Gear box oil.

nickaudi41

Reaction score
:jester: I'm thinking about changing my oil for the gearbox. Does anyone done this beofore on there S3?

Also what oil do I need and where to get it?

Apparently the gearbox is a sealed unit but the oil can be changed. Do a search i m sure somone bought some expensive stuff & used that. There is a particular grade required. Not sure of labour costs etc. Just dont go Audi.

yes you can change it, very easy, there are 2 drain plugs, one on the gearbox and one on the bevel box, and a fill plug.

you may as well do the rear diff oil (its different to the haldex oil before anyone asks!)

I used Silkolene SYN5 fully synthetic trans oil 75w90 GL4/5 so it can be used in both. (One is GL4 the other should be GL5)

I got the oil from opie oils

Is the fill plug on the top, like most gearboxes? Hence having to use a proper filling tool or a large syringe?

I tend to chuck an extra £10 and the oil at the garage when I have needed it done in the past as its not worth the hassle of getting covered in gearbox oil when you dont have the right tools, as hand pumps seem to be IMPOSSIBLE to get these days.