Got the S3 to 140mph . (not on public roads)

[ QUOTE ]
bioharry, you must be paying a small fortune to be 19 and have a S3. The insurance must be stupiedly high. How much is it if you don't mind me asking?

I have just turned 21 and had my A3 1.8 for just over a year and thought I was doing quite well. Just renewed my insurance with 3 years NC and am still paying £740 Fully comp.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 1 years NCD and no accidents or points my insurance is £1550 but thats just gone up by £105 because of the brake upgrade - Porsche boxter 332mm / 312mm rear. Anyone thinking of upgrading the brakes, all i can say is DO IT! I now have a pedal and not an on off switch! oh and i can stop from 130mph - 0 in very little time with no fade what so ever.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif man 1550 on an S3? where do you live and what company is that with?

im paying 1300 at 19 on a 1.8t quattro tpft!

I live in a smallish village on the outskirts of Cambridge (very good postcode) and the insurance is with Elephant. Also with my mum and aunt added which makes quite a big difference.

They do say the 1.8TQ is almost the same insurance as an S3. As it is basically the same car.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bioharry, you must be paying a small fortune to be 19 and have a S3. The insurance must be stupiedly high. How much is it if you don't mind me asking?

I have just turned 21 and had my A3 1.8 for just over a year and thought I was doing quite well. Just renewed my insurance with 3 years NC and am still paying £740 Fully comp.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 1 years NCD and no accidents or points my insurance is £1550 but thats just gone up by £105 because of the brake upgrade - Porsche boxter 332mm / 312mm rear. Anyone thinking of upgrading the brakes, all i can say is DO IT! I now have a pedal and not an on off switch! oh and i can stop from 130mph - 0 in very little time with no fade what so ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

The brakes are good arent they mate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit of a bone to pick with you Rich tho! The fitting took my garage 8.5 hours (£400) and they had to grind a ball joint on the rear suspension to make room for the disks as the are just so much bigger than stock! He said the fronts was a good kit but the rears were appaling! He had to remove the stone gurad as well because of the ABS sensor as he was afraid to just cut the plate for fear of the sparks and the hand brake cable needed adjusting. But all in all totally inpressed! One thing i have noticed tho is the brake pedal has to go along way down before anything happens, is this likely to rise at all? i have done 250miles so far.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit of a bone to pick with you Rich tho! The fitting took my garage 8.5 hours (£400) and they had to grind a ball joint on the rear suspension to make room for the disks as the are just so much bigger than stock! He said the fronts was a good kit but the rears were appaling! He had to remove the stone gurad as well because of the ABS sensor as he was afraid to just cut the plate for fear of the sparks and the hand brake cable needed adjusting. But all in all totally inpressed! One thing i have noticed tho is the brake pedal has to go along way down before anything happens, is this likely to rise at all? i have done 250miles so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As i said in PM, Casting imperfections cause the need to grind down the ball joint a bit...This is not on every car, but its a once in a while kind of thing. The stond guard has to be removed for them to fit which is my fault for not making it clear. They do fit well though once these hurdles are overcome.

I got quote cheaper insurance for an S3 than my A4. Not by much about £100.

But its a faster more desirable car (S3 that is).

Didn't get a S3 in the end cos would have had to get one with pretty high mileage.

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]
Picked up my car yesterday and its scaring the hell out of me! My previous one was a 1.1 Saxo with a heavy load of ICE and a whopping 60bhp!

Got it up to 90 but backed off. Will wait till I get on to a motorway.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont condone speeding but my foot accidentally slipt and she went all the way up to approx 145mph! I miss her already!

Saw 150mph on my S3 in November on the stretch of the M8 between Erskine bridge offramp and the Glasgow airport onramp.
Road was completely empty I hasten to add (4:30AM).
I think the fact the outside temp was -1.5C made the difference, just decided to let her rip and hadn't a clue how fast I was going til I glanced at the dials - slowed down very quickly after that.
Still it's nice to know the magazine figures aren't so far off.

[ QUOTE ]

I had a needles width over 140 on 'ahem' a private Motorway a couple of weeks back. I was also using a mates RoadAngel which was registering 140mph! This indicates my Speedo is approx 1 mph out at 140mph!
I'm guessing that the different rolling radius of 19" wheels makes the speedo more accurate...

Ade

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I hit 146 on the clock with 19" wheels, take the 1 mph off and I have 145, which is the top speed quoted in Autocar for the 210bhp model /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Just out of curiosity do S3's have a 155mph speed limiter like most modern performance cars?

Had my S3 up to an indicated 150mph but was then overtaken by my mate in his 440bhp cossie!..

[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiosity do S3's have a 155mph speed limiter like most modern performance cars?

Had my S3 up to an indicated 150mph but was then overtaken by my mate in his 440bhp cossie!..

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it, not even sure if a chipped S3 can hit 155mph actual speed, anyone tried?

I don't think they do, as neither (standard) model of the S3 is supposed to be capable of 155, therefore no need for a limiter.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it, not even sure if a chipped S3 can hit 155mph actual speed, anyone tried?

[/ QUOTE ]

ScoTTy said earlier that in his chipped TT he saw 265km/h on the aircon, which is over 155 actual speed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ScoTTy said earlier that in his chipped TT he saw 265km/h on the aircon, which is over 155 actual speed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I doubt the aircon speedo is that accurate, only a GPS system can prove you are doing 155mph for sure imo.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I doubt the aircon speedo is that accurate, only a GPS system can prove you are doing 155mph for sure imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

True but the car isn't going to know that it's genuinely doing 155mph, it only knows what it's sensors say, which is what is read out on the air con display.

Yeah, the aircon may not be 100% accurate, but I'm under the impression that it is alot more accurate than the speedo.

Tuffty, any read out only displays what its sensors say /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kev.

I remember reading somewhere that an S3 can do 167 mph because of the gearing, that's with modifications, I think on the right stretch of road you could easily do 155 even in a standard S3, maybe a downhill with wind behind though.

If I ever get a gps thingy again I'll try and find out for the collective.

managed over 155mph clock speed when going to Nurburgring last year, then my mate flew past me in his 968 turbo like i was standing still /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Since installing GPS difference between clock and actual speed is 4-5mph, so an actual speed of 155 in standard guise can be achieved.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

I know for a fact the 225 TTs are not limited. They didn't bother as the published max was 151.

Hi all
157 ish mph on standard revo map settings in less than a mile on slight uphill gradient at 6100 rpm two up and more to come ! i did get my S2 off the clock on two occasions when i had it thats 170 + with a remap but that was a few years back and the XK8 at the side of me stopped at 155 when his limiter cut in and he was not too happy.
Cheers "Bingo"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all
157 ish mph on standard revo map settings in less than a mile on slight uphill gradient at 6100 rpm two up and more to come ! i did get my S2 off the clock on two occasions when i had it thats 170 + with a remap but that was a few years back and the XK8 at the side of me stopped at 155 when his limiter cut in and he was not too happy.
Cheers "Bingo"

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one!

Just noticed your sig bingo; Imola yellow with Black leather/blue ala interior - was that factory or have you retro fitted the interior??? any pics???

on a run too plymouth there and back (private road of course) from the midlands my A3 TDi Quattro was pulling 140 no problems, passed a few S3's too, lol!! Dont think stock brakes are upto that sorta speed though! was down the A38 nr plymouth a few weeks back infront of a Octovia VRS then sundenly saw layby with van , lol, on came the brakes down to 60, lol, the barstuds, heard nothing thro the post !! lukily i keep my eyes peeled miles ahead of me

My mate's got a Cupra 225, says he's got 162 out of it on the Autobahn.

Is he bulls***ting?

[ QUOTE ]
My mate's got a Cupra 225, says he's got 162 out of it on the Autobahn.

Is he bulls***ting?

[/ QUOTE ]

ask r88per in a few weeks time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

All factory fit but cant sus out how to post any pictures unless you guys can give me some directions etc maybe pm me with instructions and i will see what i can do
Cheers "Bingo"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I've had my 1.8T Sport up to 144 MPH on the dash with the spec given below...Thought it wasn't bad myself...

Got up to 154 on the autobahn a few years back. Had to pull over to let some bloke in an estate car with his family go by.

140mph_and_1000rpm_left_to_go.sized.jpg

You were listening... to a "TAPE"?
What's one of them: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Got up to 154 on the autobahn a few years back. Had to pull over to let some bloke in an estate car with his family go by.

140mph_and_1000rpm_left_to_go.sized.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you were steering with your knees to take the photo... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

I've been to 136 in my TDI A3 on a private road (ahem) that was at about 3500rpm and it was still pulling hard.

I decided to back off after going past a 2CV which was doing about 50 - I think i scared the sh!te out of them - lol

[ QUOTE ]
I've been to 136 in my TDI A3 on a private road (ahem) that was at about 3500rpm and it was still pulling hard.

I decided to back off after going past a 2CV which was doing about 50 - I think i scared the sh!te out of them - lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard car ?

If so,the highest brake it can be putting it is 130bhp and 130bhp won't get you to 136mph with plenty still to come.

Given that my '05 140bhp tdi A3 takes over 26 seconds to get to 100mph,I find your comments a bit hard to swallow,for a standard motor.

It might,big might,get to an indicated 136mph eventually,but it would take a long time getting there and certainly wouldn't still be pulling hard.

Chipped,maybe,but even then it wouldn't still be "pulling hard" at 136mph.

You need serious horsepower for that,that even a mega-tuned tdi couldn't muster.

An indicated 150 is easily achievable on an S3 and i do indeed achieve this indication on a regular basis.

No more dangerous than doing 90+ in a heavy van IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
An indicated 150 is easily achievable on an S3 and i do indeed achieve this indication on a regular basis.

No more dangerous than doing 90+ in a heavy van IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try telling that to the judge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Had 135, when I had my old A3 1.8T 150bhp.

Had 145 out of my S3 when I drove it back from Germany when I imported it new back in 2002...(yes, its full uk car etc.). Solid as a rock at that speed - car and autobahn felt made for each other.

Not had the magic 150+ yet though. Too risky over here. Plus, I honestly think it would struggle to do 150+. Its great up to 120, but then progression slows down a fair bit, IMO.

I remember one lad, Benjy, who used to be on this and other forums, achieving an indicated 160+ in a 210 S3, whilst chasing a Porsche.

AL

[ QUOTE ]

I remember one lad, Benjy, who used to be on this and other forums, achieving an indicated 160+ in a 210 S3, whilst chasing a Porsche.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the slip stream! I doubt a 210 S3 could achieve an honest 160 otherwise.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the slip stream! I doubt a 210 S3 could achieve an honest 160 otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno Rich. It was a long time ago.