Engine mount prices making me cry...

SDHA4SLine

Reaction score
Hi all

Been searching the internet for hours sending off emails to all manner of companies trying to source the engine mounts cheaper than the stealers & tps.

Can anyone recommend an company to try to get the engine mounts listed below? local TPS are only about £5 cheaper that Audi:-(

8E0 199 379 BF - N/S ENGINE MOUNT AUDI RETAIL £139.51
8E0 199 382 AG - O/S ENGINE MOUNT AUDI RETAIL £118.72

Regards
Steve

Hey Steve,

Firstly for which vehicle are you needing the mounts for?

Is the vehicle modified?

And were about are you based?

Regards
Gio

Hi Gio,

Audi A4 Avant S Line 2.0 tdi (170 hp) BRD engine.

No mods, totally standard.

Midlands UK.

Regards
Steve

Your only realy choice is just to buy them really, I looked round for cheaper ones in Germany etc and couldn't find any.

In the end I got lucky and found two brand new ones on ebay for £90, bargain!

Thanks stevegrass777, I would rather keep them standard as I don't want extra noise/vibration in the cabin as these describe in the notes. Just really hoping to save a bit on OEM ones. You know sometimes 3rd party companies buy bulk at discounted prices and can offer genuine parts at knock down prices. Its just finding getting lucky and finding these suppliers that's the issue !!!

Regards
Steve

Did you consider these? http://www.awesomegti.com/car/audi/a4b7/034motorsport-density-line-engine-mounts-pair-audi-a4-b7

Or were those the ones you were referring too?

Street Density:

The Street Density Engine Mount Pair is manufactured from 50 durometer rubber, which is approximately 10% stiffer than stock. Since the mounts are also void-free and solid-filled, the resulting mount is approximately 25% stiffer than stock. The mount bases are made from steel, and are much stronger than the factory aluminum ones, to cope with the added stress of spirited driving.

The result is greatly reduced drivetrain slop, crisper shifting, and minimal wheel hop, without any significant increase in noise, vibration, or harshness (NVH) inside of the cabin. These mounts are a completely re-engineered performance solution, not just inserts for use with the factory mounts.

Did you consider these? http://www.awesomegti.com/car/audi/a4b7/034motorsport-density-line-engine-mounts-pair-audi-a4-b7

Or were those the ones you were referring too?

Street Density:

The Street Density Engine Mount Pair is manufactured from 50 durometer rubber, which is approximately 10% stiffer than stock. Since the mounts are also void-free and solid-filled, the resulting mount is approximately 25% stiffer than stock. The mount bases are made from steel, and are much stronger than the factory aluminum ones, to cope with the added stress of spirited driving.

The result is greatly reduced drivetrain slop, crisper shifting, and minimal wheel hop, without any significant increase in noise, vibration, or harshness (NVH) inside of the cabin. These mounts are a completely re-engineered performance solution, not just inserts for use with the factory mounts.

Hi,

No I didn't see those but as I understand it if you use these you have to do some messing with the cars brains as they don't have sensers do they ?

Regards
Steve

Well that all depends if your car has the sensors or not? Now a lot of vehicles that are manual dont have the engine mount sensors. Mostly Autos had the sensors , or your more premium range like S4 and RS4.

Well that all depends if your car has the sensors or not? Now a lot of vehicles that are manual dont have the engine mount sensors. Mostly Autos had the sensors , or your more premium range like S4 and RS4.

Oh right, this is why these forums are good. I just assumed they all had them on at least one side. I can see that the n/s one doesn't but haven't checked o/s.

Is it a case of both would have them or none at all. Or could it be that the o/s does even though n/s doesn't ?

I got the part numbers from audi dealer so know they are correct. if anyone out there has any access to etka to confirm if they have sensers or not I would be very appreciative.

Regards
Steve

They actually aren't too bad for street use. Not to mention they have a lifetime warranty!

Has anyone tried the 034 Motorsport street density mounts ?

Oh right, this is why these forums are good. I just assumed they all had them on at least one side. I can see that the n/s one doesn't but haven't checked o/s.

Is it a case of both would have them or none at all. Or could it be that the o/s does even though n/s doesn't ?

I got the part numbers from audi dealer so know they are correct. if anyone out there has any access to etka to confirm if they have sensers or not I would be very appreciative.

Regards
Steve

It all depends.Some can have a sensor on one side or both.

Looking at ETKA, neither seem to have sensors. But yet looking up 8E0 199 379 BF it shows it has sensors in the pic which is the N/S.

But if you convinced it doesnt have a sensor then most likely you dont have sensors on either.

Just out of interest how did you come to the conclusion that your mounts are worn?

Yeah the street density are great. I run them without issue. They are solid instead of fluid filled like OEM, so you won't have to worry about them popping and leaking.

It all depends.Some can have a sensor on one side or both.

Looking at ETKA, neither seem to have sensors. But yet looking up 8E0 199 379 BF it shows it has sensors in the pic which is the N/S.

But if you convinced it doesnt have a sensor then most likely you dont have sensors on either.

Just out of interest how did you come to the conclusion that your mounts are worn?

Giving engine bay a good clean and noticed that it has a big split in it, no fault lights on dash and strangely no fluid that I can see. Also engine is lurching (a lot!) when revving in stationary. Idle can be feel lumpy even though revs seem to be nice a stable.

My original thought was ok no problem spend £60 on a new pair and swap them out, can't make it any worse. Haha how stupid was I thinking any part on the audi's would be a reasonable price.

Been reading a few threads on various forums and other people say they changed there's as a precaution and were amazed at the difference even though no fluid, error codes or general wear shown.

Regards
Steve

Just double checked & it turns out I must have looked in the dark the 1st time as I can now quite clearly see that the n/s mount has electrical connector attached, doh!

Looks like you buying some Audi engine mounts in that case :p

Just to reply to your post earlier. You wont get any engine light or lights on the dash. If the error was with the mount the VagCom scanner will pick it up.

The easy way to test mounts if you have access under the vehicle use a crowbar between the mount and engine point and leverage the crowbar and see if there is play.

Otherwise another easy way is to put something big in front of the front wheels ie brick, block of wood. Especially if its front wheel drive and have the bonnet open and try and pull away in 1st and you should see the engine moving if that makes sense.

What is the mileage on the vehicle?

Looks like you buying some Audi engine mounts in that case :p

Just to reply to your post earlier. You wont get any engine light or lights on the dash. If the error was with the mount the VagCom scanner will pick it up.

The easy way to test mounts if you have access under the vehicle use a crowbar between the mount and engine point and leverage the crowbar and see if there is play.

Otherwise another easy way is to put something big in front of the front wheels ie brick, block of wood. Especially if its front wheel drive and have the bonnet open and try and pull away in 1st and you should see the engine moving if that makes sense.

What is the mileage on the vehicle?

Its at as near as doesn't matter 90k.

I'm already committed to having this done now so started phoning around for quotes to get this fixed with the original vw parts

I paid dealer money for mine just because if there's anything I don't want breaking it's the parts holding my engine in place haha also got B5 RS4 mounts which are solid to save having to replace them again.

Reactions: SDHA4SLine
You can by the resistors from JHM Separately, so you won't get a code if you want to go with the 034 mount.

Not sure if I should put this on new thread or not?

Does my car 2006 2.0tdi (170) BRD have a Snub Mount? I ask this as I've been getting quotes for engine mount replacement and seen on other threads that snub mount are only £20 or so and very easy to fit. Ive asked garages to quote to change snub mount at same time and 3 have come back with prices for total job but one has stated that they, and local Audi dealer & other suppliers have never heard of a snub mount and don't know what it is!!!

Am I asking for something that doesn't exist on my car or should I be worried that this garage doesn't know what a snub mount is?

Yes they all have them. As far as im aware.

Part number - 8E0199339

Just incase you want to reference it to say Audi or who ever. I think they call it something else that's possibly why they are unsure of the part. I think its called a front mount or front engine support hanger or something in the likes of that. Snub mount as far as im aware is the american term for it.

Reactions: SDHA4SLine
Well I finally coughed up to get new ones fitted n/s was knackered o/s was fine but I had it replaced anyway.

Wow massive difference, people weren't joking when they say car feels different after replacing (broken) engine mounts. Very expensive but massive improvement :)

So moment of truth which mounts did you go for in the end? And who installed them? And whats the damage?

I stayed standard vag stuff, left and right engine mounts & stub mount £404 fitted.

Nice, fair play if it did the job, just out of interest how much did you pay for the snub mount. If I noticed earlier that you were buying one I'd have sent a new genuine one I got and didn't fit free (... if I could find it haha stuff goes missing far too easy in this house), ended up with two as I changed my mind after purchasing the first and bought a stronger one.

I don't know as the didn't separate parts from labour, but I believe they are around £20 mark.

By the way I forgot to mention that n/s has sensor o/s doesn't. This came up earlier in the thread

Sorry also noticed you ask who fitted then, it was midlandvw

Ah right cool, only just realised you started the other thread, how was your expriance in the end

I didn't want to rock the boat really but everything was fine with them I would go back

Reactions: DieselJake
Used Midland VW a few times myself for mapping my previous car and had a clutch change done. Also some of my friends have had work done on their cars, I would recommend them.