Cambelt or chain driven?

tanz1978

Reaction score
Afternoon!

I'm new to this forum but have found it a really helpful & interesting read. I'm looking at switching to Audi and an A4 in particular. Was originally looking at the B7 but I've started to notice some fairly decent B8 S line's coming onto the market under the 15k mark.

Anyway, I'm going to look at one on Sunday and the guy said that the 143PS TDI is chain driven when I asked about whether the cambelt had been done (car at around 70k miles). I was a bit surprised that the 143 would be chain driven and I've searched high and low, on this forum and others, and can't find a definitive answer.

So apologies if this is a very simple question that has been asked a thousand times but is the 143PS TDI engine chain driven? And, if not, when should the cambelt be replaced according to manufacturer guidelines?

Thanks and I can't wait to get my hands on my first Audi :)

Hi welcome.

I'm also fairly new.

It looks like the engine has a timing belt for the exhaust camshaft and the inlet camshaft is in turn gear-driven by the exhaust camshaft. Not sure about the service schedule though...

Im almost certain it states in the service book that the timing belt be changed at 100K ill check when i get home form work.

What engine code do you have? I should be able to tell with elsewain & etka if you have a chain driven setup

I had a look in my service book last night and it showed 2.0TDi toothed belt to be changed at 114K,hope this helps

Thanks for that. I spoke to Audi the other day and it seems like the 2.0TDI 143PS engine is sometimes belt driven and sometimes chain driven! I guess the only way is to get the engine code from the car sales place and phone up Audi.

I wasnt aware of that just thought it would ne a cambelt would be intersting to know if there is a difference in when either should be changed.