1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlamp Query

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by tomost, Jan 17, 2005.

1. tomost

tomost Member

A query for you A3 boffins out there.

For no apparent reason I decided to see what my car looked like with its front fog lamps on. My headlights have the integrated fog lamps. I discovered that only the offside illuminated. On closer inspection I found that the nearside and offside dipped beam bulbs were different. A single bulb on the nearside and a double bulb on the offside (dipped beam and foglamp) which had some type of covering shield around the bulb within the headlamp unit and the nearside didn't have this.

Is this correct or has someone put the wrong bulb in the nearside or are my headlights different from each other. The headlamps look the same otherwise. Surely can't be right having just one front fog lamp can it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif !!!!!!!!!

tomo.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tomost

tomost Member

When I said (double bulb) I meant a single bulb with two filaments. One for the dipped beam and the other was the fog light.

4. benk

benk Member

Sounds very strange - I have integrated fogs, which use the two-filament bulb (H4 I think it is), and both lights have a "shield" which I guess is to send the fog light down under the fog on the road - I would expect both of your lights to have this - not just one.
    Maybe a previous owner replaced a headlight but put in a non-fog version...

5. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you!
    Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    bk1 said:
    Sounds very strange - I have integrated fogs, which use the two-filament bulb (H4 I think it is), and both lights have a "shield" which I guess is to send the fog light down under the fog on the road - I would expect both of your lights to have this - not just one.
    Maybe a previous owner replaced a headlight but put in a non-fog version...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, thats what it sounds like to me!

Rich

6. tomost

tomost Member

Yup, thats what I think aswell. Some daft twat has gone for a cheap replacement. Going to have to source a new headlamp now.

cheers.

7. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you!
    Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    TomoA3Turbo said:
    Yup, thats what I think aswell. Some daft twat has gone for a cheap replacement. Going to have to source a new headlamp now.

cheers.

[/ QUOTE ] you have PM