HDMI

big_mo

MOSES
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Samsung 32" LCD Tv and it has this HDMI port in the back.
Last week my DVD player stoped working so i went and got a Samsung 3.1 home cinema and it has a HDMI port in the back also.

What the hell is the HDMI? Is it any good?

Its better than HD componant, better bandwidth or something. Basically just use the HDMI connection, you can get the cable from currys or similar if you dont already have one. Think I have the same TV as you, is it black? My 360 looks very crisp through the HDMI

BluRay is a media type, you are thinking of HD DVD

HD-DVD
Blu-Ray
DVD
CD
etc

HD is just a resolution, nothing more really, HDMI is just a good connection to use rather than componant connection as it has better band width

Basically they could of released HDMI when HD TV's first came out, but that wouldnt be ripping off the consumer for everything they can get, forces people into thinking they need to upgrade

HDMI = High Definition Media Interface, it is basically a new version of Scart, allows more information to be passed from say a DVD player to the TV, giving a much better picture quality, like the difference between VCR and DVD or DVD and Blueray, hope this makes sense..

HDMI = High Definition Media Interface. HDMI will only work in true 1080p up to 10m* and stay away from cheap hdmi cables because data can drop out.
:whistle2:
*DVD/AV AMP to PROJECTOR etc

they did a test on the gadget shiow and did not find any differance between a £5 cable and a top line £120 cable .
so go for the cheapo , after all it connects or it does not , it`s only a signal .
I paid £20 for mine , looks great . (before seeing the show )

chris

As ebbs said, dont bother spending silly money on a cable, as they are all the same, if anything, just get one with gold plated connecters...

As ebbs said, dont bother spending silly money on a cable, as they are all the same, if anything, just get one with gold plated connecters...

Well, I'll throw a spanner in the works here.
I too was extremely sceptical about expensive HDMI cables.
I was quite happy to keep the cheap HDMI's that came with the SKY HD box and my upscaling DVD.

However....:ohmy:

I was then given the chance to try a Monster HDMI cable (RRP around £44) by a friend.
My mind was blown.
Instant and very noticeable difference.
So much so that my TV settings needed re-calibration.
I was so impressed, I gave him cash there and then and left it plugged in.

I know there are all sorts of tests that say this shouldn't be possible, but I'm telling you, on my set up, there is a noticeable difference.
People can say it's all in my mind if they like, I've seen the difference with my own eyes, in a back-to-back test.

well the gadget show tested them and said no difference ...............

Yeah, someone said that already, two threads above.:blahblah1:
My point is, I don't care what the tests say.
I was sceptical too!
I didn't want the fancy cable to be any better!
I wanted to keep the free cables that came with the equipment, and mock my mate's cable!
I can't deny the picture improvement though
So, my advice is to try it for yourself.
The likes of Richer sounds and Sevenoaks will often let you try cables before you buy, or offer a full refund if you can't see a difference.

oops missed that whilst skipping through :(

they did have the ultimate test with 2 identical tvs playing identical stuff side by side.

You never know it may be down to instalation and how shielded they are ???

my eyes are bad enough not to care lol :)

under normal circumstances "shielding" would make zero difference to the signal delivered over a HDMI cable. What shielding and other technologies that these over-priced cables protect against is interference of the electrical charge caused by external interferance. For example if you have a power cable next to another cable carrying another signal the power cable will generate a tiny electromagnetic field which in turn will induce an electrical charge on a cable next to it. "shielding" protects the cable from electromagnetic interferance but if this was the case I doubt this interference would be enough to interfere with a digital signal.
I use a 5 quid HDMI cable which was a optional extra when i bought my PS3 - I hook it up to a 24" monitor via HDMI and also when I'm at my mums a big 42" plasma via HDMI and in both cases i've no complaints about the image quality.
There are various different HDMI "standards" which is constantly moving forward, and as it does the hardware including cables also moves forward to support these new standards and the most recent 1.3 can support all current standard high definition resolutions however previous revisions don't have the bandwidth to carry all the data resulting in "loss" which can result in degredation of picture if you are trying to push for example a 1080p signal over a HDMI 1.0 this could lead to a poorer quality picture than what the hardware / cable is certified for.

For clarification, I am using 720p/1080i over 1m.
I know, I know, I know the accepted knowledge is that I shouldn't notice any improvement over such short distances, but my eyes aren't deceiving me.
Once again, I can only urge people to suck it and see.

1080i (interlaced) is lower quality than 1080p (progressive) so dont waste a load of money on a fancy cable. As said here, get one with gold plated connectors and you will be fine.

Dabs.com do a good line in good cables for reasonable money.

To be honest, it depends on your system.

If your getting the best of gear, e.g. spending 2k plus on the display, and 800+ on a player or something, there is no point in spending a fiver on the cable between them. You get what you pay for, and while many peole will tell you there is no difference, as well there shouldn't be with a digital signal, there is.

Its the same with CD players for example. You can get one for 15 quid, or you can pay up to 33k for one. And anything in between. There is no way there is no difference between them, yet it is a digital format, so why should there be?

I say no need to spend anymore than 30-50 quid on a reasonably short hdmi cable, but others may disagree and say thats too much. But at the end of the day, you are hooking up far more expensive equipment, bought, presumably, on the basis that it had very good reviews, or looked really good in the store or whatever. Probably cost over 10x that of an relativley expensive cable, so why risk the overall quality of the picture (and sound) with a cheap tesco value cable???

I think i payed £ 80 for my Cord silver plus HDMI cable , 1.3 and 1080p , it's hooked up to my HD player from my 1080p TV so it's worth it IMHO, it has gold connectors and it's 2/3 thicker than the freebie ones!

p

I think i payed £ 80 for my Cord silver plus HDMI cable , 1.3 and 1080p , it's hooked up to my HD player from my 1080p TV so it's worth it IMHO, it has gold connectors and it's 2/3 thicker than the freebie ones!

p

Exactly the cable I chose! I have one between my BD player and AV receiver and one between the AV receiver and TV. I needed a version 1.3a cable to provide the bandwidth to pass bitstream audio between the BD player and AV receiver and the Chord silver plus had won all the performance awards.

I agree that its only worth investing in decent cables if you're planning to invest in decent receivers/TV's etc and you would appreciate the difference in quality/performance. If not just go for the budget stuff :)

I agree to a point that cables can make a difference, but its obviously a case of try and see, if it makes a difference to you personally then stick with it, if not then dont and save your money....

I tried a IXOS HDMI cable and then used a normal HDMI cable that cost me a tenner and i really couldnt notice the difference, it is connected to a PS3 and looks good enough to me....