A3 Coolant Problem

jonny1409

Reaction score
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can give me some pointers / advice please ?

Basically I've recently bought a second hand Audi A3 (51 plate - 66,000 miles) and it's been running fine for the last couple of months, although there was a coolant leak when I bought it so this was fixed as it was due to some problem with the radiator or pump or something (apologies, but I'm not technical as far as cars are concerned!)

Anyway, I've suddenly noticed oil patches on the driveway so it looks as though there is a problem there.
Also, the coolant warning light has started coming on the dashboard and the temperature gauge shows 120 once i've been driving for about 10 minutes.

I've topped up the coolant as it was showing under the minimum, but the next day, the same thing happened.

What is likely to be the cause of this ?
Is it serious ?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Thank you.

Be warned mate mine was doing something similar and after a quick trip halfway up the M6 it decided to dump all the water and boil whatever was left. I put 2L of water back in, limped it home and it was diagnosed as a blown head gasket. It is at this point in time being operated on by the good doctors at RSD.

That doesn't sound good !

How much would I be looking at for this do you reckon ?
Ballpark figure would be great as I know it will obviously vary from place to place.

Thanks.

Mine has to have the head skimmed and is costing £420. Fingers crossed it should be back tomorrow night. My advice to you is get it checked as soon as poss. If you can sort it before it goes horribly wrong it could work out cheaper. I'm not guaranteeing you it is the head gasket but it sounds very similar.

Thanks a lot - It's actually going in tomorrow, but I guess it's going to be expensive regardless.

Hello,

I've now had it into the garage and he has pressure tested the car and found no leak !

There was oil leaking but this was due to the oil cap being missing (I knew this was missing and I had one on order, and now it's on there).

I checked both the oil and coolant before driving it tonight and both are full.

However, I've just driven it and after about 5 minutes / 3 miles, the coolant light came on and the temperature gauge went up to 120.

Could the sensor be at fault, or is there definitely something else ?

At a guess, I would say it'd be one of them. Is the fan cutting in at all? When you turn the heating on does it blow hot air? What engine is it?

1.6 petrol engine.

Not really sure about the fan cutting in to be honest.
If I put the heaters onto cold though, cold air definitely comes in.

And when you put them on to hot?? As for the fan cutting in, run the engine so the temp is above 90 then with the engine running open the bonnet and have a look at the fan, if it's spinning it's working.

Ok, I've just done a few checks :

1) I started the engine and left it running for about 7-8 minutes - the temperature sensor went up to 90 and stayed there.

However, earlier tonight it reached 120 in less than 5 minutes whilst driving. Does this signify anything ?

2) I put the heaters on to hot and left them for the duration, but they didn't heat up.

3) I opened the bonnet whilst the engine was on and the fan wasn't spinning.

4) I also noticed a very quick 'clicking' coming from near the coolant holder.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for taking the time to help me - I really appreciate it.

Ok, I've just done a few checks :

1) I started the engine and left it running for about 7-8 minutes - the temperature sensor went up to 90 and stayed there.

However, earlier tonight it reached 120 in less than 5 minutes whilst driving. Does this signify anything ?

2) I put the heaters on to hot and left them for the duration, but they didn't heat up.

3) I opened the bonnet whilst the engine was on and the fan wasn't spinning.

4) I also noticed a very quick 'clicking' coming from near the coolant holder.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for taking the time to help me - I really appreciate it.

1) That's called sods law.

2) I would lean towards thermostat.

3) And the fan switch(just underneath the fan).

4) Could be the waterpump.

There is a water temp sensor on the righthand side of the engine(as you stand in front of the car and look at the engine) between the engine and the airbox that apparently has a habit of giving up the ghost(they cost about £25 to replace). The waterpump, if it's original, has plastic impellers that break and the pump can be replaced with aftermarket version that has metal impellers(not sure how much, but I know a place that sells them).

Thanks for all of your help and advice - I think I'm going to have to take it in again as I have a very limited skill set as far as cars are concerned.

At least it's given me some pointers though.

Thanks again.

S'cool, I hope it helps. Mine is proper fubar!! I managed to crack the head on it when I blew the head gasket :( I guess the surgery for mine is about to get VERY serious!!

That's the thing - I don't know what to do for the best.
I don't know if I should be driving it, as I'd hate to do tons of damage when IO shouldn't be driving it, but at the same time I need to get to work and back.

I'd hate to say 'yes drive it' and then have it go pop on you. If it was me, I'd take it to a surgeon before using it but then I only live a mile away from where I work. All I can say driving it whilst it's behaving like this IS running a huge risk. But then it's your car so your call.

I know - I think I'm going to have to brave it tomorrow, then see if I can get it booked in for next week.

I work 25 miles away, so bus isn't an option unfortunately.

Cheers again though - I do appreciate it.

I can understand that, the only thing I'd say is drive steady and turn your heater up full with the blower going flat out(if you do get any hot air and you get too warm open the windows), carry some water with you, about 2 litres, cuz if it does boil up you'll need to replace the liquid, then learn to change gear and steer with crossed fingers ;) Best of luck.