1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could i change gearbox and clutch myself

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Gareth a3, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Gareth a3

Gareth a3 Member

ok so im pretty sure my gearbox has gone, found a gearbox from a breakers for 200 and clutch for around 80, is this possible for me and a couple of freinds to fit this none of us are mechanics, but how hard could it be right? lol

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. Alais DJA

Alais DJA Member

I wouldnt do a gearbox and clutch myself with no mechanical knowledge for all the tea in china.

4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Its certainly not a job that i'd want to be doing as the first ever mechanical job i did on the car, thats for sure.

You'll need a GOOD tool kit and i'd suggest you get yourself a haynes manual and read thru the guide in there and see what you think.

5. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

Not an easy job at all, if its your first tome it will take you ages. How do you know the replacement gearbox is good?could be a big waste of time if not

6. sportquattro

sportquattro Active Member

I'd steer well clear of DIY gearbox and clutch change, unless you've got a workshop with a 4 post lift it would be a pig to do on axle stands on the driveway/road and once its part way apart you are kinda committed and as others have said it could end up being a waste of time if the new box is also duff and/or you screw things up. If you have no previous experience I'd definately say start small.

7. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

I`d guess not but you never know

would you attempt

discs and pads ????

suspension ????

a basic service ????

8. Gareth a3

Gareth a3 Member

ive changed discs and pads before not on my audi, and aslo have changed a broken shock even if i can just get the old gearbox of thats going to knock one hundred of the bill i would be more happy with that.

9. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

If you feel comfortable doing it then we can't tell you nothing but since your asking, shows your not confident. Your choice but I wouldn't

10. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Once you've got the gearbox off, the engine will be supported by not-very-much and the car will have half its suspension dismantled. How exactly do you then plan on getting it to the guy whos going to finish the job?

11. ANDYMC_TQS

ANDYMC_TQS FIRE UP THE QUATTRO

there are so many things to remove befor the gearbox comes out and in a specific order really. ud be best off finding someone that does jobs in there spare time and it will cost alot less. i recently changed a clutch in a celica for only 100 labour so 100 extra cash in my pocket and he saved 150 everyone was a winner

12. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Well-Known Member

13. gazb8

gazb8 New Member
    VCDS Map User

im a grease monkey and i do clutch on my drive all the time but if you dont know what your doing then i wouldnt bother, last week i did flywheel and clutch for 150 if its a easy clutch then 50. best bet find sumone which has got time at weekends and will do it cheap for you

14. Gareth a3

Gareth a3 Member

where are you from? lol