1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambelt or chain driven?

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by tanz1978, Jul 13, 2011.

1. tanz1978

tanz1978 New Member

[Jul 13, 2011]
    Afternoon!

I'm new to this forum but have found it a really helpful & interesting read. I'm looking at switching to Audi and an A4 in particular. Was originally looking at the B7 but I've started to notice some fairly decent B8 S line's coming onto the market under the 15k mark.

Anyway, I'm going to look at one on Sunday and the guy said that the 143PS TDI is chain driven when I asked about whether the cambelt had been done (car at around 70k miles). I was a bit surprised that the 143 would be chain driven and I've searched high and low, on this forum and others, and can't find a definitive answer.

So apologies if this is a very simple question that has been asked a thousand times but is the 143PS TDI engine chain driven? And, if not, when should the cambelt be replaced according to manufacturer guidelines?

Thanks and I can't wait to get my hands on my first Audi :)
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. sp218

sp218 New Member

[Jul 16, 2011]
    Hi welcome.

I'm also fairly new.

It looks like the engine has a timing belt for the exhaust camshaft and the inlet camshaft is in turn gear-driven by the exhaust camshaft. Not sure about the service schedule though...
  4. redspudder

redspudder Sparky

[Jul 16, 2011]
    Im almost certain it states in the service book that the timing belt be changed at 100K ill check when i get home form work.
  5. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 16, 2011]
    What engine code do you have? I should be able to tell with elsewain & etka if you have a chain driven setup
  6. redspudder

redspudder Sparky

[Jul 18, 2011]
    I had a look in my service book last night and it showed 2.0TDi toothed belt to be changed at 114K,hope this helps
  7. tanz1978

tanz1978 New Member

[Jul 18, 2011]
    Thanks for that. I spoke to Audi the other day and it seems like the 2.0TDI 143PS engine is sometimes belt driven and sometimes chain driven! I guess the only way is to get the engine code from the car sales place and phone up Audi.
  8. redspudder

redspudder Sparky

[Jul 18, 2011]
    I wasnt aware of that just thought it would ne a cambelt would be intersting to know if there is a difference in when either should be changed.