Buying A New FL S3 Saloon - Thinking Of Using A Broker?

WillieOneBall

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So this is my first post, I'm really pleased to be part of such a great community so please be kind

The issue...
I'm looking to buy a brand new S3 Saloon (facelift), I've been and test drove the current one and fallen head over heals in love with it. I thought picking the car was the easy bit but my friend informed me I can make mega savings using a Broker. So I've had a little scout on here and found a couple of companies that have the S3 on their list. Carwow and Orange Wheels, has anyone ever used a broker to buy a new car, can they recommend one, what are the pro's and con's? Is there anything I need to watch out for, I don't want to get stung! Is there a definitive guide to using them or is it as simple as it seems?
Thanks in advance guys I hope to hear from you soon

Reactions: pburv
I used a broker to get a good price, then just asked a local dealer to price match. Some will, some won't. Even heard some people getting better deals :)

CarWow actually deal with the dealer directly, so basically the same. Orange Wheels and Drive the deal are a bit different.

Reactions: WillieOneBall, pburv and Scottyg
Hey guys,

So this is my first post, I'm really pleased to be part of such a great community so please be kind

The issue...
I'm looking to buy a brand new S3 Saloon (facelift), I've been and test drove the current one and fallen head over heals in love with it. I thought picking the car was the easy bit but my friend informed me I can make mega savings using a Broker. So I've had a little scout on here and found a couple of companies that have the S3 on their list. Carwow and Orange Wheels, has anyone ever used a broker to buy a new car, can they recommend one, what are the pro's and con's? Is there anything I need to watch out for, I don't want to get stung! Is there a definitive guide to using them or is it as simple as it seems?
Thanks in advance guys I hope to hear from you soon
@WillieOneBall - Hi & :welcome!: to ASN!

I've changed your thread title & moved it in here for a better response to your question(s) buddy

Reactions: WillieOneBall, pburv and Jassyo06
I would use one. I was going to use carwow but my local dealers matched it (or close enough for me). At the least it gives you an idea of the discount available.

Reactions: WillieOneBall and pburv
Carwow come highly recommended, I have used them as a point of contact recently, although I didn't end up actually buying a car, but it works the way its advertised. They are safer than buying directly from a broker although I had no issue purchasing a car from buyacar in 2008..

Reactions: WillieOneBall
Contact Carfile (http://www.carfile.net). Ordered a S3 Sportback S Tronic yesterday. 14% discount. Spec your car. Get an Audi Code. Contact them and see what Jonathan can do for you. Whether it rocks your boat or not is up to you but at least you have an idea of discount you can get. The car would have to be picked up from Audi Coventry.

Reactions: stan1000, WillieOneBall and pburv
I preferred to buy from an Audi dealership but knew they'd take me for as much as possible, so I got a number of broker quotes with the exact spec of car I wanted with all included options listed. Visited my dealer and asked him to match the average of the lowest three.
The salesman had to phone his boss a couple of times but I got what I wanted and knew it was a fair price.
Now I have someone to go back to if anything goes wrong and there's always the advantage of the goodwill generated when you buy something face to face. It makes it more likely they'll help you out.

Used drive the deal for last two purchases.. Faultless service on both occasions, highly recommended from me... I have never got a local dealer to price match though, or even come close tbh, North West area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be going through for a broker for my next car...There are a lot of people on here that have and got really good deals...I only wish I did with my current car...Good luck mate
ps Welcome to the forum...:friends:

Reactions: WillieOneBall and Jassyo06
Drive the Deal are currently offering 12% off F/L S3 saloons.

Has anybody got more off (for a F/L S3 saloon) from CARWOW, Orange Wheels or Carfile, etc?

We have used DtD for last 4 or 5 purchases and never had any issues. They will take a credit card number for the deposit, but it's the dealer that processes the payment. Also remember that as you pay your deposit with a CC and it's over £100, the card company are jointly responsible if the whole thing goes t**s up.

Reactions: slicko4211, Neil C, pburv and 1 other person
I really wanted to get my car from the local dealer and I made it clear I would shop around (brokers, etc) and he had no problem with that. As soon as I asked him if he could match the broker discount all I heard was a deafening silence from him... I was quite annoyed because even with a good discount they're still making loads of profits on the car and more so with a PCP... It may work for some to get a great deal from a dealership talking face to face but for me it has never worked... At best what was given in one hand was taken with the other... At worse the feeling you're not worthy of buying a car from them... So for this one I'm happy to have gone with a broker and bypassed all the unecessary bull***! But in the end there's different ways to get a good discount so whatever works I suppose.

Reactions: stan1000, pburv and WillieOneBall
Drive the Deal are currently offering 12% off F/L S3 saloons.

Has anybody got more off (for a F/L S3 saloon) from CARWOW, Orange Wheels or Carfile, etc?

We have used DtD for last 4 or 5 purchases and never had any issues. They will take a credit card number for the deposit, but it's the dealer that processes the payment. Also remember that as you pay your deposit with a CC and it's over £100, the card company are jointly responsible if the whole thing goes t**s up.
14% (13.96 to be exact) with Carfile on S3 Sportback S Tronic.
OrangeWheels never called me back... Big mistake. CarWow was more like 11-12% and didn't try DTD.
To be fair my low discount target was 12% and my dream discount was 15% so for me as soon as I had the Carfile discount I decided to stop wasting more of my time shopping around and start wasting time waiting for my freaking car to be build/delivered :rock:

Reactions: pburv and WillieOneBall
Wow guys great response thanks, I was a little unsure which was the best spot for this thread so glad it's ended up in the right place. Ius admit from what I've read of all your experiences a broker seems like a pretty safe way to go and has possible discounts much higher than I expected, I mean upto 14% that's incredible. This spells trouble though because I'm going to end up adding more extras with the savings .
On another note has anyone got a PDF of the new standard spec sheet for the S3 because the dealer didn't have one?

Wow guys great response thanks, I was a little unsure which was the best spot for this thread so glad it's ended up in the right place. Ius admit from what I've read of all your experiences a broker seems like a pretty safe way to go and has possible discounts much higher than I expected, I mean upto 14% that's incredible. This spells trouble though because I'm going to end up adding more extras with the savings .
On another note has anyone got a PDF of the new standard spec sheet for the S3 because the dealer didn't have one?
Configuator: http://configurator.audi.co.uk/controller?next=carline-page&mandant=accx-uk
Specs: https://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/...-and-Sportback-including-e-tron-Pricelist.pdf

What no one has pointed out here is unfortunately with a broker you cant chose which dealership to collect the car from, you will need to go where they have the deal set up, but I'm sure if your saving around 14% you wouldn't be caring. It's all fine and well using these brokers, but having been on the other side of this "wankstain salesmen" as they were quoted above, are doing their job, trying to make some money, and provide, this takes all that away, and I bet when anything goes wrong, you'll be into your local dealer to help you. I know it shouldn't, but if you buy from a local dealer, as also said above, you have created that relationship, and IF anything does go wrong, they'll be much more willing to try and help you out.

What I would recommend is the above, which I do to any of my friends who ask, get some quotes, and give the local boys the opportunity to take your business, then you'll have a relationship setup for the next few years, and a point of contact for your next car.

Reactions: 41YN, Scottk, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
What no one has pointed out here is unfortunately with a broker you cant chose which dealership to collect the car from, you will need to go where they have the deal set up, but I'm sure if your saving around 14% you wouldn't be caring. It's all fine and well using these brokers, but having been on the other side of this "wankstain salesmen" as they were quoted above, are doing their job, trying to make some money, and provide, this takes all that away, and I bet when anything goes wrong, you'll be into your local dealer to help you. I know it shouldn't, but if you buy from a local dealer, as also said above, you have created that relationship, and IF anything does go wrong, they'll be much more willing to try and help you out.

What I would recommend is the above, which I do to any of my friends who ask, get some quotes, and give the local boys the opportunity to take your business, then you'll have a relationship setup for the next few years, and a point of contact for your next car.
Indeed you have to collect the car from a possibly distant dealership so again it may not be for everyone.
In my case it works.
As much as I'd like to create this relationship you're talking about I've never experienced it... Never! By the time I went back to the dealership for another car (3-4 years later) the dealer had left for pasture new and it was back to square one... So this relationship for me has zero value. But it's great that it works for some. I suppose it depends where you live, which dealership, etc... Maybe I've been unlucky!

Reactions: mister.c., pburv and glasgowdubber
My son-in-law went into the local Audi dealership earlier in the year with the intention of ordering a new A3. They treated him like he was just a 'dreamer', said he felt humiliated so went home and ordered online from DTD.

Has had a hassle free faultless service.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Max-Robbo, mister.c. and 2 others
My son-in-law went into the local Audi dealership earlier in the year with the intention of ordering a new A3. They treated him like he was just a 'dreamer', said he felt humiliated so went home and ordered online from DTD.

Has had a hassle free faultless service.
Good for him....
Their loss.....:friends:

Reactions: Max-Robbo, CrypticMG and SpeedyFrog
Indeed you have to collect the car from a possibly distant dealership so again it may not be for everyone.
In my case it works.
As much as I'd like to create this relationship you're talking about I've never experienced it... Never! By the time I went back to the dealership for another car (3-4 years later) the dealer had left for pasture new and it was back to square one... So this relationship for me has zero value. But it's great that it works for some. I suppose it depends where you live, which dealership, etc... Maybe I've been unlucky!

Apologies if people have never heard of any profanities, I'm sure none of you swear in day to day situations. See, the thing was, having folks in the trade, gave me an edge in knowing full well that buying through orange wheels meant I was getting it from my local garage. I never go to a dealership for 'help' I go in cos my brand new vehicle is under warranty!!

I don't go into Audi to make friends!! I go ther cos I need wheels!!

Yes I may be a nightmare customer, but hey you pays your money, you takes your choice!! I'm sure people would complain to their boss if they never got paid right!!

Schmeh....

Reactions: mister.c., pburv and SpeedyFrog
Apologies if people have never heard of any profanities, I'm sure none of you swear in day to day situations. See, the thing was, having folks in the trade, gave me an edge in knowing full well that buying through orange wheels meant I was getting it from my local garage. I never go to a dealership for 'help' I go in cos my brand new vehicle is under warranty!!

I don't go into Audi to make friends!! I go ther cos I need wheels!!

Yes I may be a nightmare customer, but hey you pays your money, you takes your choice!! I'm sure people would complain to their boss if they never got paid right!!

Schmeh....
At the end of the day when you go into the dealers for warranty/ service the people you will see will not be the salesmen but the service guys..Who probably don't give a t*ss who you bought the car from ...:whistle2:

Reactions: stan1000, Craig F and SpeedyFrog

Delivery to your specified address is usually included, pay extra if you want it on a car transporter. If you go through Carwow then delivery is free through some dealerships do charge..
When I purchased my Ford from a broker my local dealership was fine and bent over backwards to assist me when any servicing or warranty work was required, because, in their words, 'you still have purchased one of our cars'.

Reactions: Craig F
Delivery to your specified address is usually included, pay extra if you want it on a car transporter. If you go through Carwow then delivery is free through some dealerships do charge..
When I purchased my Ford from a broker my local dealership was fine and bent over backwards to assist me when any servicing or warranty work was required, because, in their words, 'you still have purchased one of our cars'.

I cannot fault ford customer service in any way shape or form. They are good at what they do.

At the end of the day when you go into the dealers for warranty/ service the people you will see will not be the salesmen but the service guys..Who probably don't give a t*ss who you bought the car from ...:whistle2:

Don't they operate as separate businesses??

Therefore it matters not!! Money in the bank from Audi UK.

Get in there mate!

Last edited by a moderator:
This indeed is where my apparent hatred of Audi staff comes from. When I arrive in my scruffs from work I am treated with contempt. Until I roll up my sleeve and the salesman sees my watch is half his years salary... Suddenly I'm offered a cup of tea and a hand job off the secretary.

My son works For Glasgow Audi, junior sales manager he does well only 24 years old, work's 7 days a week 12/14 hour's a day,sometimes even on his holidays and gets 2 brand new Audi Sports cars of his choice to drive around in every year ****** indeed and l take it you're watch costs the same as a well specced S3 cause that's around half his wages not salary wages cause they also have to work their backsides off to make a living just like the rest of us,as for me l wouldn't walk into any showroom with my working clothes on,as l work on construction sites,l leave visiting car showrooms to the weekend.
Everyone is entitled to shop for a car in any manner they wish,but l wouldn't travel far just for the sake 1-2% extra discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: glasgowdubber
Jassy,

7 days a week 12-14 hrs is unsustainable for a long amount of time so this must be accounted for. As for working on my holiday?? My family count more.

His tax on those vehicles will be accounted for on his P11d. More emissions more tax, so get an Eco model, not sports.

Yes my timepiece is roughly the price of a well specced S3. Google Rolex day date in 18k gold. New.

I am a HVAC engineer, I am not ashamed of my trade, going to a dealer is not an event to get dressed for. I have better things to do at the weekend.

I did not travel anywhere for my discount. I was 5.7 miles from my home according to a route finder.

I hope this clears up your enquiry.

Reactions: Cymru09
Think the popcorn may need to come out now...

Think the popcorn may need to come out now...

Which movie are we going watch then.....The "Time Machine" hear there pretty expensive....tried to Google them but they where all fake lol
Last time l looked a TT roadster was a Audi Sports car,
IMG 2202
just banter... but you're generalisation of Audi staff is wrong....that's like me saying all hvac ducting engineer's/air con engineers are all merchant banker's,there's good and bad in every job.we all need to pay the bills and to buy the nice things in life whether that be a watch or anything else that floats one's boat,so no popcorn required mate

No popcorn be required.
Language on this thread is ridiculous. We have members children that read in here and also other members take exception to profanities. So have a think before you post

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Jassyo06, SpeedyFrog and 1 other person
I guess my Diesel watch won't cut it with the ladies then.....:whistle2:

Oh well!:concern:
ps Just keeping things light guys...:friends:

Reactions: SpeedyFrog and Jassyo06
I think the opinion of Audi dealers was quite correct, 10 years ago.

However, nowadays they are clever enough to understand that there are plenty of people with money who like to dress down on their time off.

Lets face it, Audi are not an elite brand. They are a volume seller just like BMW, Mercedes and VW etc.....times have changed and people nowadays tend to drive cars that are worth a bigger percentage of their income.

Once upon a time Audi definitely looked down their noses at you if you walked in with joggers and a T shirt on.

Definitely not the case any more at either Aberdeen, Perth, Newcastle or Hull Audi, all of whom I have visited in the past 5 or so years.

Reactions: pburv and SpeedyFrog
I think the opinion of Audi dealers was quite correct, 10 years ago.

However, nowadays they are clever enough to understand that there are plenty of people with money who like to dress down on their time off.

Lets face it, Audi are not an elite brand. They are a volume seller just like BMW, Mercedes and VW etc.....times have changed and people nowadays tend to drive cars that are worth a bigger percentage of their income.

Once upon a time Audi definitely looked down their noses at you if you walked in with joggers and a T shirt on.

Definitely not the case any more at either Aberdeen, Perth, Newcastle or Hull Audi, all of whom I have visited in the past 5 or so years.
Good point. Also I'm pretty sure there are big differences between dealerships. I wouldn't imply a bad experience in one dealership or with one dealer means it's all the same everywhere. And of course last but not least these days (as this forum is the proof of it) information is easily obtained and travels fast so I suppose having customers coming straight at them with a big discount to match and not willing to buy into the sales speech (Almost dictating the deal in some ways - minus the PCP APR % and GMFV which are set in stone by Audi Finance) must be disconcerting and annoying to some extent... I can understand that.
But at the end of the day it can all be done politely! If a dealer doesn't want to give me a particular discount then I leave and go somewhere else. No hard feeling at all.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
Ordered my s3 sb Sept 2014 through orangewheels. Saved 3.6k off list. From Coventry audi. Paid 120 quid and it was delivered to my door on the back of a low loader dec 2014. Never went to the dealer.

Only thing I did before was to take orangewheels quote to local dealer, they couldn't match it.

Reactions: SpeedyFrog
I have never felt intimidated or even remotely miffed at both Audi dealerships l have visited Hamilton and Glasgow very friendly indeed.....I do understand how certain people can/could be slightly intimidated by entering a Audi Showroom, it can be initially a slightly daunting place to visit as there's megabucks cars on show, l just go straight over to the RS/S side" lol and loads of hussle and bussle going on,but hey my money is as good as anyone's
I also understand the no hassle purchase,no car salesman STIGMA via online...Same can be said when l buy me expensive home cinema kit...that l could get slightly cheaper from somewhere down Saawth...but l buy it locally but slightly more expensive,because like in the past when something goes Pete Tong, l know l will get there attention far quicker,with better customer service

Reactions: pburv, SpeedyFrog and glasgowdubber
I merely responded to your points jassy.

TT is a bit poverty spec tho...

I merely responded to your points jassy.

TT is a bit poverty spec tho...
£40k bang & ole/Tech pack connect for £300 a month for 6 months,he's only 24...jeezus...only reason he aint got anything better is because he's under 25 company car insurance policy.wish l could get a car like that and change it every 6 months for nowt,have ye driven a TT...even the demon derv version could run rings round a S3....but we are off topic..lol

I have never felt intimidated or even remotely miffed at both Audi dealerships l have visited Hamilton and Glasgow very friendly indeed.....I do understand how certain people can/could be slightly intimidated by entering a Audi Showroom, it can be initially a slightly daunting place to visit as there's megabucks cars on show, l just go straight over to the RS/S side" lol and loads of hussle and bussle going on,but hey my money is as good as anyone's
I also understand the no hassle purchase,no car salesman STIGMA via online...Same can be said when l buy me expensive home cinema kit...that l could get slightly cheaper from somewhere down Saawth...but l buy it locally but slightly more expensive,because like in the past when something goes Pete Tong, l know l will get there attention far quicker,with better customer service
Yeah I guess they're less friendly down here in London...

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
+1 for Orangewheels, mine came into the Crawly dealership and like others the local dealership could not get any where near the discount Orangewheels had offered. This was a shame for me as I would like to have done business with the local dealer, even paying slightly above the quote for the extra overheads but they did not seem to be that bothered. Delivery, and collection of the outgoing A4 (+£100 ) was all done via low loader direct to home address.
That said, when I ordered the A4 I used the broker quote to bargain and got a very similar price so worth a try first before writing them off.

Just wanna say that I've used Drive the Deal to purchase my car. Highly recommend them. No issues whatsoever. Would use again in the future. Cheapest in price at the time as well.

The brokers I know of are.... Orange Wheels
Car Wow
Drive the Deal
Broadspeed
Carfile

Worth spec'ing on all the sites for best price etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bristle Hound and pburv
Just completed my Car Wow requested. First offer has come back with 7.4% discount, with no dealer contribution to the finance

Went for STronic Saloon - Daytona Grey -
Storage and luggage pack - A3/RS3.£175
Fine Nappa leather + super sport seats.£650
Bang + Olufsen advanced sound system.£495
Audi parking system plus.£700
Folding door mirrors.£200
Panoramic glass sunroof.£1075

lease is ending on Golf R in October, so looking to get something sorted