1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch/Flywheel options for BAM motor

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by aragorn, Mar 30, 2011.

1. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 30, 2011]
    Yet another question about this BAM rebuild.

The guy asked me to see what the options are with the clutch.

Given its all out its probably a good idea to change the clutch at this point however when i inspected the flywheel it seems to "wobble". IE if you grab one edge of the friction surface, you can pull/push it away from and towards the crankshaft and it sort of rocks from side to side.

I've had a look around and there appears to be a chassis revision on the flywheel assy around 2002, with this car being a 2004 model it has the newer version of the flywheel which costs a whopping 450quid. A Sachs clutch kit comes in around £160, meaning its nearly 600quid on a new flywheel and clutch.

Are there any other viable options?

Can i use the cheaper earlier flywheel, and what are the differences between the two?

Is this "wobbly" flywheel normal, meaning i can refit it as is and just throw a new clutch and slave cylinder in?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 25, 2014]

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 30, 2011]
    A3's and S3's finished at 2003 so more than likely missed the revision... the TT section or even the TTOC forum may be a better shout for that info... where did you get the prices from?

VAG have a habit of doing silly things with DMF's and clutches... Colin's (CMD) A4 was a funny one too with a clutch and DMF that appeared to be limited to his model on that particular year!!

I can't imagine there would be much difference using an older version assuming the gearbox didn't change (the only reason I can think of as to why the clutch etc would be different)...

The DMF and clutch for my S3 came to around the £350 from GSF and are LuK parts...

<tuffty/>
  4. aragorn

[Mar 30, 2011]
    Prices came from euro car parts.

The S3 did seem to get the later flywheel, according to ETKA Chassis number 3-050001> had the later flywheel.

TT's seemed to get it a bit earlier.

Afaik they all have the same 02M gearbox, so no idea what changed.

Also the actual clutch itself didnt change, only the flywheel...
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  5. <tuffty/>

[Mar 30, 2011]
    If its just the DMF thats changed then I can't see why the earlier one wouldn't work...

<tuffty/>
  6. aragorn

[Mar 30, 2011]
    Any gen on wether this "wobble" is normal?

I know they're supposed to rotate with relation to the crank, and this feels pretty tight and happy in that direction.

My A4 one doesnt wobble however.
  7. aragorn

[Apr 1, 2011]
    bump?
  8. aragorn

[Apr 4, 2011]
    Bump again...

No-ones ever felt a S3 DMF and noticed any play?
  9. Speedy Steve

Speedy Steve Active Member

[Apr 4, 2011]
    change it just for peace of mind. I know its expensive but if it goes will be even more expensive. When i had my clutch changed they said there was a little play which was ok but i said change it anyway POM!
  10. <tuffty/>

[Apr 4, 2011]
    I just changed mine tbh mate... doubt there are many people that have changed their own clutch here and if they have I would imagine that they went single mass...

I would imagine the wobble you describe is not a good thing and would cause a similar imbalance effect to a warped disc... I would suggest trying to find a motor factor close to you where you can have a look at a new one and compare else just bite the bullet and change it... they say the DMF should be changed on every second clutch change and I did buy mine for just over £200 from GSF...

<tuffty/>