Coolant Problem

JoeeS3

Reaction score
I found this problem rather strange

If i start my car up in the morning then drive off my coolant low light will turn on! i have to pull over and open the cap slowly to relieve the pressure. but the coolant bottle looks empty before but fills up when i open the cap completely then when i close it i can drive off again and dont get any low coolant light appearing. but as soon as i turn my car off for a few hours i have to repeat all that again.

Also, if i run the engine with the cap off, the coolant will bubble for a few seconds, stop for a while then randomly bubble again. i dont think this is the head gasket as i have no white smoke/steam coming out of my exhaust on no mayo stuff on the oil cap.

Thanks in advance hope you can understand what im trying to say!

Joe

Sounds like an air lock/not enough coolant... whats the level on cold?

<tuffty/>

i havent checked when on cold as of yet will do that tomorrow, i believe its quite low though but as soon as i take the cap off it comes up to the min and max

Its called an expansion tank for a reason lol... its fairly normal for the level to rise a bit but needs to be topped up to ensure the level is right...

When was the last time the coolant was changed? might also be worthwhile doing a hydrocarbons test too although if the coolant has not been changed in a month of sundays that may not help

<tuffty/>