FL S3 turbo?

dadracer55

Reaction score
I was at the garage with my wifes Golf GTi today and talking to the owner who was asking about my FL S3. He said he believes that the turbo on the FL is different to the one on the PFL car and is the one VW were going to use for the Golf R400 but didn't. He was saying they had down some tuning on a couple of Golf R 7.5 and they were making 390 bhp with a very small boost increase. Is this true????

I was at the garage with my wifes Golf GTi today and talking to the owner who was asking about my FL S3. He said he believes that the turbo on the FL is different to the one on the PFL car and is the one VW were going to use for the Golf R400 but didn't. He was saying they had down some tuning on a couple of Golf R 7.5 and they were making 390 bhp with a very small boost increase. Is this true????
The turbo used is a revision from the PFL cars. And with a small tune, you can see at least 40hp gain, but with a downpipe, even higher.

It doesn't take much money to get an extra 100hp.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cool, so kind of true. Yes but he was surprised having tuned the PFL cars and Golf R 7 at how easily it boosted.

The turbo used is a revision from the PFL cars. And with a small tune, you can see at least 40hp gain, but with a downpipe, even higher.

It doesn't take much money to get an extra 100hp.

But' more money then for a new clutch!

There's quite a few different turbos across the ages.

But yes, had mine dyno'd at the same time as a face-lift. Mine made 323 standard his was 330. Both had a stage 1 APR map and R600, mine got 385 his was 395. Had for about £700

Here is my A3 8v quattro with an is38 hybrid turbo and only at 22psi.

On the is20, and supporting mods, I was around 300-330whp.

Reactions: AndyKnight