Got the S3 to 140mph . (not on public roads)

ianhg

Reaction score
Hey
I managed to get my car down the runway a few days ago, its just over a mile long and i got to 140 before braking. The guys said the thing sounded awsome . I had a 15mph headwind so was struggling at the end. Was nice to see what it felt like at that speed.m

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

I've had mine indicating 152 on the clocks with standard wheels, but backed off as it was getting a bit too fast. (Private road of course)

I know the speedo is probably a bit out at that speed before you say.

I have had 150mph on my private runway that i have nick named the M11 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

It was still pulling hard but thought best to slow down.

The car felt so stable it was unreal!

i got mine to 130 and pooooooooed myself having been driving a 1.4cl for the five years b4 i had no idea what power was!

Had 145 and still accelerating in my A3 TQ ...

Ive also been to 178 mph twice on my Fireblade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

ive dont 160 as a pillion on the back of a kawasaki zzr1100 - after that i went and got my bike license....

Had my S3 over 140mph racing an R32 on my 19", on my private road (A12), but had to back off because the crappy standard brakes.

all these speeds are well and good. but mine was upto 140 and back again in a mile in 30 seconds ish,
you lot had plenty of road to play with!

Picked up my car yesterday and its scaring the hell out of me! My previous one was a 1.1 Saxo with a heavy load of ICE and a whopping 60bhp!

Got it up to 90 but backed off. Will wait till I get on to a motorway.

60bhp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

my first car was a 3.0S capri with 160bhp standard.

Oh how times have changed

My first car was 54bhp of metro madness. Then 115bhp of cavalier power then i moved onto the good stuff im sure u will all agree hummm S3 poVVer!

I have always managed to double my bhp pretty much each time so the next upgrade is going to be rather rapid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Not too shabby for a 19 year old

your next cars an RS6 then?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I've had mine indicating 152 on the clocks with standard wheels, but backed off as it was getting a bit too fast. (Private road of course)

I know the speedo is probably a bit out at that speed before you say.

[/ QUOTE ]

152? not calling you a liar or anything of the sort but 152 sounds very high indeed - was is a super long road? I can't imagine mine ever reaching that speed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif lol.

Rob

i know my speedo reads 110 ish when the 100mph speed warning light come on so 140 on the clock is more like 120-130ish

i didnt have a gps system and my copper mate couldnt get a speed gun to test me

[ QUOTE ]
i didnt have a gps system and my copper mate couldnt get a speed gun to test me

[/ QUOTE ]

You could always use the aircon and work it back from km/h as I believe the aircon displays true speed?

Kev.

Highest reading ive seen on mine was 156mph before i backed off, how accurate that is is anyones guess.

I had a needles width over 140 on 'ahem' a private Motorway a couple of weeks back. I was also using a mates RoadAngel which was registering 140mph! This indicates my Speedo is approx 1 mph out at 140mph!
I'm guessing that the different rolling radius of 19" wheels makes the speedo more accurate...

Ade

i had my 1.8TQ doeing 145 on standard wheels with 3 of us in it and a boot full of luggage. not bad were my thoughts! was still pulling but run out of road and wasnt to sure of standard brakes at those speeds and at that weight..

bioharry, you must be paying a small fortune to be 19 and have a S3. The insurance must be stupiedly high. How much is it if you don't mind me asking?

I have just turned 21 and had my A3 1.8 for just over a year and thought I was doing quite well. Just renewed my insurance with 3 years NC and am still paying £740 Fully comp.

I Have a boost problem and the car goes into limp mode at 140mph, But a while ago was being very stupid had a full car and the car kept going past 140, And of course a big smile appeared on my face and i kept going, The car fell silent and due to the weight in the car we were doing around 160 and then my bottle went and everyone started to speak again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You could always use the aircon and work it back from km/h as I believe the aircon displays true speed?

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did this when I had my APR'ed TT. It displayed 265km/h. The needle was off the clock so I needed something to display the speed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

160 on clock uphill. still pulling a little

I have had my A4 145 load of times (my drive is super long!!) could probably get 150 but thats about the absolute max.
My first car when i was 17 was a pug 309GTI good fun car, then got the A4 when turned 19.

The A4 I have at the moment I've had indicating 145 without too much agro, probably would have been between 135 and 140 true speed, you can see how much your speedo over reads using the Aircon.

However, last year I had to get back to the UK in double quick time (emergency) from Germany, I drove for almost 2.5hours at over 130mph indicated all the way, except for getting out of the town I was in and slip roads between motorways, now thats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif knackering.

Thank god it was in the middle of the night and the motorways are well lit over there. I'm not too sure how I managed it, because if you told me now to jump in the car and drive like that I'd not want to, let alone try.

But the car coped well, and only got overtaken once /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kev.

wow with all these high speeds being reported it sounds a bit more realistic markb! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif I've just never taken my car to these speeds....I must admitt at 120 it still feels like it wants to go HEAPS more, but I would have thought 135 would have been an absolute max - no? I always back off at 120ish as it always appears I run out of tarmac! Think I need a runway too...

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
wow with all these high speeds being reported it sounds a bit more realistic markb! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif I've just never taken my car to these speeds....I must admitt at 120 it still feels like it wants to go HEAPS more, but I would have thought 135 would have been an absolute max - no? I always back off at 120ish as it always appears I run out of tarmac! Think I need a runway too...

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a problem mate as you say 152 is high.

Doing about 6,400 RPM so God knows what can be expected?

haha i know everyones gonna laugh at me here but i had my old vauxhall nova at about 140/150 ish.

It was certainly quicker than my current A3 1.8t quattro.

As i say, i reckon ive had the nova to 145 at least - and it had more in it. Had the A3TQ up to about 130 (which admittedly felt like 60 feels like in the nova haha)

145 in a nova is scaaaaaaary

[ QUOTE ]
haha i know everyones gonna laugh at me here but i had my old vauxhall nova at about 140/150 ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

2.0XE or C20LET?

I had an XE Corsa and it did fly.

2.0xe with 125bhp nitrous oxide, although wasnt using it for the top speed run (3am on a private large "ring road", if you get me hehe)

still miss the out and out grunt of the nova...its still on the drive but is rotten as **** and not insured on it anymore.

[ QUOTE ]
2.0xe with 125bhp nitrous oxide, although wasnt using it for the top speed run (3am on a private large "ring road", if you get me hehe)

still miss the out and out grunt of the nova...its still on the drive but is rotten as **** and not insured on it anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I miss my Corsa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Although the Audi is a proper well built car.

thats very true!

The thing i love most about the audi is revving to 6k and then just taking your foot off the clutch....and your gone

If i tried to give my nova more than 1/4 throttle in 1st even without the gas it would spin like a mother... although from 40 it was more or less on par with a uk spec scoob off gas, and totally blew it away on gas.

Still i know what you mean about being a well built car, the audi at 130 feels like the nova did at 50...Then again i did have spax coilover suspension on it (VERY hard) and the audi is still totally standard.

Got it going in for AMD dump valve, miltek stainless system and remap on thursday so that should see me a little happier with the speed.

Currently looking at building a C20LET front engined RWD stripped out Nova with nitrous.

That'll be ace...until i spin it on a roundabout during **** end action and have to start again!

[ QUOTE ]
thats very true!

The thing i love most about the audi is revving to 6k and then just taking your foot off the clutch....and your gone

If i tried to give my nova more than 1/4 throttle in 1st even without the gas it would spin like a mother... although from 40 it was more or less on par with a uk spec scoob off gas, and totally blew it away on gas.

Still i know what you mean about being a well built car, the audi at 130 feels like the nova did at 50...Then again i did have spax coilover suspension on it (VERY hard) and the audi is still totally standard.

Got it going in for AMD dump valve, miltek stainless system and remap on thursday so that should see me a little happier with the speed.

Currently looking at building a C20LET front engined RWD stripped out Nova with nitrous.

That'll be ace...until i spin it on a roundabout during **** end action and have to start again!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah my Corsa had Koni Coil overs and was very bumpy LOL

Although I do miss the Corsa. That's why I have bought another GSi which will be getting a C20LET in good time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just remember to be careful out there if you are running at these speeds, been in close shave once or twice and have since kept it at normal speeds.....however, if you want to max out the car find the A34.

I would also like to say that the pull from 100-110 in 6th is awesome (got a 225 S3). Why the pull is so strong I can only guess is that I am in the boost range in that gear so the torque is at it's most strong, is this correct?

ooh the A34.. going southbound just before the M4/ NEwbury junction... a large downhill run... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ooh the A34.. going southbound just before the M4/ NEwbury junction... a large downhill run... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep i know that one... Nailed a 330Ci when my A3 was jsut chipped... Wouldnt bother anymore..would be no challenge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A standard S3 will show 150 mph on the clocks no problem. I do this almost on a daily basis and my Road angel reads 4mph slower than my clocks.