clutch/flywheel options

LJ_D

Reaction score
Hi all. I've got a A3 1.9 TDI 130. Remapped to 165bhp/280ftlb (blacksmoke remap).

Last night I was accelerating as was going into national speed limit road from a 30 so from 3rd into 4th the clutch slipped a bit and did it again a couple times more in same scenario.

Haven't put my foot down as don't want or need to so taking it even easier.

Now my question is I'm thinking of converting to single mass flywheel clutch kit.

Heard good things about the valeo smf kit.

But what are people opinions, not looking at spending silly money on a clutch kit but want a good quality kit that could easily handle 180bhp/310ftlb if I go upto that map.

T.I.A

i have the valeo smf in my s3 works fine but the only downside with smf is it’s noisy on tick over as you get a gearbox chatter although you probably wouldn’t hear it over the Diesel engine anyway

Yeah I've read that they can be noisy on tick over, but I've also read other saying in SE threads that there's is nice and quiet also.

Where cheapest place to get one from. Think I've seen a lot for mine low end of £200 mark.

Thanks

Also should I mention it's 6 speed.

Reading alot of debate on whether to go smf or not.

Can people that have done it or know of people that have done it mind giving feedback.

Also read that the valeo smf kit only handles 270ftlb max, I'm currently running 280ftlb, looking at going 180bhp/310ftlb.

I have a 1.8t s3, converted to smf last year and got the cg motor sports carbon Kevlar stage 2 kit. It was really smooth for the first couple thousand miles but then the pedal started to feel notchy..

Had the chatter on idle straight away but that didn't really bother me. But after awhile longer it was getting stiff to put on gear. I changed the box and put a new standard oem slave cylinder on and the same happened, couple thousand miles later it feels terrible. I don't know weather its another issue but I'm not happy with it and going back to dual mass with an updated clutch disk in the new Year.

Given that yours is diesel you would probably get quite noisy chatter, I've seen it on a pd130 bora that went smf and it wasn't nice but all depends weather you want a smooth and quiet pedal or abit more raw and rough feel.

Hope that helps

Yeah I'm thinking of staying dmf just to play it safe.

Question is now LUK or SACHS, which is better/lasts longer and which can handle more power/torque.

I'm currently running 165bhp/280ftlb blacksmoke remaps map, wanting to go for the 180bhp/310ftlb. But my dilemma is which kit is better.

Or are there any other kits that a better and similar priced?!

Thanks for reply

Mate go luk but both are essentially oem spec.
Luk flywheel is also advisable to make sure does feel oem driving wise.

Ok, think I'll go LUK then.

Can get full clutch kit and flywheel with CSC and new bolts for £295, unless anyone knows anywhere cheaper?!

With it easily handle and last at 310ftlb though?!

I don't rag it round everywhere mainly take it easy as don't need to put foot down to get upto speed, and only give it the odd quarter throttle just to feel it pull to 3000rpm now and then as you do....

There's also a Kevlar clutch kit with I think a smf flywheel for £395, but is it worth the extra £100

Why's the name been star'd out lol

Yeah I have, mixed reviews on them etc....

I did question them about it as read a thread that the lad had been sent reconditioned parts and they sent him brand new ones, other saying they've it lasted a day, or a year.

There saying they bought kits not upto the job of there tune etc and that them posts are from numerous years ago and technology has come a long way and there kits are brilliant.

So do I go for that kit or will a Luk dmf kit be upto job of 310ftlb and last a good few years?!