Engine noise at low rpm!! Help please.

Chops77

Reaction score
Hi all.
Just purchased this 2005 audi a4 avant 2ltr tdi last week and im having a few teething issues!

The car has covered 81k with fsh and has had the head and oil pump replaced at some point but not at a dealership (guy who i bought car from owned a garage and done it themselves)

when driving in any gear,but only in low revs,upto 2000rpm, there is a rattle/knocking sound. Its hard to describe the noise but its only in the low revs when driving. It doesnt make the noise on idle or past 2000rpm!!

If your very gentle on the throttle it doesnt make the noise either!

I work at a vw dealership and have had the mastertech take a drive in it and he cant decide what the noise is but says its a "pinking sound"and it could be from being badly timed back up when the cam belt was done or it could be the flywheel (or something completly different!!)

Now with myself not being mechancally minded at all,im at a loss at what to do first, so wondered if anyone has had a similar issue or could help with any sort of diagnosis.

I have an iphone video/sound of the noise put cant find out how to upload it!
Thanks

Ive no idea what that is!! Im not mechanically minded.

This is the noise. Please excuse the quality!
Its from 1000rpm upto 2000rpm

You say oil pump was done. What exactly was done do it? Could have been the infamous 2.0TDI oil pump chain failure and they just replaced the minimal parts required, but the noise may still be coming from that area. Can't listen to your video right now, but something to consider.

Its had the oil pump failure, but has had a brand new head and geared oil pump conversion done.
It has also had a brand new turbo fitted.

I know the flywheel is knocking slightly, but that wouldnt cause this noise in every gear at the same rpm would it??

Could this noise be down to the flywheel? Would it make this noise upto this rev range then dissapear?!
Ive noticed more lately that the flywheel is getting noisier (i think)
Just not sure if it would completly dissapear after 2000rpm.
Some more vids i took today of the sound are below

This is me with the handbrake on and engaging the clutch.