send it back early. And for the insurance, it ran out 3 months before i got my s3 but because of my accident it was £3500 for the year and i had to cancel after the 3 months

Thankyou for complimenting my man maths, i'm very happy of myself right now

It was a lease car which cost £300 a month you send it back early. And for the insurance, it ran out 3 months before i got my s3 but because of my accident it was £3500 for the year and i had to cancel after the 3 months

Thankyou for complimenting my man maths, i'm very happy of myself right now

Lol your posts seem to raise more questions than it answers :p

Why did you lease a Polo for £300 and send it back early?

Im prepared to pay £4500 for car insurance :) I work hard for my money and i already have a house on rent. I like to think of my insurance as subsidised as the rents paying for it. But sound advice on this forum i understand where you guys are coming from. Thing thats screwing me over is my stupid postcode because I live near bury in greater manchester.

To @Chris S 1245 ..This is some very sound advise from @Reltub

"Would you not consider maybe getting an S-Line with the 2.0 190 petrol for a few years and then the S3 when your insurance comes down?"

All you need is one at fault fender bender and your insurance on your S3 and 4,000.00 quid will sound cheap at renewal time and to be dead honest that 190bhp engine will surprise you with it's power for daily driving etc.

Totally agree with this..... But in general"not all of them" I WANT IT NOW generation don't seem to think about the future or bat a eye over having a lot Debt, just as long as they are driving a fancy car but still staying with mum and dad

Reactions: richinsoton and Flying Scotsman
I do have to agree with @jassyo06. If you are staying at home with Mum and Dad and paying room and board and you can truly afford to purchase an S3 with no guarantor's signature and pay the running costs, well then, that is your decision to make and even then, is this a rational decision. If not, sit down and think it over. There is more to life than a status car at your age.

There is also more than an S3. Whilst we all like them, if I were paying anything over £2k per yr for insurance it would have to pur alot more than the S3 attempts. Bless the 4 pot!

Reactions: Tom.H
I know people mean well but it's not our place to judge him for what he spends his money on. Yes, on the face of it there are more 'sensible' or 'responsible' ways to spend/save/invest but that's his choice. The only people I tend to take a bit of issue with are those who have a decent job and blow every penny on luxuries whilst living with their parents and not even paying decent rent. Hopefully that's not the case here :)

As for insurance, I'm afraid that £4k+ doesn't surprise me at all and is far from 'ridiculous'. The statistics will show that a 20-year old in a 300bhp+ car is very likely to have an accident which will likely be high speed and cause a lot of damage. That's the way of the world I'm afraid - regardless of our own driving skills, we all pay for the statistical norm of the demographic into which we fit. If you're young with a fast car, you're screwed basically.

I know people mean well but it's not our place to judge him for what he spends his money on. Yes, on the face of it there are more 'sensible' or 'responsible' ways to spend/save/invest but that's his choice. The only people I tend to take a bit of issue with are those who have a decent job and blow every penny on luxuries whilst living with their parents and not even paying decent rent. Hopefully that's not the case here :)

As for insurance, I'm afraid that £4k+ doesn't surprise me at all and is far from 'ridiculous'. The statistics will show that a 20-year old in a 300bhp+ car is very likely to have an accident which will likely be high speed and cause a lot of damage. That's the way of the world I'm afraid - regardless of our own driving skills, we all pay for the statistical norm of the demographic into which we fit. If you're young with a fast car, you're screwed basically.

The OP started a thread and asked a question on a public forum, it is therefore our right to judge....

Its moronic to pay this much for insurance whether you can afford it or not. If the OP owns the car for ten years, he has bought another car with the amount paid in insurance over the same time...its madness.

Whether working hard, getting cash from parents or stealing it from any other source, its a waste and thats the end of it.

It's all relative really, if you're a multi millionaire I don't see the issue paying £4K insurance for some sort of high end supercar/hypercar as that's what they are.

For most of us though, £4K will be a good chunk of cash, personally I could afford it not a problem but I wouldn't want to, same as I could have bought an RS3 but didn't want to pay that sort of money a month on a car, would rather spend it on holidays.

I would be wanting to build up some no claims first and then looking at getting into a more powerful car.

Reactions: Rolly12 and Jassyo06
There is a bit of hypocrisy in anyone who drives an S3 talking about financial prudence when there are far cheaper cars out there with double the MPG and a fifth of the running costs.

We earn our money, we make our choices.

(with love from a brand new S3 owner )

There is a bit of hypocrisy in anyone who drives an S3 talking about financial prudence when there are far cheaper cars out there with double the MPG and a fifth of the running costs.

We earn our money, we make our choices.

(with love from a brand new S3 owner )

Not really.

There is a fundamental difference between a 20 yr old living at home, spending most likely half their wage packet on just finance and insurance (and that doesn't include maintenance, servicing, extra fuel costs, GAP, etc etc...), as opposed to someone who has an established career and can comfortably afford the finance, already has a somewhere to live and has enough experience that he doesn't have to fork out £4k in insurance to drive it.

You're right, a brand new car is a luxury that wastes money at any time of your life. Not least one than costs upwards of £40k. However there is a point about priorities, and renting a brand new S3 for 3 years at that stage of your life for large sums of money is certainly not one of them.....

IMHO....

As for insurance, I'm afraid that £4k+ doesn't surprise me at all and is far from 'ridiculous'. The statistics will show that a 20-year old in a 300bhp+ car is very likely to have an accident which will likely be high speed and cause a lot of damage.

I think if I'd had a 300bhp car at 20 I don't think I'd have seen my 21st :D The power still catches me out at times, even after 25+ years of driving! Only yesterday I had 18 bags of coal in the car and on the way home booted it slightly and the pace in which it took off was "Wow still fast with all this weight", I looked down and I was slightly over the limit :p;)

Not really.

There is a fundamental difference between a 20 yr old living at home, spending most likely half their wage packet on just finance and insurance (and that doesn't include maintenance, servicing, extra fuel costs, GAP, etc etc...), as opposed to someone who has an established career and can comfortably afford the finance, already has a somewhere to live and has enough experience that he doesn't have to fork out £4k in insurance to drive it.

You're right, a brand new car is a luxury that wastes money at any time of your life. Not least one than costs upwards of £40k. However there is a point about priorities, and renting a brand new S3 for 3 years at that stage of your life for large sums of money is certainly not one of them.....

IMHO....
Have to agree with this, I've always had relatively nice cars, but the nicest cars have been since I hit 40. Before 40 I was ploughing as much cash into paying my mortgage off as I could, at the time my job was looking unsafe so priorities were a home! At 40 I was mortgage free, weeks later I found out that my job was safe for at least 10 years, you can imagine the smile on my face :)...so hence the top end nice cars since 40 ;) The car is my only debt and I'm prepared to blow £100 per week on it because I like nice things, if I lose my job I'll just downsize the car, yes it would be a blow, but not as big a blow as having to downsize the house or even lose the house!

Reactions: richinsoton, Rolly12 and Russkiya
The OP is entitled to spend his money on whatever he likes but does have to accept he will be criticised for his first world keeping up with the Jones's lifestyle choices :)

The point that seems to be being overlooked is that the OP (and he is not the only one) is being sucked into the PCP hype of have whatever you want now ethic without considering the total cost of ownership as part of the overall equation which is why PCP is being investigated by FSA and others.

Smart money would be to hang on and take your pick of the glut of low mileage high spec 1-2 year old cars that will hit the second hand market in the next year as people who have over committed hand back the keys.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Some very wise but also nonsensical views on here, at least in my humble opinion anyway.

I shudder at the thought of any person shelling out £4k in insurance on an Audi S3 irrespective of their circumstances. In no way could I justify that for what is merely a 'glossed up' hatchback. In my view, if one can afford that then one ought to save it and invest in property or business as that will at least provide the opportunity of yielding some profit.

It's wise to listen to others who may have been in a similar situation and learn from their experiences to better evaluate your own situation and make a more informed decision.

Reactions: TDI-line and DrEskimo
I can see the appeal of driving a S3, I'm 22 and purchased one earlier this year. However, if my renewal comes through in November asking for £4000 and that's the best price I'll be trading the car in no matter how much I like it.

It's not a case of not being able to afford £4000 etc I just couldn't justify it to myself :blink: I paid £600 to insurance my A3 150bhp last Nov and a further £150 odd to insure my new S3 around April. Based on a recent go compare quote the cheapest seems to be around £850 for this year which I think is alright, must be a bonus of living away from all the major cities.

Everyone's different though and this is just my personal opinion :grinning:

Reactions: richinsoton
Based on a recent go compare quote the cheapest seems to be around £850 for this year which I think is alright, must be a bonus of living away from all the major cities.
That's more than alright, it's great! My nephew is 21 and still paying over £1k for this which I think look horrendous...maybe I'm getting old!!!

Omg

Reactions: Bells and OST
That's more than alright, it's great! My nephew is 21 and still paying over £1k for this which I think look horrendous...maybe I'm getting old!!!

View attachment 136414

The obligatory tow line at the front for the track really sets the car off for me. Quite exquisite!

Reactions: S32B
I've just thrown up in my mouth

The obligatory tow line at the front for the track really sets the car off for me. Quite exquisite!
It's not just me then :D I feel embarrassed for him! He was going to change it a few months back for a limited edition new corsa...but pulled out right at the end!