GETTING VERY BORING NOW......

• Thread starter imported_AudiAuto
  • Start date
In my experience, those who continually complain about the bad handling of a particular car (Audi or otherwise) are either driving at the car's limit, which is difficult on the public highway, or more commonly, poor drivers. Driving a car at it's limit is an acquired skill which most of us will never perfect. If it's that bad, buy something else. If it's you, get some tuition (or stop complaining) - A good driver can make an average car go very quickly. So I'm told.

[ QUOTE ]
berts S3 said:
To be honest though there's nowt wrong with the a3 1.6 auto but then again you just ask your self why bother modding it,its not like your going to meet an s3 and kick its ****,the best thing todo is to save your money and either buy a bmw,audi or whatever takes your fancy because by the time youve finished modding the old autobox it still wont be in the same class of performance and they money you spent doing it would have morethan likely got you a better handling faster car.You also tend to notice cars more when your on the look out for them aswell i never saw many s3's till i got mune the they just seemed to crawled out of the wood work.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, im not in the slightest bit interested in kicking an S3's ***. Not least becuase its not gonna happen, and also becuase that pretty sad. Once again though, heres someone jumping to the conclusion that just becuase someone wants to mod a low-ish range car, they want it to either go faster, or faster then the top range model. This is not the reason, i couldn't care less about the speed, i want to mod it purely for looks reasons. If i can do a £1000 worth of mods yet have no increase in power, i wouldn't care less, as long as them mods made my car LOOK better. The only time i would try and make a car quicker is if i had a performance car to start with, ie an M3, S3, GTO etc etc.

But it is true that by the time i have finished moddin it, it will still be a 1.6 auto. Thats why i am thinking of selling it and getting maybe a 1.8t or a BMW 323 coupe or something. The only thing is, i love BMW coupes, and i just can't see myself spending £10000 on what is basically a hatchback car (1.8T), when for the same money i can have a BMW 318Ci coupe.

[ QUOTE ]
djmotorsport said:
In my experience, those who continually complain about the bad handling of a particular car (Audi or otherwise) are either driving at the car's limit, which is difficult on the public highway, or more commonly, poor drivers. Driving a car at it's limit is an acquired skill which most of us will never perfect. If it's that bad, buy something else. If it's you, get some tuition (or stop complaining) - A good driver can make an average car go very quickly. So I'm told.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think i would agree with that at all. I don't think you need to be either a racing car driver or driving a car to its limits to complain about bad handling. I think most of us (who are at least quite good drivers, and have pretty good knowledge of handling) can tell the difference between a car that feels good to drive or doesn't.
If i gave you a 1.4l metro do drive, would you have to drive it to its limits to complain it doesn't handle well? Or would you have to be schumacher to complain it doesn't handle well? No.

Good point, I'm no schumacher but I could tell within minutes that my old Astra Cesaro (co. car) handled like, well, like a Vauxhall. Pushing it to it's limit wasn't an option.
As you say dj:
"A good driver can make an average car go very quickly"
In the same way as a well sorted chassis can make a poor driver go very quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Just Plain Old said:
I think Pimp is being 'stereotypical' again! What he really means is that he would prefer a BMW 318 with an M3 bodykit and badge, and perhaps a 'tad' more jewelry....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And whats wrong with one of these?

[/ QUOTE ]

Errrm .............. Nothing, it's just what Pimps looking for........... As he admitted in his later post!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
pimpmyaudi said:

I think most of us (who are at least quite good drivers, and have pretty good knowledge of handling) can tell the difference between a car that feels good to drive or doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ...
Firstly, I have grave doubts that the majority of people (including on here) have a true definition of what a 'proper' handling car should do. Without this how are people able to accurately diagnose why the car does not handle well?

To be able to make an honest appraisal of a cars handling. you have to be able to assess the chassis attributes, understand fully what IS happening, what IS NOT happening, and how to make the proper things happen and the incorrect things go away.
You also need to be able to drive...that's not drive fast, or read magazines and agree with what some [censored] has written...but to actually be able to put the car into certain situations and then evaluate it's responses.
Without the knowledge and driving ability, the results are at best hopelessly subjective.

For this reason, I say that the majority of people do NOT have a good knowledge of handling, nor do they posess particularly good driving skills - for this type of argument.

Sure, anyone can jump into a car and say it feels bad...but are they actually able to accurately describe why it feels bad?

In reply to DJ:

[ QUOTE ]
djmotorsport said:
In my experience, those who continually complain about the bad handling of a particular car (Audi or otherwise) are either driving at the car's limit, which is difficult on the public highway, or more commonly, poor drivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.
A bad workman blames his tools...etc...

A competant driver will make good process in a very poor handling car...it's all about understanding where you can use the attributes the chassis has, and how to avoid the pitfalls of the weaknesses.

In my view, anyone that tells you they drive on the limit on the road is a liar.
Do they even know where the limit is?
I don't on my S3...and I have no intention of finding out...you can understand and re-engineer many things about a car without going anywhere near the limit on the road.

I have found the limit of one of my previous cars on the public highway - 20 seconds later it was £17,000 worth of written off scrap.
The limit, is not a place you play with lightly.

[ QUOTE ]

Driving a car at it's limit is an acquired skill which most of us will never perfect. If it's that bad, buy something else. If it's you, get some tuition (or stop complaining) - A good driver can make an average car go very quickly. So I'm told.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wise words indeed...

Until YOU are out driving the car (this doesn't mean at the limit) there's no need to upgrade...sort yourself out first.
Once the car starts to hold you back, then you upgrade.

On the subject of nasty handling cars...you'd be surprised how well you can get them to go point to point given a lot of practice and some lateral thinking!

[ QUOTE ]
djmotorsport said:

[/ QUOTE ]

As witnessed on a karting track a few months back! Whilst everyone complained that one kart handled terribly and lost about 1.5s per lap, DJ got on with the job at only dropped a few tenths /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I have had some excellent sport in ill handling cars, especially at the expense of modified queens in imprezas! As Glen says, you take your advantages where you can, and cut your losses where you lose out.

Anyone want to start the ESP on/ off discussion again? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It'll be game over again for this thread like the other one gimp or sorry pimp started before.Its a good ploye to get your post count up fair sharpish though and hes entitled to his opinion just like the rest of us after all its fun at the end of the day.But it has got like its title now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

David, whats the EPS on/off discussion? Sounds interesting. Have to say, usually when the light comes on its because I'm turning in to hard, making the inside front wheel to spin, loosing grip and creating understeer. Learned this at a Performance Driving course at Knockhill (in the S).

My S3 doesn't have ESP, which makes it a proper drivers car with no electronic aids to slow down my progress... YEAH RIGHT!... I'll get my coat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

boringthread.jpg

PPS

gaythread.jpg

Parting shot, i'm off on holiday now!!!

So we'll stick a pin in that.

@ ScotSTHREE : Your point about esp is spot on - it only comes on when you are driving the car stupidly (and therefore more slowly that is max potential) There is a school of though that would suggest that ESP is in some way limp wristed and should be off all the time.....

@ Jayfrst : Sorry we can't entertain you, copy of Noddy's big adventure in the post for you...