Drag racing

mikeya4

Reaction score
has anyone got much experience with drag racing, launching really? I have a 1.8t quattro and did my first drag day recently, got a 13.5 @ 109.6mph am quite happy as we had 40mph headwind but I am sorting my clutch as it either bogs down or slips. Got a paddle clutch on its way, anyway question is what sort of rpms are people launching at and what 60ft times are you getting? Mine I think are shocking 2.4 seconds

with an organic clutch you cant feed it in slowly. You need to hit it hard, or it'll heat up and slip big time.

Not enough revs and hitting it hard will cause it to bog down. Also, static RPM's will give a different response than if you give it a boot full from idle and engage the clutch as the engine reaches your target RPM.

If your serious then the paddle will sort it out, but you'll still need to launch hard at high RPM's, probably 4000-4500rpm, and even with a paddle clutch that sort of abuse will cause accellerated wear.

The best thing you can do while getting a feel for it, is ignore the lights. Obviously dont go before the green, but instead of trying to leave on the light, just leave on your own time. Trying to leave on the light just means you end up testing in a uncontrolled manner, as rushing to get the green means you end up missing your RPM point or whatever.

Thanks for that, got a paddle clutch on order so will see how that goes, cheers

2nd drag racing day, best run was a 12.1 @ 113, paddle clutch is awesome and very happy with how quick it was, absolutely nailed a CLA 45 AMG, awesome fun

Reactions: jbh
what turbo you running?

Your 12.1 at 113 seems pretty good.

The yanks have a measure, whereby you multiply the ET and MPH. A good pass will come out somewhere around 1360.

Your earlier attempt with 13.5 @ 109 comes out at 1471, so you can clearly see theres a lot left on the table. Whereas your new pass 12.1 at 113 is pretty close to 1360.

Running a gtx3071,

Have a look from 1:53, yeah I don't think I could get much more without more power, seemed to slingshot off the line.

60ft was even more impressive considering I don't really know what I'm doing, had a 1.7 and this one was a 1.5, yeah the green one, had spin on the first run and got a 12.8 but this run went really well

1.5 in the wet is insane... Thats the sort of times you'd expect from something american properly setup with a V8 on slicks and a prepped track...

Maybe the timing kit was **** or incorrectly setup?!

I know, not sure tbh the kit is raceamerica which apparently is pretty decent I had a run in both lanes 1.7 in the left and 1.5 in the right. Others seemed about right I think fwd in the 2-3 seconds, that amg was 4wd too and I completely left it on the launch too, next ones in July so will see but very happy with the times even if the 60ft is off

Is that a WOT Box on there?

I took mine to the Piston Heads Sunday Service at Santa Pod today. The crap intercooler showed just how poor it was as the car felt very flat on the runs only achieving mid 15's with 96mph terminal. Yet on the run home home with some airflow went superbly.

I run a stand alone as I'm constantly changing the setup so it's launch control, I may give santapod a try one day but being in Cornwall is quite a trek

Not been on the rollers as I have been road mapping it, ecu has a onboard which may or may not be accurate but about 450 seems about right