Comfort windows close but don't open?

Locoblade

Reaction score
Having got my car last week I've already attacked it with the VCDS lead and enabled a couple of things. One I wanted which didn't appear to be enabled was the comfort window open/close via the remote fob. I found the relevant area in VCDS only to find the tick box was already there (something like "comfort window on remote").

So, I wound down a window then locked and held the button, and low and behold the window closed. However, the reason I thought it wasn't enabled is it won't open the windows in the same way by pressing and holding the unlock button when locked. Is this normal?

Enable Remote Operation Windows and Sunroof

[46 - Cent. Conv.] [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] Byte 2
Bit 2 - Set to 1

is that the coding you used ?

It may be in your MMI in the car setting.
Mine is and either open or close were initially set to 'off'.
But I can't remember if it was there before I started fiddling with VCDS.

Last edited:
Ah OK didn't realise there was a setting in MMI as well, I'll have a check in the morning. Thanks.

Make sure it's activated in the MMI, it should be under door locks where it says 'long hold to open windows' or something. it's not in the same place as the old menu and therefore very easily overlooked

Taken from a5oc forum.

Perhaps thus should be added to the list on here fir future reference if correct

Above is the difference on b8.5

Cant edit as on phone & connection is sketchy lol

I've had a look through the MMI Green menu but couldn't find it. Can someone please post on here where the option is on the green menu?
Thanks

Thanks, yes it was indeed disabled in MMI, there's two settings one for front windows going down and the other for the rears, both were set to OFF. Like you say its buried in a couple of sub-menus so not immediately obvious.

cheers

Reactions: Scott.T
Thanks, yes it was indeed disabled in MMI, there's two settings one for front windows going down and the other for the rears, both were set to OFF. Like you say its buried in a couple of sub-menus so not immediately obvious.

cheers
Glad you got it sorted.

Reactions: Locoblade
Its not in the green menu, just regular MMI settings. Press...
Car - Car Systems - Vehicle Settings - Central Locking - Long Press to Open Window

You should find two settings for front and rear windows in there, set both to On obviously.

I've had a look through the MMI Green menu but couldn't find it. Can someone please post on here where the option is on the green menu?
Thanks

Reactions: allanmb
Its not in the green menu, just regular MMI settings. Press...
Car - Car Systems - Vehicle Settings - Central Locking - Long Press to Open Window

You should find two settings for front and rear windows in there, set both to On obviously.

Thanks! I thought it was more difficult than that. Got it working now. The strange thing is that it used to work and somehow got turned off...

Its a setting I never advise clients to have set, incase you sit on the key or kids grab hold of & press buttons.

Yep there is the chance you could accidentally wind them down whilst indoors and not know, sods law it will be p*ssing down outside too :) Had the feature on my BMWs for the last 6 years though and never managed it so happy to take that small risk as it's useful for cooling down a hot car before you get in.