Cant work out why its misfiring HELP

Audiman99

Reaction score
Hey, basically at around 3000-4000 revs it will hesitate and seem to misifre for a second or so then carry on as normal. I just took it for a test drive and as it misfired, a puff of smoke came from the exhaust. First time i've noticed this, don't think it does it everytime.

Car idles fine, and if I keep below 3000 revs drives brilliantly. I've recently cleaned the MAF, throttle body, injectors, replaced fuel filter and a few hoses that looked knackered also checked and tigtened everything up. Car was fully serviced about 4 months ago by myself.

Vagcom says I have no errors except the low MAF signal from when I disconnected it, still misfired with it unplugged.

I'm guessing if it was a coilpack or sparkplug it would show in vagcom and I would get the flashing icon on the dash. Only thing I haven't checked is DV but it sounds like its working fine.

Any ideas guys?

Allan

I went for the recall last week, but unfortunately as my coils were not originals I was sent away empty handed. I know since I've owned the car I've had to change coils 1 and 2, as they misfired and gave me a vagcom fault. But 3 and 4 as far as I know are originals, so maybe Audi being lazy or just trying to mug me off!?

Any easy ways to test the coils? If I swap them around will the misfire move to a different rev range?

Thanks

Allan

I had exactly the same problem was a coilpack, mine was on cylinder 4

I'm not too sure on the brands, most probably from eurocarparts or vwspares. I guess a trip to Audi is needed again, i'm pretty sure the parts guy is getting sick of seeing my face i'm in their every week! :haha:

Thanks for the help. Ill pop to Audi on my next day off. Anyone know how much they go for?

I've just fitted another coil to mine tonight. So far numbers 3 and 1 have gone in 6 months. Replaced with used VAG ones. Free of charge ;-)

maybe i'm a tight ****, bu get a pair genuine ones off bay for cheap. then go back for the recall? :)

Hey, just a quick update. I changed coils 3 & 4 which turned out not to be original but some cheap brand, probably from ebay. I left 1 & 2 as they were fairly new anyway. The car has never pulled so well and the misfire has gone! Actually don't think its driven this well since I bought it. Anyway I'm happy again, thanks for the help.