Cambelt start issue !

Mrharris2

Boost needed
Reaction score
I'm back with my belt problem. Fitted 4 weeks ago but timing was slightly off anyhow I took it off and replaced belt again yesterday it's timed perfect now started her up ran fine with the washer bottle aux belt and steering fluid off so I went in for the night and finished today out the aux belt and last bits back on went to start ran ok then slowly cut out tried again and it did the same then wouldn't start. Anyhow I went and got extra fuel just incase as my drive is slightly slanted and still nothing. Fuel is priming all connectors are on all hoses fine still timed perfect... Can't check vagcom till tomorrow but I did a check yesterday and nothing came up... Any ideas pleaseee oh I charged the battery it turns over fine but no start arghhh

Shot in the dark here but my a3 won't start agrghh how do I diagnose if the fuel pump has had it. It wants to start and sometimes pops like it's about to and then dies again as you can hear in the video... All wires are connected earths fine all hoses checked fuel is in the rail injectors cleaned coils fine next guess is pump or filter I'm replacing at Xmas anyway but may bring forward to this week and possibly ignition amplifier although last time this went it just didn't want to start and this time it does... Anyhow sorry for the rubbish video but it may help..

Scan it for error codes mine did same as that all saw thought it was the pump but it turned out to be the crank sensor. It cuts off the pump if its busted.

Reactions: Mrharris2
Ok struggling here ignore the cambelt rubbish I posted first that's fine it's timed spot on. I've scanned the car and no codes come up apart from error 01206 signal for duration of ignition off time intermittent it says replace the ignition starter. But the car has always had that error so guessing that's not why it won't start. I have ordered a new fuel pump anyway is there any other way I can check whats wrk as I'm outta ideas and vagcom is showing nothing wrong.. I have a crankshaft position sensor ordered aswell just incase it's that. Possible ignition amplifier although it doesn't say it's gone on vagcom.. Going insane here HELP GURUS

can you hear the fuel pump prime?

Fuel pump relay is common as a common thing.

Yeah mate it's priming and fuel is getting in fine got a new filter too... I replaced the pump relay about 6 month ago as it Wudnt prime then. It started fine before I re connected the water bottle and steering fluid hose then as I finished it all went to start it again and nothing. I didn't touch sensor or anything mechanical that's what is puzzling me. All coils are fine and sparking and plugs are good

Last update from me as the car is about to get kicked lol. I have replaced cam position sensor new maf crank speed sensor checked fuse relay new sytec pump. Fuel is coming out of the lines fine injectors are powering fine ignition amp and coilpacks sparking well. Erm mm confused now would the ignition switch being intermittent stop the car from starting. It goes to fire a few times when I crank it over and then stops and will not fire for more than half a second. Still no fault codes on vagcom.

Could I try old school and connect the ignition and battery wire and then tap the starter to see if it start then I know it's the ignition switch?

Just an update for everyone that's helped me I got my car towed this morning up the road bump started it and it started but was ticking over and running like absolute isht sounded like timing was out or a valve was knack erred anyway left it ticking over and applied slight throttle and sounded better then abit more and more and voila returned to normal battery light went off and it's fine starts fine runs fine so not sure if an injector was clogged or something else but all is well now. Apart from a slight blue smoke which I'm guessing is valve seals as it has always done it ever so slightly and the turbo has been replaced. Hoping not rings​