Engine tapping sometimes

Tony77

Reaction score
Hello guys I wonder if anyone can help I got n a3 from 2001 nearly 200000 on the clock engine runs fine and starts , when engine is hot it starts tapping then I switch it off and on again then the noise is gone!!! Thanks boys

You sure its not the EVAP valve on top of the charcoal canister?

<tuffty/>

Not sure but like I said it's not all the time and when it does that noise I switch it off and on again and the noise is gone

Tuffty I think that's the problem just seen one video in YouTube with same problem as mine

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399658097019819 is it this the problem?

Can we take it off??

Why? if all you are worried about is the noise then there is no reason at all to worry about it... the EVAP valve ticking is perfectly normal... they all do it...

Removing parts of the EVAP system is doable but you will need it to be coded out in the map and to run a resister to replace the valve as well as extending the vent pipe that comes from the tank to the canister as the tank still needs venting... you may get the smell of fuel in the car after doing this...

<tuffty/>

View attachment 33281 is it this the problem?

Well... its not a problem as its doing what its designed to do... the only problem I can see from that pic is that the charcoal canister looks like its missing...

Doing this typically throws an N80 incorrect flow fault code if not mapped out

<tuffty/>

Tuffty if u go on YouTube and type Audi a3 tapping noise it's the second video , my one does same noise , I don't think is the evap valve!! Thanks

Just post the video here (to avoid confusion) because by your instructions I get a 2005 audi a3 2.0 FSI video and I'm not sure that is what you meant. However if that's the video you meant, then if it is the problematic cam chain tensioner in your car then the rattle should be coming from the passenger (airbox, battery etc.) side of the engine. If it's coming from the other side it is likely something else or youre confusing it with the EVAP tap.

So please post a video link here, because the third video already is an 8L one and would make much more sense.

Disconnect the EVAP valve electrically and see if the noise goes away.. you may get a CEL but you can clear this using VCDS

<tuffty/>

Yeah I used that video but my one makes same noise lol any clues??

Not answered my question in post 19...

Mechanical noise and rough running can be sticking follower or possibly a bent rod

<tuffty/>

Hey guys finally I sorted my problem out and it was the pike up pipe that needed cleaning it was only tapping when I was pushing on high revs ...here it is a picture after it was clean

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416864486495.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416864486495.jpeg
    698.6 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: VAG-Slag

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416864657312.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416864657312.jpeg
    698.6 KB · Views: 103
I just fixed my tapping ticking noise.

It was definitely the EVAP / n80 valve because when unplugged. No noise. It would only happen loudly on revving/ acceleration. Once at cruising speed the noise would subside.

Swapped with one from wreckers. Noise still there but a lot less however a month later it's just as loud.

Fix? WD40

Unplugged and removed from canister. WD40 in the tube where the hose was. Open up the valve by running 12v through (I used a colt adapter and attached alligator clip to the right side connector. Then clicked the valve open by snapping the +ve on and off the other connector while blowing into the tube where I WD40'd.

Did this a couple times. Re-fit = JOY because it's so quiet!!!