Hard Brake Pedal, Heavy PAS and Starting!

Christopherski

Reaction score
Hi all, recently bought an A4 avant 2.0Tdi 170 s-line 2006. Just got a few teething problems which i missed on the test drive.

Firstly the brake pedal is constantly hard when running/driving, the car does brake and stops quite well (abs has to kick in) but it could be a little better. Ive read that it could be a vaccuum leak somewhere along the pipe. Would a leak constantly keep the pedal hard?

Also PAS is a little heavy, didn't notice it at first until i had to move my ibiza. Now it made a funny noise when on full lock and i moved the car, also seemed to be a small amount of fluid on the floor. I'm assuming that there is a small leak from a pipe and not alot of fluid left in the res causing it to feel heavy.

Third problem!
The car will start from warm and cold but it takes longer than normal. It takes a few turns and maybe 4-5 seconds to actually start up. Sometimes it'll just turn over once then stop and then turn a few more times and start. I was thinking that this may be a glow plug issue or a faulty battery.

If this is a faulty battery could it be causing all three problems?

Also discovered the econ light is constantly on suggesting the system needs regassing.

Just listing more problems now! Broken armrest, i've seen its an ebay job, but is the B6 one the same as the B7 or are they different?

Chhers for the help in advance!

Last edited:
If you have the original battery then 9 years is about as long as it's going to last. Change it now ready for the winter and before it dies and lets you down. That should help with starting and the electric rack.

If the brakes are feeling funny then that will be do with the Vacuum pump or hoses dept.

If it's the Econ lamp on the aircon control panel, that is to tell you the aircon is switched off. press the same button again and the light will go off and the aircon will work. Again after 9 years it will need re-gassing.

I'm going to get the battery tested tomorrow and see, hopefully that'll cure them faults. I have been looking for leaks but will need to test again tonight to further investigate for leaks.

When i press the econ button the light doesn't go off, i read somewhere that it means its low gas.

Cheers

Mine struggles to start sometimes and then kicks up a brakes error, i thought it was the battery. Replaced that, issue still there

When i press the econ button the light doesn't go off, i read somewhere that it means its low gas.

Cheers

Either it's low on gas, or the compressor or a sensor has failed. Any decent garage will be able to perform a pressure / leak test and re-gas and probably identify any other issues.

It's off into audi tomorrow for a health check so they'll find somethings that are up with it.