1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperate Help With Insurance

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by imported_Strider81, Apr 27, 2005.

1. imported_Strider81

imported_Strider81 Guest

[Apr 27, 2005]
    Trying to get myself insured on my s3 as for the past 9 months while ive been finishing my degree i have leant it to my sister.

Thing is when i bought it for insurace purposes i registered my old dear as the owner but now she wants all the paper work in my name and I also want to start collecting some NCD.

Im 23 with one driviing convition (SP60) and one theft claim (£100).

Please can anyone tell me where i can get a good deal or any ways of getting my premium cheaper!

so far my cheapest quote was £2500 from elephant and I dont wanna pay that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 27, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's going to be expensive which ever way you look at it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Goodluck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif
  4. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Apr 27, 2005]
    ummm... good luck... just try calling everywhere the places below might be a good start.

Adrian Flux
    Direct Line
    Lloyds TSB
    Tesco

I'm 23 with 3 years NCB and no points, no claims, in what I think is quite a good post code any mines only went below a 1k on last renewal. think the best was £850 from Lloyds from memory.
  5. robthehungrymonkey

robthehungrymonkey Member

[Apr 27, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Trying to get myself insured on my s3 as for the past 9 months while ive been finishing my degree i have leant it to my sister.

Thing is when i bought it for insurace purposes i registered my old dear as the owner but now she wants all the paper work in my name and I also want to start collecting some NCD.

Please can anyone tell me where i can get a good deal or any ways of getting my premium cheaper!

so far my cheapest quote was £2500 from elephant and I dont wanna pay that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mate, those claims etc. must be really w*nk, I'm with elephant on my '01 (made a difference) S3. Mine cost me £680, with 2 yeaars ncb, 10 months though, but still! MY renewal was 840 with admiral though.
  6. imported_Gibbsy

imported_Gibbsy Guest

[Apr 27, 2005]
    i have a 1.8t and i'm with elephant, i'm only 20 with a SP30 and cost me £1400 had i added my g/f b4 taking it out would have cost £1000.

Do yourself a favour add a woman with a clean licence and no claims as an added driver makes a differance as you can see from my qoutes
  7. Markey

Markey Active Member

[Apr 27, 2005]
    I got a quote form Admiral online for 600 quid my renual from Tescos was 1500. Big difference.
    Thas is with an SP50 and a CU30.
    Best thing to do is ring around and eveywhere if you put in the leg work you will get good results.
  8. imported_Yaseen

imported_Yaseen Guest

[Apr 27, 2005]
    Directline is one of the best for young drivers
  9. nickel101

nickel101 Member

[Apr 27, 2005]
    jeez..

just insured my 99 1.8T with Bell Direct for 450 with protected NCD, as have 5yrs.

but kinda takes me back when I had a clapped our Renault 19 and that cost around 900 quid a year which was pretty much the value of the car...lol
  10. imported_Nigma

imported_Nigma Guest

[Apr 27, 2005]
    On average, what would you expect a single SP offence to add to the premium?

(Think i may have just clocked up my first one last night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, doing 85+ in a 70)
  11. jediknight

jediknight Member

[Apr 27, 2005]
    im 22 with 6 points and an audi S3 and 4 years NCB

Direct Line charge me £700 full comp

Hope that helps
  12. jojo

[Apr 27, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    On average, what would you expect a single SP offence to add to the premium?

(Think i may have just clocked up my first one last night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, doing 85+ in a 70)

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the insurer, could be zilch, as most peoples have an offence or onother these days or in my case 3 years ago, it was +£30 on the premium. Now got a clean record though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
  13. Defratos

Defratos You’re Dethpicable!!

[Apr 27, 2005]
    I'm 22, (turnin 23 soon) with Elephant, first time got a car under my name with "bonus accelerater" for the no-claims free, and I'm payin £2300 (it's a fair bit but I think pretty good considering it's the first time I have a car under my own name)
  14. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

[Apr 27, 2005]
    Remember that adding a female driver with experience (your mum) to policy may bring it down.
    i am with bell direct (sister of admiral and elephant - who i was with 4 years prev.) and it reduced my premium by 100.
    My mum lives in london and will never drive my car but hey if it saves me money - what do i care!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

try playing with the variables on the online quote systems and work out what is best for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  15. ianhg

ianhg Member

[Apr 27, 2005]
    if u have a years ncb then try greenlight
  16. C_Audiboy

C_Audiboy Vroom Vroom

[Apr 27, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is gonna be expensive whatever you try.

S3+Young driver+conviction+No NCD = OUCH!

I'm 25 with 4 years NCD, and elephant was my 2nd best quote at around £800 with protected NCD IIRC. Best quote came from Egg.com.

As some of the guys have said try and get a female with a good record to go the main driver. It's probably your only hope.

Good Luck......
  17. imported_Strider81

imported_Strider81 Guest

[Apr 28, 2005]
    Cheers for the info guys will have the old dear on as the occassional driver then and do the leg work-will let u know how it goes!
  18. imported_Strider81

imported_Strider81 Guest

[Apr 28, 2005]
    got my premium down from £2500 with elephant to £1500 with elephant by just adding my sister!!!!

RESULT!!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

thanks alot for the advice guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif
  19. jojo

[Apr 28, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    got my premium down from £2500 with elephant to £1500 with elephant by just adding my sister!!!!

RESULT!!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one, now go and drive it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif
  20. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

[Apr 28, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]

RESULT!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

thats probably the first and only time your sister will save you a grand! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  21. Pontio

Pontio Member

[Apr 28, 2005]
    very well said Ian, however im sure if you tell her she'll find a way to spend the money you saved on her.. always do..
  22. imported_Strider81

imported_Strider81 Guest

[Apr 28, 2005]
    lol! na she already owes me as i leant her the car and she saw the light n just bought herself a 04 3.2 quattro!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif
  23. Pontio

Pontio Member

[Apr 28, 2005]
    damn.. sounds like she dont need your money lol
  24. imported_Gibbsy

imported_Gibbsy Guest

[Apr 29, 2005]
    Yeh i'd say adding a woman instead of using them as the named driver is cheaper, dont know why just seems to work that way.
  25. jediknight

jediknight Member

[Apr 29, 2005]
    huh

so if i put my mum on the policy as a named driver it will lower my price?????
  26. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 29, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    huh

so if i put my mum on the policy as a named driver it will lower my price?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it a try! you may be suprised?
  27. Leon

Leon Member

[Apr 29, 2005]
    Mine went down a £100 as soon as I added my girlfriend....
  28. jediknight

jediknight Member

[Apr 29, 2005]
    just tried direct line and they added £50

elephant reduced by £150 but it was still more than direct line by myself...

nice trick to know for the future though
  29. Leon

Leon Member

[Apr 29, 2005]
    I am with elephant so that would make sense. Will try direct line next year.