DMF OR SMF?

jav786

Reaction score
Hiya guys,

Its time for me to replace my clutch and flywheeel :(

I been thinking and doing sum research and found that theres a conversion kit to convert to a single mass flywheel which means no more replacing the flywheel only the CLUTCH.

Has anyone converted their a3 TDI to a single mass conversion?

Just looking for some info on the topic and im preety sure this is the place to find it.

Im based in West Midlands near Birmingham, does anyone no any cheap places to get the parts?

Cheerz

Javz :blush:

I would go for a standard DMF and SACHS uprated clutch if you are wanting to change

devonmikeyboy on here is very knowledgeable regarding TDI tuning - his A3 Quattro has 330bhp and is running a SMF as far as I know.

SMF rattle like hell on diesel cars and the lighter you go the worse it is. VAG changed the design of the DMF from the PD140 onwards so a lot few flywheels tend to wear out. My DMF lasted 20,000 miles while running 300+bhp. Unless you are going big power i wouldn`t bother even thinking of it to be honest.

Yes on diesels heard they make a hell of a racket! And with the low red-line and much narrower power band, dont think there's as much benefit with a SMF anyway is there? Even modded diesels with be riding more on a surge of mid range torque then ultimate top end and the diesel's tall gearing will keep get the best of out of this, so a very quicky revving engine not neccesarily as important on a diesel.

The reason why i came to lookin at the SMF is this link....

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/A...c25f0bab9ba3ee6e4ba777a704c73ddcc6fc10e3&SCON

The Solid Flywheel Conversion Kit has been developed to replace the Dual Mass Flywheel which suffers from such high failure rates. Because the Dual Mass is being replaced by a single Mass Flywheel you can expect greater durability and when the clutch is due for replacement there is no need to change the Flywheel so savings in the long term can be vast. Each kit will come with solid Flywheel, Clutch kit, bolts & fork where needed. Some vehicles that Conversion kits are fitted to also require a concentric slave cylinder which needs to be purchased separately.

Iv read that the SMF's end up with a lot of noise and vibration, however ive read that a number of people have converted and have no problems, other than the slight vibrations/noise which is hardly noticeable.?

Last edited:
the main drawbacks really are NVH- ( noise vibration & harshness). Also with a lighened flywheel the engine will LOOSE rpms just as easily as gaining rpms, so it would affect how the car behaves on the motorway quite notiecable ie engine brake much quicker.
Not sure if I'd want one on a diesel due to the noise- one person on UK MKIVs said his 1.9tdi sounded like a tractor with an SMF one. given that the 1.9tdi ALREADY sounds like a tractor I can imagine the noise was pretty bad.

Longevity wise there are much better though as long fitted with a clutch designed for one.

I have a sachs clutch kit and smf on my 2.0tdi. Yes its noisey on idle but when in gear like most of the time there no chatter. Acceleration is quicker and harder! If you can put up with the chatter on idle then I'd defo reccomend it.

how bad is this noise on idle? cuz im 100% sure my flywheel has gne however the car is still running and working, the noise on idle is horrible its as if the flywheel plates are clashing together?

if thats what the SMF is going to sound like id be happier with the DMF.

That is the noise you will hear. The DMF takes the slack and vibration out of the clutch/gearbox. With no DMF everything rattles when the gearbox is not driving forward or backward with the clutch peddle up.