Caliper paint , powder coat/wetpaint or VHT ?

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Been thinking about caliper paint again and have my booked in tomorrow for powder coating , but is this the way to go from durability point of view etc , will it take the heat, I know its baked on anyway but calipers can get a bit on the warm side aswell...
I did consider wet paint but not sure that will be as effective as powder coating , that just leaves VHT paint but most of it is brush on ( from shops ) that is and I not sure my brush on will look as pro finished as spray.
Whats the views chaps on the approved method, I'd like the poweder coat route as I have a colour in mind that I cantfind in other formats as easily.
any feedback would be great.

rob

powder coat will be fine Rob, it'll easy handle the temps normal powder coat should be good to around 500 Fahrenheit, its not like your a 500bhp track monster constantly on the brakes,

POR15 everytime: 3 pics 1) A1 as purchased, 2) With new disc (hub and outer edges with POR15 clear) and backplate and caliper painted with POR15 black, and 3) today with 1500miles of winter running - and new anti-rattle springs.

A1 POR15 1 A1 POR15 2 A1 POR15 3

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
IMG 0625
Hers one I did vht spray and wurth clear

Personally I wouldn't bother with powdercoat, much trickier to mask well and the thickness of the coating can cause issues. Unless your guys very, very good you'll need to potentially remove the powder coat from threads, mounting faces and the dust seal recesses which is not an easy thing to do. I've wet paint at least 6 sets now and never had any issues, much easier to get a nice finish without too much build up in the recesses so it's easy to get the seals etc back in. They are huge chunks of aluminum so excess heat is rarely an issue on a road car.

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5, crazy88 and dannyjb
buildup in certain areas with powder coat was one of my background concerns , I did think that if the dust seal recesses get full of coating they would be a right pain to clean out, had a similar issue with my duke frame years back , had a real nightmare trying to cleanout bits and re thread parts that had been covered when masking had become dislodged.

buildup in certain areas with powder coat was one of my background concerns , I did think that if the dust seal recesses get full of coating they would be a right pain to clean out, had a similar issue with my duke frame years back , had a real nightmare trying to cleanout bits and re thread parts that had been covered when masking had become dislodged.

I used to powder coat and as long as you choose a reputable firm you shouldn't have a problem with masking off. If they used normalasking tape walk away. We always used silicone bungs and high temp tape.

Ive painted them in a few things on my previous cars.

Plasticote, garage door paint, hammerite satin black paint, and never had a issue with heat. My track car calipers are in that japolac 2 part stuff.

yep he does great work, just a shame those skills don't extend online aswell, doesn't appear to have the courtesy to reply to PM's .....maybe i'm just too far down the scale for a reply.:frown new:

I refirbed mine just using red calliper paint just over a year ago and they still look like new

dead1e8700b0bb1bec8b2287157265ba.jpg
f2a67b82b77c83ebf44aa64c6cd3b66d.jpg

6ac2e9a60320b6f1b1b125beef1062da.jpg

One year later they still look good which is more than I can say for the wheels
11be1fde22b9f227cc42eabdf38b4688.jpg

Steve

Reactions: Charlie Farley
they look great chap, by spray application or other method.

yep he does great work, just a shame those skills don't extend online aswell, doesn't appear to have the courtesy to reply to PM's .....maybe i'm just too far down the scale for a reply.:frown new:

Wasn't even aware I had a PM from you or anyone else, not had any notifications from Audi sport for well over a year now plus I'm rarely on here now these days.
To answer your PM tho I assumed you knew about flipping the bleeder and balance pipe, your reply in the thread led me to believe you knew what I was referring to.
On the Porsche the caliper sits on the leading edge of the disc where on the Audi it sits on the trailing edge. To keep the correct piston orientation(smallest leading) you have to use the LH caliper on the RHS and vice versa, This will obviously mean the bleeders sit on the bottom of the caliper so won't bleed properly. To correct it you simply move the balance pipe to where the nipples are then put the nipples where the balance pipe was, no special "procedure".

Reactions: carlcall
Thanks for the reply, sent you a few PM's during the last few years without any reply from you , just assumed the obvious to my last one, anyway, the set I bought were already setup for audi fitment so I was just going to be refitting the parts the way they came off hence why I was looking for clarification on the subject.

thanks for the replies chaps , powder coating would have been handy but the few local firms to me didn't seem to worried about decent masking and I didn't fancy hours of work cleaning out parts afterwards.
Based on your excellent feedback on wet paint method I used the same method and did it myself and saved myself another £50, probably not a expert job but works for me at the moment....

thanks again guys.
rob

just added them to my brembo build thread tony....

Reactions: tony mc