DSG...should i be worried?

Slight edit.... don't worry about controlling the revs, just plant your foot and the engine will hold at about 2000 rpm.

for the GTI apparently the sweet spot is 2400 rpm. i'd imagine for our 2.0Ts it'd be the same, although it'll probably be different for the S3.

that's not gonna be too bad is it? the 8L lads hold at 5k-6k ish at pod before dumping the clutch...admittedly not good either but surely the S tronic will be far more resiliant, taking into account it dumps the power at 2k

for the GTI apparently the sweet spot is 2400 rpm. i'd imagine for our 2.0Ts it'd be the same, although it'll probably be different for the S3.

lol, point is not to worry about controlling the revs, the car will do it for you.

I've seen a few vids and the rpm they hold at seems to vary from car to car. Looks mostly to be between 2-3k rpm.

that's not gonna be too bad is it? the 8L lads hold at 5k-6k ish at pod before dumping the clutch...admittedly not good either but surely the S tronic will be far more resiliant, taking into account it dumps the power at 2k

I've heard that the jolt you get when the brake is released is likened to having a someone plough into the back of your car. Can't be all that good for it. :blink:

I've heard that the jolt you get when the brake is released is likened to having a someone plough into the back of your car. Can't be all that good for it. :blink:

Very similar!! I released mine at about 4.5k....... and did 3 runs (almost 2 years ago now)........ the clutch was absolutely fine - obviously theres the other components to worry about. I've had the clutch done recently too but only as a result of a selector fork.

I think how you implement it makes a big difference, one of the lads that day had a burning clutch smell every time

I tried it once with mine and admittedly i was banging a lot more power through it than a 2.0d etc but it reved to 3k, i lifted the brake and there was an almighty clang and jolt right through the box, propshaft and every joint in the drive shafts and me, i would liken it to some one hitting all 4 wheels at once with a sledge hammer. I can just imagine the crankshaft thrust bearing shattering the timing chain being wrenched 2" longer and the prop shaft UJ's collapsing in that split second...

I apologized profusely to my poor car and promised I would never do that to it again !! a completely stupid thing to do IMHO.

I tried it once with mine and admittedly i was banging a lot more power through it than a 2.0d etc but it reved to 3k, i lifted the brake and there was an almighty clang and jolt right through the box, propshaft and every joint in the drive shafts and me, i would liken it to some one hitting all 4 wheels at once with a sledge hammer. I can just imagine the crankshaft thrust bearing shattering the timing chain being wrenched 2" longer and the prop shaft UJ's collapsing in that split second...

I apologized profusely to my poor car and promised I would never do that to it again !! a completely stupid thing to do IMHO.

And after this... any lingering thoughts of trying it have now been eradicated. Especially as mine doesn't even have the benefit of trying to put the power down through four wheels.

guys i need your help...my cars gone now and im starting to break!! especially as a manual meteor grey with magnetic ride, sat nav, tyre pressure system and folding mirrors has come up with 12k on the clock!! oh and red/black leather with red stitching!! :(

As you've never owned a DSG then you won't really know what you're missing out on, so maybe go for the manual. Ignorance can be bliss.

BUT... and there is a 'but'............ you WILL be missing out!

Knowing what I know I would say to wait for a DSG one to come up. It'll be worth the wait.

heads = DSG
tails = manual

flip a coin and when it's in the air go for the one you WANT it to land on

forgot to mention the privacy glass, adaptive headlights and interior light pack......

Cheers Aye.....Sub thats not a bad idea, although i dont trust what i want, think i need to take manual car out.

ref above - adaptive lighting worth having? also someone mentioned extra service costs on DSG - cant imagine whatwould be extra though :/

Dsg has a haldex oil change every 40k miles....thats all.

Difficult one mate. This A3 i have is my first ever DSG or Auto type thing of any kind and now i wouldn't have anything else now.
Like you i looked at S3's a while back and drove both and despite there being an abundance of manual cars about and much cheaper i just found the whole concept of manual so old fashioned now and a real step backwards IMHO..even more so as they cram more and more gears in to the boxes to get that extra 1 mpg out of the car !! I mean who wants to change gear 14 times to go up and down the box ?

DSG or whatever each manufacturer calls there system is the future. Perish the thought of ever driving a manual again! ;)

This 'chaps' is my fear...... the DSG makes the 8P bearable as does the sat nav...... thats why i have those as my two main options.

The car above does look amazing, im even more chuffed since the salesman mentioned the adaptive lights!! gonna have to sit on this i think - worst part is i will have to go over budget, and just rang insurance who want an extra £600 for cover until Oct!!! £1300 when it gets to renewal!!

off that i have done a quick go compare check, £650pa with Admiral so i am a happy chappy again...considering thats my first bit of insurance research

I also wont go back to manual, pointless for me now, takes the stress & pain out of driving, why the hell would I want to change gear ever again with a clutch pedal & gearstick, manuals will be a thing of the past in the foreseeable future imho, makes my driving allot less ragey as such, sitting in traffic, clutch up/down, gear in million times a day, sod that.

and the final nail...... part of me is saying, offer the dealer a silly price, the HEAD is saying stick to my two options which bring the 8P into any sort of normality - DSG and satnav!!!

think i need to stick to my guns...plus i really want a sprint ;)

Dsg has a haldex oil change every 40k miles....

This is hardly worth worrying about though as it should only cost about £170 max every 40k miles.

Also, it's a DSG oil change not a haldex oil change. Although the haldex oil will need changing also at it's own interval.

thats nothing to worry about then - didnt think it was, couldnt really see what would cost apart from an oil change.

This is hardly worth worrying about though as it should only cost about £170 max every 40k miles.

Also, it's a DSG oil change not a haldex oil change. Although the haldex oil will need changing also at it's own interval.

Haldex oil change is 20k so it will need changing with the DSG oil at 40k. haldex oil filter is every other change so its a filter change at 40k too.

Haldex oil change is 20k so it will need changing with the DSG oil at 40k. haldex oil filter is every other change so its a filter change at 40k too.

Ok. And that's got what to do with the original question??

EDIT - I'll insert a :happy: or you'll get all upset with me. ;)

Last edited:
Well the original question was does the DSG need servicing. I take that as does it involve any extra expense. The answer is unlike a lot of DSG equipped cars the S3 will have haldex as well which will want servicing with/at the same time as the DSG as the service intervals coincide...

don't put yourself out inserting smiley faces. I'm not

Well the original question was does the DSG need servicing. I take that as does it involve any extra expense. The answer is unlike a lot of DSG equipped cars the S3 will have haldex as well which will want servicing with/at the same time as the DSG as the service intervals coincide...

don't put yourself out inserting smiley faces. I'm not

Does the DSG require a haldex oil change? If not, your statement was misleading and incorrect.

Next you'll be telling him that his engine coolant needs a brake fluid change. (no smiley)

Animal, sorry mate. I have had trouble with a troll following me round this site being pedantic with most of my posts. all i am trying to do is offer some advice in general on your purchase. Aythree wants to keep the topic strictly within a set of guide line determined it seems by himself. If you have any specific questions then PM me by all means but there is little point in me trying to help here.

Animal, sorry mate. I have had trouble with a troll following me round this site being pedantic with most of my posts. all i am trying to do is offer some advice in general on your purchase. Aythree wants to keep the topic strictly within a set of guide line determined it seems by himself. If you have any specific questions then PM me by all means but there is little point in me trying to help here.

Oh grow up Paddy and take your head out of your ****. Follow you around the site?? What, like akash does as well?? :lmfao:
Would you like me to point out occassions when you've "followed me around the site"??

You like to dish out a bit sarcasm etc but don't like it when you get it back do you.
It was a bit of jesting mate. Do get a grip.

Whats going on here? Thought this was a thread on DSG!! Come on guys be nice.

Animal.....just get DSG. Its brilliant. Just had my DSG oil and filter changed (also Haldex too with filters!) and its so smooth its incredable.

I haven't had a manual car since my first Audi 1.8T about 10 years ago!

i swear a mysterious elf has been along recently and "tidied up" this thread...

quite very possibly...i wish they would ask me before they messed with my thread :)

Okay a good while back we had real problems on the 8P forum which caused quite a few valued members to leave the site and go elsewhere. It took a long time to get things back on track and I, and the rest of the mod team, and I'm sure many of the long term members, do not want to see thing go downhill again.

Paddy and Aythreee are taking a short break from the forum to calm down. Let's not let things get out of hand again please.

understood...... although i think it's a bit harsh to ban them for a short period...... overpolicing is also a deterent - obviously i don't know what warnings you gave these chaps, but from what i could see, it was very light hearted.

Okay a good while back we had real problems on the 8P forum which caused quite a few valued members to leave the site and go elsewhere. It took a long time to get things back on track and I, and the rest of the mod team, and I'm sure many of the long term members, do not want to see thing go downhill again.

Paddy and Aythreee are taking a short break from the forum to calm down. Let's not let things get out of hand again please.

i didn't see the entirety of what happened but i found it quite amusing - kinda surprised you banned them tbh, but i'm sure you have rules and i'm sure you enforced them for a reason lol

for paddy on his return - lauched today and didn't feel that slam in the back. it was fair from violent, i don't see what the issue is

(and no jokes about my inferior FWD TFSI car please, it's been done to death lol)