correct offset

silver75

Big Ron
Reaction score
OK dont know if this has been covered before... I am planning to get some wheels 8' 18. The front wheels will be ET 35 and the rears ET 30, question is will this fit an A3 or will the rears poke out too much. The car is on standard sport suspention (for now)..
thanks in advance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Why are you using different offset on the rear? That seems a little odd! ET30 will stick out too far. I used to have S3 wheels on my A3 many years ago, and they are 7.5" wide ET32, and JUST cleared the arches... All a bit close!

Rich

ok fair enough ill just put 35s all round.. the ET 30 wheels had a more "dished" look than the 35s so i thought they would look cool at the back... will i need spacers if i want them to fill the arches or will 35s be ok? If so what size spacers? thanks again

[ QUOTE ]
ET30 will stick out too far. I used to have S3 wheels on my A3 many years ago, and they are 7.5" wide ET32, and JUST cleared the arches... All a bit close!

[/ QUOTE ]

ok heres the deal ive been offered brand new BBS ch's complete with tyres for just over a grand... they are 18.5 and ET 30... I know you say it will be close but how badly will they stick out? i really want these wheels!!

Alot of the MK4 golf boys run different offsets at the front track is wider than the rear. The differening offsets are for asthetics. A3 is probably similar although I've not checked personally so see if this is the case. A3 has thinner arches so you can't run as much dish AFAIK.
Can't say what the effect are handing wise.

I suggest you look at your current wheels and offset to see where they fit in the arch. Then workout where you want them to sit via some quick calculations of offset to rim width. There are a fair few website out there with diagrams to make the process clearer.

Thanks ill get them then. Just didnt want my car to look chavy!
Thanks again

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ET30 will stick out too far. I used to have S3 wheels on my A3 many years ago, and they are 7.5" wide ET32, and JUST cleared the arches... All a bit close!

[/ QUOTE ]

ok heres the deal ive been offered brand new BBS ch's complete with tyres for just over a grand... they are 18.5 and ET 30... I know you say it will be close but how badly will they stick out? i really want these wheels!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Im running 8.5 x 18" CH's with ET30 offset on my S3 and they fit fine not sure about on an A3. They have to be Et30 as the wheel is 8.5" wide if they were any higher (ET 32 etc) the wheel would rub on the strut.