Chris Harris review -Rock solid ride

evil_scooby

Reaction score
Anyone see the actual review yet? I saw him post up on Twitter saying it had a rock solid ride and terrible alloys.

I'm worried about the ride as dealer talked me out Mag ride as it doesn't make it stiffer, only harder and tighter

Comments?
ef958f4bf8617f71af9e422f2057eecc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: jimojameso
I think the ride is rock hard, even in comfort with mag ride!

I've got no mag ride i.e Std RS suspension and I think the ride is very good not hard not soft very good in fact.
Can't talk for mag ride though.

The one I went out in had no mag ride and it felt great. Rock solid my ****.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I don’t see how they are the worst alloys, oh well.
The ride really isn’t rock hard, even the standard suspension is quite forgiving.

One thing I noted, he is underneath the old Severn Crossing between Wales and England, only about 40 minutes away from me... cool!

Rock Solid does not mean Rock Hard.

It means GREAT ride. The car feels solid and well placed. Thats what he means by rock solid.

2017, the year where US Presidents can start wars via twitter, and once sentence tweets can also be called car 'reviews'.

This is nothing noteworthy, lets wait and see if he uploads a video before calling it a review?

Reactions: PanamaS3
Rock Solid does not mean Rock Hard.

It means GREAT ride. The car feels solid and well placed. Thats what he means by rock solid.

2017, the year where US Presidents can start wars via twitter, and once sentence tweets can also be called car 'reviews'.

This is nothing noteworthy, lets wait and see if he uploads a video before calling it a review?
I'm really not sure that's what he means. When he says rock solid ride AND worst alloys BUT... suggests he doesn't like the ride.

Reactions: evil_scooby
I'm really not sure that's what he means. When he says rock solid ride AND worst alloys BUT... suggests he doesn't like the ride.

Chris Harris has never even liked Audi, not difficult to understand. He is always for BMW and Porsches which are outstanding in his opinion and is of course good cars but there is a load of others also and I am not talking just about the RS3.

as a fellow Brit I think I can attest to what he means...."rock solid" means good, sorted, dialed-in....it doesn't mean rock hard ie. sh1t
also I agree above....its not a review by any means....but am looking forward to a video of some kind soon where he thrashes the nuts off it and complains that the chassis can't keep up with the engine on the limit (typical) lol

as a fellow Brit I think I can attest to what he means...."rock solid" means good, sorted, dialed-in....it doesn't mean rock hard ie. sh1t
also I agree above....its not a review by any means....but am looking forward to a video of some kind soon where he thrashes the nuts off it and complains that the chassis can't keep up with the engine on the limit (typical) lol
He doesn't mean it as a compliment. He says rock hard ride AND worst alloys, suggesting he thinks the ride is as poor as the alloys. He then says "but despite that it's sodding fast".

Reactions: Evotion
He doesn't mean it as a compliment. He says rock hard ride AND worst alloys, suggesting he thinks the ride is as poor as the alloys. He then says "but despite that it's sodding fast".
are you reading the same thing? he says "rock solid"....yes he doesn't like the alloys (not many do) and he is referring to the looks not implying they affect the ride.
anyway it will be an interesting review as they didn't like much the preFL:
"We liked the TT RS a lot when we drove it last year, because its epic point-to-point teleporter pace wasn’t spoiled by unrecoverable understeer. The outgoing RS3, meanwhile, was a straight-line monster but tediously numb and nose-heavy to drive. It wouldn’t see which way a far less powerful car – say the ace new Honda Civic Type R, if you like – would have gone down a mildly twisting road. So if Audi Sport has learned its lesson by slotting in the lighter motor, we might finally get an RS3 worth seeking corners in. And a few extra horsepower is a choice bonus…"

are you reading the same thing? he says "rock solid"....yes he doesn't like the alloys (not many do) and he is referring to the looks not implying they affect the ride.
anyway it will be an interesting review as they didn't like much the preFL:
"We liked the TT RS a lot when we drove it last year, because its epic point-to-point teleporter pace wasn’t spoiled by unrecoverable understeer. The outgoing RS3, meanwhile, was a straight-line monster but tediously numb and nose-heavy to drive. It wouldn’t see which way a far less powerful car – say the ace new Honda Civic Type R, if you like – would have gone down a mildly twisting road. So if Audi Sport has learned its lesson by slotting in the lighter motor, we might finally get an RS3 worth seeking corners in. And a few extra horsepower is a choice bonus…"
Ha! Yes I'm reading the same thing. Until we see his actual video review, we won't know for sure exactly what he means. However, it's written in such a way that would imply he doesn't like the rock hard ride as he then mentions "and the worst wheels", following it up by saying "but"... as if all is not lost.

I'm not suggesting he is suggesting the worst wheels are the worst because they affect the ride. That's probably just to do with the looks of them.

Should someone not just ask him lol. Sure he gets back to people pretty quickly
His video on it will probably be out in the next day or so.

Reactions: FBF01
It's not RWD though; if he can't power-slide for the camera the end result is obvious. The PFL doesn't under-steer either btw, the only place that may happen is if you chuck it into a bend on a racetrack which is not the place that I drive mine 99% of the time :innocent:

TX.

Reactions: ChrisRS3 and AudiNutta
if he can't power-slide for the camera the end result is obvious
lol...too right....he will push it to the limit (on race course) complain its not a full on race car....mutter some stuff about Audi and understeer....say its really fast....be a good read/watch and nice to see an entertaining review so yeah looking forward to it

I'm with Doc. Well, both sides actually.

In the context he specifically wrote it, it does appear to me that he is being negative about both aspects of the car.
IF... we had HEARD him say it we might be able to make a distinction from his tone.

At face value , read as print, he is penning them both together as a negative.

However, there is one contention, which may be borne out by a later video. When somebody says Rock Solid, it is usually used in a positive way such as a 'Rock Solid Investment'. If he was berating the cars suspension then he should/could have used words such as brutal rise, boneshaking or harsh.

The jury is therefore out. :)

Indeed, if the rock solid was a compliment, he'd have said "rock solid ride BUT the worst alloys.."

Rock solid is good.
He is spot on regarding the alloys.
And it could be worse - what do you think Clarkson has written..? One of his comments was that it 'has a boot for starters'..at least Harris tells it more like it is!

Rock solid is good.
He is spot on regarding the alloys.
And it could be worse - what do you think Clarkson has written..? One of his comments was that it 'has a boot for starters'..at least Harris tells it more like it is!
Which alloys is he talking about rotors or blades??

no sh1t Sherlock lol....thought a refresher on "old" one was in order whilst we wait for new review

Reactions: AudiNutta, FBF01 and evil_scooby
Harris loved the RS6 too when he ran it for a while. TBH there are times I've agreed with him and even bought a car because of his evangelism for a car (1M) and there are times he's flip flopped and I disagreed with his sentiments (mainly because I'm nowhere near as talented as he is behind a wheel. He was initially tepid on the current M3 in an early review due to it being a bit wild and rubbish in bad weather and then ran one for a while in a bright green colour and extolled it's virtues.

He's like anyone really - owning and long term running a car offers a different perspective than a quick review. He does offer an amusing insight into the cars he review, something I appreciate but I always test drive and over a weekend if I can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Javbomb you have the FL RS3.....so what do YOU think he means by "rock solid"? Bit harsh in Dynamic? Well sorted suspension set up? Love to get your views.
Judging by the photo he posted, the car he drove (if that is it) does not have the alloys yours does which a lot of people feel very Marmite about....though many say they are much better "in the flesh" and I doubt also have anything to do with a harsh ride as that would make any 19" wheels not worth having if they affect the ride that much.

I love my wheels, SO much more after seeing them in person. The rotors feel extremely dated to me, and those are the wheels he seems to comment on, so in a sense I agree with him, I have not liked the look of them on any of the FL RS3's I have seen thus far but thats my taste. I dont think I would change these wheels now that I have them, I havent really liked any of the aftermarket wheels on this car I have seen either, they blades have certainly grown on me. I think lowering the car by 15mm's and adding 10mm wheel spacers all around would make my car look sorted.

My car is very good in dynamic, I use it 95% of the time, on highways with the wife in the car and we go through bumpy sections of road at 110km/hr I may put the car in comfort mode. If you have ****** roads, expect a bumpy ride, don't fly over speed bumps etc... treat the suspension with common sense. Comfort is definitely slightly softer, I can feel the difference between the two, the rebound on comfort is less immediate than dynamic and I think thats where most of the feel is.

The car around corners is extremely flat, the rear even rotates well on occasion, this is excellent, it feels very nimble and on point compared to the A3 Sedan I owned previously with the 1.8 engine (read as lighter), but the RS3 is far quicker and more direct in its steering around my local 'racetrack' which consists of the few turns and streets, roundabouts etc before I pull into my driveway.

I would not describe the suspension as a rock, not by a long shot.

He is the expert though, he has driven more supercars than most people, and if his barometer is things like the McLaren trick suspension then of course the Audi is going to suck in comparison...

I have paid for the staggered wheels, it would be too expensive to source staggered wheels now to be worthwhile.

I absolutely love the standard wheel on the S3 Saloon (19”), but you won’t get them in a 255. Trouble is though, the rotors on the 8V are the signature RS look and replace them for anything else and side on you risk it not looking like an RS to those who know them.

I can’t picture the likes of the RS6 Performance wheels on the RS3, perhaps just because we haven’t seen anything like it on them.

I have paid for the staggered wheels, it would be too expensive to source staggered wheels now to be worthwhile.

I absolutely love the standard wheel on the S3 Saloon (19”), but you won’t get them in a 255. Trouble is though, the rotors on the 8V are the signature RS look and replace them for anything else and side on you risk it not looking like an RS to those who know them.

I can’t picture the likes of the RS6 Performance wheels on the RS3, perhaps just because we haven’t seen anything like it on them.
Watch this space as I quite fancy rs6 or something different on mine if it ever arrives

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I will deffo be changing the wheels as soon as the car arrives. I have a set of 20x9 wheels with the same std pattern so I will see how they fit and go from there..... as there is no definitive guide on wheel sizing for the FL yet

Reactions: evil_scooby
I love my wheels, SO much more after seeing them in person. The rotors feel extremely dated to me, and those are the wheels he seems to comment on, so in a sense I agree with him, I have not liked the look of them on any of the FL RS3's I have seen thus far but thats my taste. I dont think I would change these wheels now that I have them, I havent really liked any of the aftermarket wheels on this car I have seen either, they blades have certainly grown on me. I think lowering the car by 15mm's and adding 10mm wheel spacers all around would make my car look sorted.

My car is very good in dynamic, I use it 95% of the time, on highways with the wife in the car and we go through bumpy sections of road at 110km/hr I may put the car in comfort mode. If you have ****** roads, expect a bumpy ride, don't fly over speed bumps etc... treat the suspension with common sense. Comfort is definitely slightly softer, I can feel the difference between the two, the rebound on comfort is less immediate than dynamic and I think thats where most of the feel is.

The car around corners is extremely flat, the rear even rotates well on occasion, this is excellent, it feels very nimble and on point compared to the A3 Sedan I owned previously with the 1.8 engine (read as lighter), but the RS3 is far quicker and more direct in its steering around my local 'racetrack' which consists of the few turns and streets, roundabouts etc before I pull into my driveway.

I would not describe the suspension as a rock, not by a long shot.

He is the expert though, he has driven more supercars than most people, and if his barometer is things like the McLaren trick suspension then of course the Audi is going to suck in comparison...

good to know mate...and cheers for the input :friends:. sounds like you're very happy with it which is the main thing.
for me, I can't justify going to the RS unless its a considerable improvement in ride over my car as I couldn't care less about the power, only the sound, and just for that its not worth me changing. my roads suck, so jury is still out for me on this

good to know mate...and cheers for the input :friends:. sounds like you're very happy with it which is the main thing.
for me, I can't justify going to the RS unless its a considerable improvement in ride over my car as I couldn't care less about the power, only the sound, and just for that its not worth me changing. my roads suck, so jury is still out for me on this

I think the RS is a better ride quality than the S3, doesn’t seem as harsh in dynamic.

The dynamic steering also seems lighter, or maybe it’s because all of the steering has more weight than the S3.

Drive one, special car.

I've had 3 S3s and the RS is massive difference in both power and handling. I have an FL sportback and am quite surprised just how much better the actual drive is, balance, turn in, all round road holding over an S3.
You should consider a long testdrive in one.
But I got say the expense is quite a bit more. Basically I had to double my PCP deposit to get near the S3 monthlies.
You only live once.....

I've had 3 S3s and the RS is massive difference in both power and handling. I have an FL sportback and am quite surprised just how much better the actual drive is, balance, turn in, all round road holding over an S3.
You should consider a long testdrive in one.
But I got say the expense is quite a bit more. Basically I had to double my PCP deposit to get near the S3 monthlies.
You only live once.....

another happy customer! lol cheers!

I think the RS is a better ride quality than the S3, doesn’t seem as harsh in dynamic.

The dynamic steering also seems lighter, or maybe it’s because all of the steering has more weight than the S3.

Drive one, special car.

well I am coming from non magride....so don't know what S3 ride quality is like with magride....but I tried to cure my bounce....went back and forth on springs....overall not that happy with how it handles....so yes, am waiting on test drive soon here I hope on FL RS3 with all the bells and whistles

well I am coming from non magride....so don't know what S3 ride quality is like with magride....but I tried to cure my bounce....went back and forth on springs....overall not that happy with how it handles....so yes, am waiting on test drive soon here I hope on FL RS3 with all the bells and whistles

I noticed that with an S3 that had standard suspension, the bouncing over speed bumps was horrendous. On really bad bumps I have it on the Mag Ride but only slight, in dynamic it’s near solid.