DSG...should i be worried?

for paddy on his return - lauched today and didn't feel that slam in the back. it was fair from violent, i don't see what the issue is

(and no jokes about my inferior FWD TFSI car please, it's been done to death lol)

A few points
Are you sure you have launch control ? Even without it you could in theory stand on the brake and the throttle but the car will know what you are doing and feed the clutchin when you let go of the brake.
Did you hold the ESP button in for several seconds ?
I would have thought if you have launch control on a FWD car its going to spin the wheels like mad.
According to my manual its only enabled on the 3.2 and not the 2.0 but that is dated 2004.

A few points
Are you sure you have launch control ? Even without it you could in theory stand on the brake and the throttle but the car will know what you are doing and feed the clutchin when you let go of the brake.
Did you hold the ESP button in for several seconds ?
I would have thought if you have launch control on a FWD car its going to spin the wheels like mad.
According to my manual its only enabled on the 3.2 and not the 2.0 but that is dated 2004.

we've had this discussion before - all models of Golf GTI DSG have launch control - and so do 2.0Ts lol. if i try rev the engine with ESP and the footbrake on, the car cuts the power immediately. if i turn off ESP and do it it'll hold the revs

the 2.0T hadn't even been released in 2004, and the 2.0 non turbo doesn't have DSG lol

i definitely have launch control, but it's just not as violent as you're making out

Last edited:
May be thats why i said
"According to my manual its only enabled on the 3.2 and not the 2.0 but that is dated 2004"

If you can pull away by dumping the clutch on a FWD car with the ESP etc disengaged without just spinning the wheels then it doesn't sound like much of a launch control.

What is it about people with 2.0T's :laugh:

Quick question, thats kind of related. On the DSG, can the clutches be adjusted or are they a kind of 'sealed' unit! Just wondering!

May be thats why i said
"According to my manual its only enabled on the 3.2 and not the 2.0 but that is dated 2004"

This is a joke, right?? :happy:
What has that entire sentence got to do with sub's 2.0T and whether or not it's got launch control??

May be thats why i said

If you can pull away by dumping the clutch on a FWD car with the ESP etc disengaged without just spinning the wheels then it doesn't sound like much of a launch control.

What is it about people with 2.0T's :laugh:

i never said it didn't wheelspin (tho i'd say that putting the power down cleanly is kinda the point of a launch control function and it doesn't spin all that much), just that i don't get that slam in the back feeling you were describing earlier

Boys Boys Boys... stop it! Come on, let it go, shake hands and lets talk cars!

Hey isnt launch control supposed to ruin the gears? Never tried it, want to though lol, maybe wait until I get a supercharger!!!!!!! oohhh missus!

Judging by the vast amount of money you've blown on yours I don't think it's going to solve any problems. :lmfao:

I think you pair need a thread of your own, forget S3 vs. Cayman....its Aythreee vs. Paddy Thread go and argue it out!

Kiss and make up will you seriously, or go and stand in different corners! ;)

I think you pair need a thread of your own, forget S3 vs. Cayman....its Aythreee vs. Paddy Thread go and argue it out!

Kiss and make up will you seriously, or go and stand in different corners! ;)

:happy: Yeah, and I'll be David Haye and he can be 'Audrey' Harrison.

But if Paddy wants to be buddies again I'm all puckered up. :wub:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by aythreee
Exciting! :jump:

oh and forgot to say 'welcome back you two' it's been.....errrr...quiet? :)

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by s3 Hoggy
Come on Tim spill the beans!

If it happens as i want i'll spill tomorrow night matey

Look into my eyes, not around the eyes; Your under - tell us your secret.

Last edited:
Hey isnt launch control supposed to ruin the gears? Never tried it, want to though lol, maybe wait until I get a supercharger!!!!!!! oohhh missus!

:faint:

also why would it ruin gears? if anything it might ruin one of the clutches (the one controlling odd gears), but i'm not advocating doing it at every set of traffic lights lol

calm down! I was trying to change the subject with something they could feel they could correct me on, I'm not daft!!!

just didnt want anyone being banned again. Nothing sinister. Just my way of trying to calm it down, daft maybe but worth a try!

Oi Crazy, you stopped day dreaming now !!!!!! haahaa

Last edited:
I think the banning was unnecessary. They only had a little tiff. I like your attempt though, and in fact I am going to show this by 'thanking' your post to prove it. It's the best thing to do.

See it worked, love and harmony shines through!

Right back to car stuff! lol

Oh and thank you for the thanks!

Forget the offside rule what's a woman doing behind the wheel of a car anyway.

By the way that was a joke and don't fancy getting sacked for it!