1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FBMFSW+Shark FIN + 2011 RNS-E + SDS + Audi Phoneprep Bluetooth oh and NHN (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Mins, May 23, 2011.

1. Mins

Mins New Member

Before I start my story:

'The purpose of this thread is to show everyone Nigel's (NHN's) amazing work on my car. All parts sourced by him, all OEM and all fitted by him within a day. Parts were new and flawless'. I recommend him highly. No fuss, no quibble and if you're like me (stressful job with no spare time on your hands) this is the only option. You get what you pay for, and in Nigel's case the best parts and best service.

• Audi Cruise Control
    • Audi BT Phone and prep kit (Bluetooth)
    • Audi SDS
    • FBMFSW with Sline Badge
    • 2011 MK2 RNS-E Unit
    • Audi Shark Fin Antenna
    Since there has been quite a few Nigel appreciation threads, I thought I would jump on the bandwagon and give my two cents on what I think about the bloke. Well in a word: LEGEND. The guy is not only a dab hand with Audi's but a decent bloke. Not only have I come away with a whole load of new s**t for my car, but a really good mate.

Anyway, for those who don't know me (no one will apart from Nigel), my name is Mins and reside in the Southern part of our beautiful country. I love what you guys do to your cars, but due to my stressful job, I just don't have time or patience to do any work myself. Cue ASN and Nigel.

I got in touch with Nigel after reading that he was the modding guru.

I posted some pictures of my pride and joy a while back: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...y-some-pictures-my-a3-2-0tdi-sline-170-a.html

Before I get to the pictures, for those of you who spend thousands of pounds on your cars but are too stingy to by VCDS - buck up your ideas and BUY IT. To me, it is probably the most essential thing for your car after insurance :arco:. Once again. Thanks Nige for also supplying that.

Rant over: time for the pic's: (naturally the first few pictures are of me showing off my pride and joy_)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheel off in prep for FBMFSW and cruise control:

[​IMG]

Shield Airbag out:

[​IMG]

Bluetooth Mic goes in here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passenger seat out so that bluetooth module can go underseat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New radio antenna

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, hope you've enjoyed the write up! Big thanks to Nige one again!

Cheers,
    Mins

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. N8

N8 Kowalski Details
    VCDS Map User

Fantastic work! NHN hooking mans up as usual :wub:

4. Kelza

Kelza MODERATOR
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User Audi RS3

wow stunning great work nigel....:yes::yes:

5. matt_hilluk

matt_hilluk facebook.com/m9tbh

feel rude for asking but thinking about doing it to mine so, personal message me if you wish, but how much did it cost for the new headunit, bluetooth kit and fbmfsw?

6. Mins

Mins New Member

Best person to ask re: cost is Nigel mate. Sorry for sounding rude but cost is between myself and Nigel. Drop him a PM directly and he can advise you personally. Trust me you won't be disappointed. :icon_thumright:

7. ckman85

ckman85 Member

Nige is a top man. He installed my MY09 rear lights and cruise control, next up from him r Bi-Xenon headlights :-D and looking at the pics above i really wanna get RNS 2 and FBMFSW done too?

Damn forums, just makes u wanna do more :-D

8. ~RS~

~RS~ Active Member

Ah yes the cutting a hole in roof moment :sos::notme: lol All turned out very nicely though... I'm very jealous of the MK2 RNS-E will be upgrading mine soon.

Tidy job, as expected tbh with Nige... He did pretty much the same job on my SB a couple years back except the cruise. Bet your loving it :)

9. mkimjoon

mkimjoon Member

hi can NHN come live in Cali? :) nate too

10. N8

N8 Kowalski Details
    VCDS Map User

:laugh: hey bro!

11. Bugsy_27

Bugsy_27 Vorsprung Durch Technik

Job well done there Nigel, much better improvement inside.

Is your car brilliant black or phantom black mins?

12. 1inchpunch

1inchpunch Member

Jealous! I'd like to do most of this stuff but sadly my job isn't stressful enough (the pay reflects this) :(

Loving your wheels as well Mins. Are they anthracite? I wanted new wheels but the more I see the standard S line ones in this colour the more I think it's a better idea to just refurb.

mkimjoon, I'll come live in Cali if you'll put me up. I'll be no use to help with your car but hey.

13. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!!
    VCDS Map User

good work Nige!! cant believe how much work is involved........

I wonder if its possible to retrofit the black RNS II screen surround - I've had mine in bits, its just can you source the part? :)

14. S3RYE

S3RYE Interior Next!!

wow... Nige really is then "MAN!"

i Need one of these new RNSEeeeees!!!

15. poli84

poli84 Member

Why was the shield airbag removed from the old wheel?
    Was the airbag reused on the FBSW?

16. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk
    Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User Audi A5 quattro

the airbag would need to be removed to get the steering wheel off anyway.
    Lovely work Nigel! that Sharkfin looks like a scary install having to cut the roof! what does that give you btw?

17. Blueie

Blueie He who dears' wins!!

Looking SWEET! Good Job Nige!!

18. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!!
    VCDS Map User

A cool fin and a few more satalites ;)

19. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk
    Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User Audi A5 quattro

so its more of an RNSe thing? I like the look of it on cars i see but i didnt really know if it was for radio station signals/GPS/mobile phone antenna?
    seeing as i dont have an audi phone kit in my car it wouldnt make sense in me having one of these installed.
    Top job on it nonetheless!

20. Mins

Mins New Member

Certainly does want to make you do more mate. LED rear lights planned next :laugh:

21. Mins

Mins New Member

Absolutely loving it. IMO it has transformed the car. Cruise is definitely worth getting!

22. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  23. Mins

Mins New Member

Thanks mate. They indeed are Anthracite, I had the same sort of thoughts as yourself, but instead went for the refurb. Cheap yet effective option.

24. Mins

Mins New Member

It is brilliant black mate. I bought myself one of those DA polishers and a whole load of other essential cleaning products for the car. Absolutely transforms the paint work.

25. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
    Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

Thankyou ever so much for the kind words chaps & especially Mins me old china aka Aladdin lmfao, apologies for delay in replying.

Was a long day for sure, started at 8ish & finished about 12 hours later, its a long fairly involved job for all that technology to be installed, I was already knackered from lack of sleep & Mins was like a cat on heat after 20 red bulls brimming with excitement, which understandably he would be with all the mods I had to do that day, proof shows it was well worth it & tbh I was extremely happy with the results, not I expected any less (no big headedness either) but the transformation & resulting usefulness of the whole system was fairly dramatic & just to see Mins face at end was worth the job, lit up like a 3yr old kid on xmas morning, lol.

Yeah drilling the roof is always a fairly nervous time, but getting the position dead center & making sure the tailgate doesnt interfere when lifted, is the most time consuming, think I measure it 20 times each 1 I've done lol, but resulting was to get much better sats received & tbh I always think the car strangely looks better with the sharkfin fitted.

We had some funny moments, the 1 with just the front passenger seat sitting in his parking bay had us in stitches, where's the rest of my car lmfao, but I also have to say, great client, but also made a real good friend, kept in contact & most certainly was a pleasure to 1st meet him & 2nd to get his car kitted out.

I look forward to our next meet up to hopefully enjoy a wicked Ruby, thanks for a fun day Mins & see you upon your return from hols :)

26. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

Good for you Nige, nice appraisal :)

27. NHN

Thanks man, think one of his favourites is the cruise control, saved him on fuel for sure, probably take a fair few miles to recoup his costs for the job, but its not all about the money hey paddy :)

28. paddy

If it was about the money mate we would all be in Nissan Cubes
    Gotta have cruise, its my favourite accessory :) fitted new roof light today 10 min job, excellent......need some TT vents next... 8J0 820 901 D ...Anyone ? :)

29. NHN

LMFAO thats true, yeah those vents arent cheap huh, nearly fell of my couch reading the price each!!!

30. paddy

Havnt found a price yet ? Go on...make me fall off the couch too :)

31. Shane.

Shane. Member

Very nice mate, looks like top work as always from Nige, wish my MFSW retrofit had gone this smoothly :( still having problems now

32. paddy

Whats the problem mate ?

33. Shane.

Shane. Member

-First time round was sold an A4 steering wheel so had airbag fitment problems
    -Then managed to pick up A3 wheel with an airbag, then realised the steering ECU was right but the slipring wasn't.
    -Picked up a slipring off someone here, went to fit it all but then realised the guy I bought the wheel off had taken the internal cables off for some reason (the one that links the airbag/steering controls to the slipring)
    -We had a spare MK5 R32 mfsw at the garage so tried to nab the leads off that but they were single stage airbag and the steering control plug was slightly different :(
    -Ordered what were hoping are the correct cables but they come in 2 bits apparently and one is out of stock until next week (the one that turned up today is some ribbon cable with what appears to be the same plug either end which doesn't seem right to me)

34. NHN

£73 each for the alum trim version, ouch did you feel that in the butt as I did :)

35. paddy

Looks like e-bay then :) Got a question about ambient lighting leds mate, shall i start a thread in case others are interested or PM you ??

Sorry to hear that shane, just asked to see if i could help but if its just a part ordering thing, not much i can do :)

36. Wizza

Wizza BÜBENGRÖPEN

Nice work there :D impressive!

37. robert s3

robert s3 New Member

Nigel installed my 2011 rnse sat nav in my s3. I must say he is one of the best blokes out there.he did a spot on job and treated the car as if it was his own.

38. ryanstewart9

ryanstewart9 Member

Well done on another great job Nigel.

Out of curiosity, how is the gps lead fed from the shark fin? Is it along the roof & down the A pillar or down the tailgate and along the outside floor with the rest of the wiring? (if that makes sense)

39. Tracebuzta

Tracebuzta Member

Great install, love your seats btw :whistle2:

40. Chappy

Chappy Call me Dan!
    Audi A5

Transformed the interior!! The RNS looks so much better then the VW RNS counter-parts, much more professional look :)
    Good work Nigel!

41. TheAshman

TheAshman TFSI Addict...

RNS-E and bluetooth would finish my car off completely! I'm so jealous! The install looks top drawer and if i can finally manage to save up some money i'll defninately have it done!

42. 55_UK

55_UK Y.N.W.A.

the interior is top! barring the mats :laugh: