Caught speeding 73mph in a 50

Same happened to me, 73 in a 50 and I got 5 points and £100 fine (16 years ago)

I believe you "should" be OK.

The guidelines for a 50MPH zone stipulate 76MPH for a court summons, which means you should be dealt with via FPN.

You won't get offered a speed awareness course, but should get the standard Fixed Penalty as stipulated on your NIP (have you received one yet?)

"Lucky" - 4mph higher and you'd have been 30mph over the limit = compulsory ban as I recall?

Reactions: AudiNutta
No such thing as a "compulsory ban". All bans are at the discretion of the courts, take into account circumstance as well as impact on dependents etc.

You can only be given two of the three of the following:
Ban

It's perfectly possible to be doing 100+ on the motorway and "get away" with a heavy number of points and a hefty fine.

Reactions: Ghost, Audi Bairn and Wibbly
If it goes to court it would in all honesty help with the level of fine you'd get, but if it gets dealt with via Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) then it will make no difference at all.

The only thing "first offence" helps with in an FPN is being offered an awareness course. You're well above the speed threshold for an awareness course though.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Will it help being my first offence

Probably... I wouldn't worry too much. Although a 'high' speed for the limit, they will most probably give you 3 pts and a £100 fine... was it a speed camera or something?

Mobile unit

Have you had a letter in the post to say how fast you were going or that's what you thought you were travelling at? If the latter, you may find that by combination of inaccurate speedo and the calibration of the mobile unit, you 'might' sneak into a lower speed. Happened to me a few years ago, thought I was doing 78 in a 60 and the 'evidence' came back that I was doing 71...

Yeah got a letter in the post saying my speed was 73mph

Reactions: Mark_86
If you've got the letter (NIP) then you should already know what the conditional offer is (assuming they've presented you with one, and not issued you a summons)?

Something along the lines of:

NIP said:
If you wish to contest this allegation in court you may do so. If you do not wish to do so, it may be possible to deal with it by a fixed penalty of £x and the endorsement of x penalty points on your licence, without the necessity for court proceedings.

Reactions: carlcall
Yeah got a letter in the post saying my speed was 73mph

Ah right. I wouldn't worry about it mate, I'd imagine you'll get off with a slap on the wrist, fine and points. Not ideal, but... it's quite scary how quick the S3 picks up speed and before you know it, you're into the danger zone.

Reactions: Tristan2
Issued me with a summons

Ah... bit of detail in the original post would've helped mate lol :)

Ok, yeah, so bigger fine and probably more points. Very much doubt you'll get a ban... just be very sorry.

That's unbelievably unlucky then, given the ACPO guidelines are 76MPH:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_guidance_on_fixed_penalty_notices/ said:
Speed limit: 50 mph

ACPO threshold for:

• a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 57 mph
  • summoning: 76 mph

By the sounds of it they are going to want to issue you with more than £100/3-points. I highly doubt you'll get a ban though, more likely 4-6 points and anywhere up to £1000 fine would be my guess.

it's quite scary how quick the S3 picks up speed and before you know it, you're into the danger zone.

And before you have even had a chance to put it in 4th gear

Expect you will get FPN 3 0r 5 pts and fine equivalent to 2 or 3 tanks of fuel, biggest impact will be on insurance premiums for the next few years unfortunately

Take it on the chin, and move on

Once it's all been sorted do I tell my insurance company straight away or at renewal time?

I've read the letter again and it starts with
Notice of intended prosecution

I've read the letter again and it starts with
Notice of intended prosecution

Yeah, standard really. Mean's they intend to do something about it... be a fine, points, ban, whatever the court decides.

Contest what? You can't contest being summoned to court, you can contest an FPN, but that means GOING to court.

It was waaaaay back in the 90's but I got a summons for driving without due care and attention. When they sent me the court details they told me what my punishment would be, number of points and fine. You only had to go to court if you wanted to contest it. I held my hands up and took my punishment so didn't have to go to court. Would imagine it is still a similar scenario.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I didn't attended, they can just read a statement for you. I'd just say sorry, you won't lose your licence for 73 in a 50

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tristan2
I didn't attended, they can just read a statement for you. I'd just say sorry, you won't lose your licence for 73 in a 50

Even for a summons? I thought you HAD to attend it...

The court should then consider further adjustment for any aggravating or mitigating factors. The following is a non-exhaustive list of additional factual elements providing the context of the offence and factors relating to the offender. Identify whether any combination of these, or other relevant factors, should result in an upward or downward adjustment from the sentence arrived at so far.

Factors increasing seriousness

Statutory aggravating factors:

Previous convictions, having regard to a) the nature of the offence to which the conviction relates and its relevance to the current offence; and b) the time that has elapsed since the conviction
Offence committed whilst on bail
Other aggravating factors:

Offence committed on licence or post sentence supervision
Poor road or weather conditions
Driving LGV, HGV, PSV etc.
Towing caravan/trailer
Carrying passengers or heavy load
Driving for hire or reward
Evidence of unacceptable standard of driving over and above speed
Location e.g. near school
High level of traffic or pedestrians in the vicinity
Factors reducing seriousness or reflecting personal mitigation

No previous convictions or no relevant/recent convictions
Good character and/or exemplary conduct
Genuine emergency established

Reference Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/the-sentencing-council-for-england-and-wales

565a04fc20364fcffbdba941833bf4a5.jpg

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Mark_86
Can I contest it as it was under 76mph

Contest it ! You were going faster than petmitted ANYWHERE in this country, let alone in a 50mph zone.
If you get 3 points that would be very lenient.

Reactions: deltapapa, cemerson, SamR92 and 3 others
Could be worse you could have been pi55ed.
(Sarcasm)
Take it on the chin and learn from it.
Just saying.

I got caught 62 in a 30 not built up area, out in the country I know it's no excuse, I obviously went to court got 6 points and a £450 fine that was 9 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got caught 62 in a 30 not built up area, out in the country I know it's no excuse, I obviously went to court got 6 points and a £450 fine that was 9 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We all speed, well most of us.. if you get caught what can you say? Just the way it goes and some people are unlucky or don't pay attention as in I have no points, my mom has 6 in a Fiat 500.

I just like to feel it's justified and as safe as speeding can ever be if that makes sense even though my last 3 points where for doing 80mph on a clear motorway, sounds normal but I was doing a lot more but saw the van and tested the brakes as there was nothing behind me.

I've had a few beers post done

We all do it, sometimes we get caught. But, I have no sympathy for people that speed excessively or in built up areas. Motorway, country roads, fine... but if your caught doing 130mph on the motorway, well... bye!

Reactions: Audi Toby and OliS3
We all do it, sometimes we get caught. But, I have no sympathy for people that speed excessively or in built up areas. Motorway, country roads, fine... but if your caught doing 130mph on the motorway, well... bye!
Agree 100%