ECU CHANGE

marcus boost

Reaction score
Ok so to start I have a 2004 audi a3 2.0tdi currently sat on my drive as it got totaled but in the process of fixing it.... in the mean time I have Baugh another car that's exactly the same.

So my question is would it be possible to take the ecu out of my original tdi and put it into my new one.

The reason I as is the original has a really nice remap on it 180bhp but pulls really nice and tops out at 150 mph.

Now my new one has been mapped not sure of numbers but doesn't pull or even reach 130 mph.
I could just get a new map but would be more cost effective to just change ecu if it's possible and just plug and play.

So basically will I be able to just take the ecu out and put it into my new tdi without having to change anything or plug into vag com

Thanks in advance guys

Im guessing this is slow for you but considering I have been driving 1.6lt cars and this was my first turbo car it was quick enough (at the time) for me. It will all change soon might even invite you to get chopped :undwech:

you would need the immobiliser code and would need vcds to reprogram the new ecu to the car.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_III_ECU_Swapping

I done this with my B5 A4 as my old car had been chipped where as my quattro hadn't
you will need to compare the ecu's to make sure the 180bhp one is compatible with the new car. .

you would need the immobiliser code and would need vcds to reprogram the new ecu to the car.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_III_ECU_Swapping

I done this with my B5 A4 as my old car had been chipped where as my quattro hadn't
you will need to compare the ecu's to make sure the 180bhp one is compatible with the new car. .

That's exactly what I needed mate thanks for the info.
Do you think it's worth the time and effort doing this or would you say a remap is a better option.

I had a quote from revo 174bhp at £400 I was thinking this is a bit much for a 30bhp increase

Probably an indicated 150 mph on speedo , GPS might suggest 136 mph .
GPS figures come back as a pretty close match 1st run car was reading 148mph and gps was reading 146mph second run 150 mph on the car and 148mph on gps...

Just scanned the new car and it's come up with the throttle body performance code.

I know this is a common thing could this be the issue with the performance?

I've got a 180 bhp 1.9 pd tdi 6 speed , originaly 130 bhp , are you suggesting this is a 150 mph motor ?

I've got a 180 bhp 1.9 pd tdi 6 speed , originaly 130 bhp , are you suggesting this is a 150 mph motor ?
I could be wrong about the bhp figure but am almost 100%sure the car sits around the 150 mark I have even done a side by side run with a mate of mine and he's reading 150 and I'm about a bonnets length behind his bonnet...
Would you say this is unlikely for a 180bhp car well an A3 this isn't the only a3 I have driven that has achieved numbers like this

Not on a diesel, no ! To pull 150 Mph in a 2.0 Pd Tdi which revs to 4500 rpm's you will need about 250 Bhp...

Not on a diesel, no ! To pull 150 Mph in a 2.0 Pd Tdi which revs to 4500 rpm's you will need about 250 Bhp...
Not sure where that info is from but revo said I could potentially get 150 mph out of a stage one map depending on if I had any other mods or anything. to be honest 150 is not a big deal to hit it's how quick you get there in my original audi it got to 130 quite nicely but pulling from 130 to around 147 took a bit of work. I have been seeing a lot of people talk about big numbers 250 -280bhp hybrid turbos and all this but from what I have seen and played around with I am no where near 250 bhp and Deffo do not run a hybrid and the pull and top speed is pretty nice and I mean to the point I can keep up (maybe a little behind lol) with m3s until I hit that 130 mph barrier then it's a very slow pull.

I could be in a dream land with a few of my friends but I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying my a3 can achieve 150 mph if anyone is local to slough I would be more then happy to do a few runs to see if it's just me

How many points on your licence and what does your psychiatrist say about it all ?

How many points on your licence and what does your psychiatrist say about it all ?
Lool 8 none for speeding.... she actually said I'm fine now funny enough and specsavers said my vision has got better.
I guess my previous statement seems unreal to you and probably alot of other people reading but I can only say what I see

Any video proof ?

Sorry for scepticism , but it's all a bit o_O

I've got a round abouts 300 bhp 300 lbft petrol turbo car weighing 1275 kg that I'm sure would do a true 163 mph .

Any video proof ?

Sorry for scepticism , but it's all a bit o_O

I've got a round abouts 300 bhp 300 lbft petrol turbo car weighing 1275 kg that I'm sure would do a true 163 mph .

I understand why you would be.

I'm sure I have a video somewhere how would I upload it to here would I have to upload to youtube first ( kinda new to the forum)

That sounds like some serious power in a pretty light car.
I have a 100-130 pull and to me at the time seemed quite smooth but like I said it's was my first turbo car and the previous owner did alot of mods to the car. At first claiming 200+bhp then from doing some resurch found it was unlikely to be that much...
But was confused as to how it was still so nippy I mean 3rd gear pull from 40-80 with no effort not to mention no traction in 2nd from 1500rpm's to 2200 rpm's boost kicked in pretty much instantly hence why I wanted to change the ECU over in the first place.

This may sound very bazaar especially to people who are pretty much car gurus but like I said I can only go buy what I see and know..

I will try to get those videos up