B7 3.0 tdi strange noise at high rpm

Marko Markovina

Reaction score
Hey guys, so recently I have changed all the chains and tensioners and theres no more startup rattle and the car runs great! Anyways yeasterday I have noticed a strange noise on very hogh rpm mostly after 3000 in all gears... Can oly be heard If you turn off the radio and cooling system! Sometimes is there sometimes you cant hear a thing! It's really hard to describe even when you take your foot of the throttle you can stil hear it! First I thought it might be some crap plastic vibration from the interior but now Im pretty shure it's coming out from the engine! Hope it has nothing to do with the fuel pump and turbo...

Can you here the noise on tick over? If not, I'd rev the engine slightly when stationary to see if you can hear the noise again. If you can then I'd look at the turbo veins by removing the plastic pipe that comes from the air filter housing, see if the veins ate rubbing on the turbo housing.
As far as I'm aware the turbo kicks in around 3k revs which is why I'm thinking it may be the turbo.
If the veins are rubbing then it's likely that the turbo have had oil starvation.
Just a hunch as the noise description is vague.
Hope that helps.

Turbo kicks in around 2200 rpm cause it's tdi sound can only be heard after 3000 and not always also it can be heard when driving slowly at those high rpms so it's not the turbo! I recon it's something in the interior of the car... Some damn plastic that vibrates when engine reach certain vibration... It's pain in the ***! Also thers no loss of power whatsoever and engine was out 2 weeks ago so I guess mechanic would have seen an oil leak or something... We have been changing chains and tensioners! I'm 99.9% shure the sound is not coming from the engine!

That's good news then. Just turn up the music!!

It's so annoying when you know it's there and you can't help yourself 2 listen 2 it every time! I will wait for the spring and warmer days to check it out... Recently I've been putting 2 din cage and changing some knobs... Have to check it all out... But it does sound like it's somewhere beyond tacho.... First I had a chain rattle so I gave 1500 euro to change the damn things cause it was annoying af and now I've got this crap... Lol