Car wash......

mfspen

Reaction score
......Not the whirling brushes which scour the paintwork on your car, but the stuff you add to the bucket to hand wash it.

Has anyone found any car wash which doesn't leave white marks on the paintwork ?

I've totally failed to find anything suitable.

what steps are you doing when washing your car? (like wash, rinse, dry claybar, wash, dry,polish wax...)

or like wash and leave. If you do not dry off the car then it will leave marks. Use the Flash wash gun thing if you can't be bothered to dry the car off. This will get rid of the white marks

Autoglym bodywork shampoo is the best stuff i've used and i've tried pretty much everything.

The white marks are because you life in a hard water area. Try something like johnson and johnson baby shampoo or megs nxt wash. Both are very good.

J.

rich1068 said:
Yep, as MB says, it's the water not the wash.

You could always get one of these http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/...water filter&gclid=COaEhc2uxIcCFSa6QgodeQiDPA
I used to know a guy that had one of these things to wash his windows! He swore his windows were spotless for well over a couple of months due to this deionised gear making it difficult for dirt to stick to the surface. Not sure how it would do on a car though with all the exhaust fumes etc being blasted about the paintwork. :shrug:

Randomjim said:
Autoglym bodywork shampoo is the best stuff i've used and i've tried pretty much everything.
Same here - given most products a shot and Autoglym does make a difference. I've got a pack which has all their most popular products in, and if you manage to use all them (if you have time!), the end result is impressive.

I got given 50 quids worth of mer cleaning stuff by a rep. Started washing my car with the stuff and i was so unimpressed with it i rewashed it with autoglym. :rolleyes:

You should try Zaino stuff - it doesn't leave any wax residue

http://www.advancedcarproducts.com/products.asp?cat=11

This is mine using the shampoo and polish

zaino2.jpg

car3.jpg

If you want to see shiny :)

This is my drivers door after a wash and wax. This was using my favourite wax Zymols concours. Not a blemish in sight...

a3shiny4.jpg

I live in a hard water area, and found the Flash car wash kit a good way of washing & leaving without getting the white marks. Then we got hit with a hosepipe ban. Now I have a new solution that works even better.

Install a water butt, and you'll have on on-line supply of nice soft rainwater to wash the car with.

Peloton said:
I used to know a guy that had one of these things to wash his windows! He swore his windows were spotless for well over a couple of months due to this deionised gear making it difficult for dirt to stick to the surface. Not sure how it would do on a car though with all the exhaust fumes etc being blasted about the paintwork. :shrug:

There is some truth in that. As part of our business we have a window cleaning side and the Aqua Gleam product is just a smaller version of the van mounted pole systems that many window cleaners now use due to the use of ladders being a bit of a no-no. Many in the business do seem to think that windows stay cleaner for longer.

marriedblonde said:
Surely thats not ideal for window cleaners though...

It's OK, we employ a young lad who wanders around at night throwing bags of chips at all the businesses who haven't phoned us for a while.

rich1068 said:
It's OK, we employ a young lad who wanders around at night throwing bags of chips at all the businesses who haven't phoned us for a while.

LOL...Phew, you had me worried there for a minute!

I use an Ionic filter to rinse mine, it removes all the white marks and as the water is super clean, you dont need to leather it if you dont want. Look for Ionic systems in Google.

Just one last point the temptation is to use too much shampoo, if you rinse your car thoroughly before washing then you can use much less shampoo. The more shampoo you use the more wax (assuming you have any) you remove too.

If you stick to J&J baby shampoo or the Megs Nxt shampoo they are gentle enough to not remove the wzx.

If the harsher, cheaper, ones from halfords and in the car was machine that strip everything but the paint from your car.

J.

I use Autoglym Bodywork shampoo and it works very well in my opinion. Not too foamy and you don't need much for it to be effective. However, I live in the Thames Water area where limescale comes with the water by the truckload. If I don't chamois the car down immediately after rinsing then white circular marks are left which are a menace to remove. I literally rinse one section and then chamois and then do the next section. I can't even leave it for a few minutes. However, regular use of polish and especially Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection does help and it stays on the car for ages.

stu said:
NXT Shampoo isnt that mild, it does remove wax over a number of washes.

I wash my car every week with this and the last time I waxed my car was before inters. Still beads! So how long ago is that 4 months?

J.

RobB said:
I use Autoglym Bodywork shampoo and it works very well in my opinion. Not too foamy and you don't need much for it to be effective. However, I live in the Thames Water area where limescale comes with the water by the truckload. If I don't chamois the car down immediately after rinsing then white circular marks are left which are a menace to remove. I literally rinse one section and then chamois and then do the next section. I can't even leave it for a few minutes. However, regular use of polish and especially Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection does help and it stays on the car for ages.

AutoGlym do a rinse aid which may help?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/L-K-AUTOGLYM-...ryZ72201QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

J.