Haldex Controller Help

Knighty

Reaction score
So my car has been losing grip very easily in a straight line. I have done a dyognostic check on it and got a fault code 00448 Haldex Clutch Pump (V181). This is showing up as only intermittent.
I have searched it up and everything seems to go back to the Haldex controller.
Does anyone know anything about them or can point me in the right direction??

Also I have only just had it serviced about two months ago where they did a haldex service and when i started noticing it.

Attachments

• IMG_8329.JPG
    IMG_8329.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 373
I was literally just reading that.

By any chance can it be caused by a lack of oil in the haldex as I've only noticed it since i have the haldex servced?

Easy way to check if its your pump, is to unplug it from the controller and stick 12v to the pins. If pump works its your controller. If not give me a shout I've got a spare pump up for grabs shortly (my controllers shot and got a complete rear diff coming with pump)

It woud deffinitely be worth checking the oil level, (seen some scare stories on line, forgotten to refill, filled the wrong diff, seriously?) shoud be easy to do and would satisfy you that, hopefully it's not that. Otherwise my advice would be follow your nose, if Vag-com says pump it's probably the pump (know ths from experience, mine said controller and I changed the pump, ddn't help!) no-one ever cleans them and they build up dirt and gunk inside which inevitably causes them to fail, pumps aren't that dear, controllers are.

pumps aren't that dear, controllers are.

Tell me about it!

However mine had all signs of failing pump, eventually for error code in vcds etc, whilst doing output test it would sound like its struggling, cutting in and out etc.

Changed pump, tested old pump with 12v and pump was fine so is the controller. I have a complete rear diff inc ecu on its way from germany lol

My mate had/has a similar problem with his 3.2. We did a haldex oil change but the fault still remained
Vcds actually indicated a clutch pump fault, at first intermittent and then defective, so we changed the pump to no avail. We then tried a controller and that didn't cure it either.
That was over a year ago and we kind of gave up on it. I scanned it for him again last week and the fault didn't show up, no idea what is/was going on but I'd like to know for sure if its cured before the winter sets in!

It's shamen-one really seems to know what makes these things tick and so many end up buying whole new units as they can't pinpoint the issue. Business opportunity anyone? Haldex repair and reconditioning?

Only reason I bought a complete rear diff is because no one wants to sell the ecu alone. Few people over here want £400+ just for the ecu.

I managed to get complete rear diff for 250 delivered.

If ecu cures mine I will take apart my old one and see what's failed.

Pretty sure all controllers are same as are the pumps. It's the rear diff that's different on petrol vs diesel. Deffo worth looking into once I've got mine sorted though.

Only reason I can't do it now is because I can't have car off road for a week it's my daily and work horse at moment whilst our new work horse is on back order :(

Words of warning, the company mentioned repaired ny Controller when Vag-com said Haldex controller fault intermittent. I then refitted it and my code moved to saying the pump was faulty, we changed the pump for a new one and the code returned to haldex controller faulty. I returned the controller to ECU Testing and they advised it had water ingress and was un-repairable, so I had to buy a new one, now if I had just done was Vag-Com said in the first place......

On the upside ECU Testineg never charged me, anything, I think what they were doing was all a bit experimental at the time, they didn't advertise they did it on the site then but it looks like now they are serious and possibly I was the Guinnea pig, above is the story metioned above, I was trying not to bore you all with, so much for that :)