Exhaust explanation and advise?

Tempzbap

Reaction score
Hi all, just got me self a A3 2.0 TFSI 2WD 3dr, have to say it puts a smile on my face every time I put my foot down.

Very happy with the purchase, now however am trying to find the right exhaust for me car and I was hoping someone would kindly share some insight with me.

Am currently in the market for a Cat-Back and then eventually a Down-pipe. I want a nice deep exhaust similar to stock but loud enough to turn heads. Am not sure If Milltek Non resonated Cat-Back is any good, or If other brands such as Jetex and Supersprint provide a better sounding exhaust possibly cheaper?

My budget is £500 for the Cat-back at the moment and was wondering if anyone could point in the right direction as to which company has the most similar sound to stock but louder?

Secondly What is 'needed' in the exhaust setup in order to pass M.O.T?

I do apologies if this has been discussed, just signed up today and was looking for some answers, thank you in advance.

My son had a non resonated catback on a Golf7R and it was quite loud and sporty. You could certainly hear him coming. However the fact it was non resonated meant it droned a lot at motorway speeds. It did get better as it sorted up but it was still there. However giving it the beans was quite rewarding.
An exhaust needs a Cat if it is to pass the MOT.
Any Decatted down pipe will fail.

Reactions: Tempzbap
also loudness matter as there is law that allow up to some Db of sound measurement. But if you don't care about it, i think miltek will be not only sound but airt flow optimized, that the main scope of changing it.

Thank you both for the info! I think I may keep the OEM down-pipe with a Milltek cat-back, called a local provider and said theres a non-resonated version with a small silencer. Will see how it goes next week.

I'm having a scorpion cat back fitted in 2 weeks along with a remap so I will let you know how it is

Please do, ill be looking around to see if I can find any decent videos out there.

The downpipe does not really add to the sound in my experience with an APR downpipe. The sports cat is just much less restrictive than the oem cats and so the stage 2 map releases more power.
So the catback makes it more noisy but does not add to the power capability.

The downpipe does not really add to the sound in my experience with an APR downpipe. The sports cat is just much less restrictive than the oem cats and so the stage 2 map releases more power.
So the catback makes it more noisy but does not add to the power capability.

What about a De-cat down-pipe with the original Cat-back? You think its going to be any louder? Also another question for you fellas, is getting a down-pipe must be combined with a stage 2 map or could you make use of it with stage 1?

I fitted a milltek downpipe with sports cat. While cruising its not much different in sound. Only little louder but on boost. Its way louder and deeper than standard

That is interesting about the Milltek giving you more sound whereas the APR does not really alter the sound. This might be explained by the fact that the APR pipe has a resonator box whereas other makers do not.
You can run the downpipe on a stage 1 but you may have a light on the dash. Remember, a decat will not pass the MOT.

Yeah at first i was like meh i wanted it louder. But on boost its fine. Done mine in prep for stage2+

So, I ended up deleting the silencer on the stock Cat-back and it sounds awesome if not louder then the Milltek Cat-back. Best mod I've done. I am going from stock to stage 2 in the next 2-4 weeks. Currently stock at 197bhp. Mods for stage 2 include 3inch Decat-downpipe, Revo induction kit, Airtech stage 2 intercooler (will upgrade in 2 months) with V power estimated to be at 260-270 bhp and 340-380 NM. Possibly DSG remap too in the near future.

I think I will be happy then!

Ive since done the little flap in the exhaust at the back. Made that keep open. Makes a difference low down

So, I ended up deleting the silencer on the stock Cat-back and it sounds awesome if not louder then the Milltek Cat-back. Best mod I've done. I am going from stock to stage 2 in the next 2-4 weeks. Currently stock at 197bhp. Mods for stage 2 include 3inch Decat-downpipe, Revo induction kit, Airtech stage 2 intercooler (will upgrade in 2 months) with V power estimated to be at 260-270 bhp and 340-380 NM. Possibly DSG remap too in the near future.

I think I will be happy then!

Did it make a difference with dsg farts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My downpipe did...

Downpipe is on my future list when I start looking for power but just looks and sound for me right now, would love some dsg gunshots

My downpipe did...

Downpipe is on my future list when I start looking for power but just looks and sound for me right now, would love some dsg gunshots

My downpipe did...

My downpipe did...

When I start seeking power I'll get downpipe, just looks n sounds right now, would love some dsg gunshots

My downpipe did...

When I start seeking power I'll get downpipe, just looks n sounds right now, would love some dsg gunshots

My downpipe did...

Sorry for all those messages, Tapatalk playing up