EGT Wiring for AMK ECU

mikem1

Golf with BAM Engine
Reaction score
Guys, I recently put a BAM engine into my Golf 4Motion. For some unknows reason the EGT probe was not in place so I've installed one and now need to wire it into the ECU. I've got the 3 pin connector and wiring ready to go in but need to know where in the ECU the 3 pins go. It's an AMK ECU.

Many thanks

Did you not use the BAM/AMK engine compartment loom as it should already be in there.

Ive just done this myself, ill go double check and get back soon with the pin numbers if no one else pipes up.

The 12v feed comes from the fuel pump wiring, and connects to the other blue/yell connections within the loom, the 0v feed comes from the same feed as the power steering pump pressure switch. The signal wire then i think goes to pin 61, although ill confirm this for you matey

There should be a plug under the inlet manifold somewhere for it mate if it's an AMK loom as well.

If only it were that easy. Although I bought a complete BAM set up it transpires that the loom clearly isn't an original BAM/AMK loom, more of a hybrid!! Certain things on the engine have been deleted, SAI etc there are spare connectors at the front of the engine but these are all 2 pin, which is why I've had to get a probe and add the wiring myself so I can get it remapped again and include the EGT this time instead of mapping it out. Safety first :)

egtwiring.jpg

Here you go,

G235 is the EGT sensor and F88 is the pas pressure switch. D80 connection is in the loom and is where all the blue/yellows all connect to each other.

Hope that helps

Thanks for that, I've got that diagram through my research into this. I think my issue is that the loom is hybrid and has clearly been made so for me it's about finding where the relevant wires end up at the ECU pin end, pin 61 seems like a direct wire to the ECU but it's knowing where the other two end up? So I can either add them in if they're not present to add them to the existing wires leading to the pins on the ECU!!

The connection E17 on the diagram wont exist if the loom isnt EGT equipped already. Instead itll be a direct wire from pin 50 straight to the pas pressure switch. So if you havnt got the connection itll be simple enough to pick it up. You can connect to it at any point aswell. As for the blue/yell, theres loads of them in the loom so you can pick them up pretty much anywhere too. Biggest ballache will be the signal to pin 61. Took me ages to strip down my looms to wire them all, i had to add EGT, wideband lambda, launch control, boost controller... took ages. lol

Where did you get your EGT probe from? there shockingly expensive!!

From what I can see the loom doesn't have EGT and there is no connector on the PAS switch so this should be another new wire to add. That's 61 and 50 sorted. My concern with the remaining blue/yellow wire is to know if that used in the hybrid loom is correct. I believe the car it came out of had the BAM set up added to it and it was a 180 model. What we're saying here is I can add the remaining 3rd wire to any blue/yellow in the loom? I've bought the EGT 3 pin connector and VW repair wires which have the correct connectors to go into the ECU as I had sort of expected to find empty pin locations on the ECU to add them to.

Got the EGT secondhand from Awesome, was £50.

Aye all the blue/yellow wire in the looms are the same supply, from the fuel pump.

theres very little difference in the 180/210/225 looms.

Ok so, wire one to ECU pin 61, wire two to pin 50 and wire three will tap into a Blue / yellow, sorted?

Am going to do wire in the extra Cruise control loom over the weekend at some point as my car having formally been a V6 with cruise when the loom was removed it also removed the 'C' loom so need to add it back in. At the same time I'll check the pin location mentioned above. As the car has EGT mapped out if the wires are in situ but the probe connector is not plugged in it shouldn't prove to be an issue and when it's remapped I can then plug the connector in and off I pop?

Yep itll not recognise its there if its not coded in, so you can just connect it in when coded ready for mapping. Exactly what i plan also!!

Excellent, many thanks, will enable me to install it and forget about it.
Have you got a build thread for your car? I've not got round to doing one on mine due to the issues I've had so far but may well do one as I finish these jobs and then get stuck into Brakes, reinstall the intercooler, top mounts, oil cooler, replace the oil pick up pipe and clean out the sump, gauges or Liquid TT............ Be good to see what you've done and maybe share any info we might find relevant.

I havnt as yet but i do take pics, so might be making one soon. Heres a few sneek pics for you...

The car...

mintsilver.jpg

mintsilver4.jpg

mintsilver9.jpg

The engine being built...

IMG_0488.jpg

The wiring...

IMG_0427.jpg

The toys...

IMG_0425.jpg

Front end assembly...

IMG_0440.jpg

Enjoy matey, let me know if you start one soon.

Nick

Looking good, erm nice looking top mount turbo there, what's that?
Will dig out some photos as I need to get a few together.

Turbo is a Garrett GT30 hybrid. It should be good for 500bhp (ish) but my goal is only to see it at 400-450, as reliability and longevity is key.

You sticking to k04? i fitted a k04d 20vt in my old mk2 golf, what a hoot that car was. I made a build thread on e38 for that, its here....

MUSH MK2 20VT - Edition 38 Forums

I did play with the idea of using a 4mo and then fitting the turbo 4pot to it, but i had a mk4 gti daily at the time so wanted something different. Be interested in hearing of yours matey as and when!

51 Plate Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion to start with, Kirkey's have gone after 3 years and now have all black Cobra Evolution Pros, still lots to do.

4moengine.jpg

kirkeyseats1.jpg

IMG_6090-1.jpg

4mopic.jpg

18tinstall.jpg

Last edited:
GT30 now you're talking. My car has been built as a track car / daily driver also so for now the focus is having done the conversion to get all the little jobs sorted I need to, uprate the front brakes, oil cooler, reinstall the intercooler, top mounts, replace the oil pick up pipe and clean out the sump, gauges or Liquid TT............then once that is done enjoy it. As for different turbos, the weight loss I've done saves well over 100Kg maybe closer to 150kg so this helps with all aspects of the cars performance.

yeh these mk4 chassis`d cars weigh quite a bit, especially the 4wd versions we have, so 150kgs is quite a bit of a saving! mine is purely fast road car with possibly sprints. With yours looking relatively tame on the outside, it will surprise many a person im sure!!

When it had the Kirkey seats in nothing would ever try it on, ever. But once I get the EGT in and the Revo Stage 2 on it should perform quite nicely. Then it's just on with the next series of upgrades, never ends. I suppose with going V6 to 4 pot, 150 Kg is pretty realistic.