Brexit. Will prices go up?

Soulboy

Reaction score
With Sterling continuing to fall against the euro, surely prices are going to have to increase eventually for German cars (as well as everything else imported)?

I know some Swiss watch manufacturers have already bumped prices up about 10% in the UK since Brexit.

I assume the car manufacturers will hedge currencies to avoid short term volatility, but this can only last so long.

Thoughts?

Prices go up? less cars all manufacturers will sell...... Especially Audi who are too expensive as it is....

Reactions: pburv
They have already started, maybe not with the base price of the car but some of the "options" have seen a price rise. Was pricing up my new car last week and noticed, for example, pano roof had gone from £900 odd to £1075'ish.

I noticed the same with watch manufactures. They normally have annual price adjustments anyway but this year LVMH (Tag Heuer, Zenith, Hublot etc) has gone beyond the normal percentage.

Perhaps they may open a factory in the UK and build them here :sunglasses: can't imagine they'd just let demand drop away as the price goes up.

TX.

Reactions: pburv and DJAlix
Perhaps they may open a factory in the UK and build them here :sunglasses: can't imagine they'd just let demand drop away as the price goes up.

TX.
If what was said during the Brexit debate is true then apparently the UK buys more German cars than any other country.

The krauts ie Audi are just like every other manufacturer of product,cheap labour hence a new factory in Mexico,their second car plant l believe

Tough one, they'll charge as much as the market will bear, but if they don't increase prices then margins will be squeezed. An alternative possibility is that discounts will fall, and finance contributions could fall or interest rates go up. As inflation will almost certainly increase over the next year or so then IMO something has got to give and it'll end up costing us more one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the above points....coupled with the new car tax rates next April - makes sense for anyone to pull the trigger asap if ordering a £40k + German car.

I could imagine by next summer it will be prices up, finance up, car tax up and discounts d own.

Reactions: pburv, deanshaw24 and pauly69
Irrespective of Brexit prices will go up end of.

btw they did not go down in the previous 2 years when exchange rates were going the other way

Reactions: pburv, Scottyg, Simon L and 3 others
I think the above points....coupled with the new car tax rates next April - makes sense for anyone to pull the trigger asap if ordering a £40k + German car.

I could imagine by next summer it will be prices up, finance up, car tax up and discounts d own.

+1, main reason I'm changing mine now rather than waiting until 2017.

Would not be surprised if this piece of stupid knee jerk piece of legislation conveniently disappears

Certainly hope so, cos there'll be no avoiding it next time unless they push the threshold up significantly.

I don't think anyone happy to sink 40k on a car is really going to get put off by a price hike, especially on finance where that increase will be spread over 3/4 years

I know some Swiss watch manufacturers have already bumped prices up about 10% in the UK since Brexit.

I noticed the same with watch manufactures. They normally have annual price adjustments anyway but this year LVMH (Tag Heuer, Zenith, Hublot etc) has gone beyond the normal percentage.
Thankfully the Omega range has stayed the same ;)

Reactions: FBF01, pburv and Simon L
I don't think they will. As with most business market share is important. As we leave the EU countries like Japan will try to steal more of the valuable uk market and German companies will reacte.

Thankfully the Omega range has stayed the same ;)

Most others have put prices up.
Rolex haven't increased either (yet).
You just can't get hold of any decent model in UK as they have all been bought by overseas visitors. Or put in the safe by the dealer awaiting the price rise.

Much different for cars I know.
RH drive for starters!

Most others have put prices up.
Rolex haven't increased either (yet).
You just can't get hold of any decent model in UK as they have all been bought by overseas visitors. Or put in the safe by the dealer awaiting the price rise.

Much different for cars I know.
RH drive for starters!
You could always take a trip to Jersey with the wife for a weekend and not pay the extra 20% vat! What you save would pay for the trip, two birds one stone ;)

As an example: In Jersey http://www.hettich.co.uk/watches/omega/seamaster-james-bond?cat=1612

Same watch in the UK http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/websto...amaster+aqua+terra+150m+men's+bracelet+watch/

£579 less!

And still have change after the break lol http://www.channelislandsdirect.co...._3_nights_at_4*_radisson_blu_waterfront_hotel

Reactions: Soulboy and pburv
Funny you should say that.....I love Jersey.
Beautiful island!

I nearly married someone there once.
Memories of a very low point being transformed by an Oz girl....surf instructor....who had landed that morning and asked me for directions to somewhere to eat.
Never forget that night at St Brelades.
I am sure she was an angel.:crying:

Long story.....

if sterling stays where it is of course it will (if you buy in £)
audi uk buy car from audi germany (or maybe audi europe depending on their structure) and audi uk will convert their £ to euro, the euro price may remain similar but no imports into the UK paid in non £ will remain as is when the currency goes down approx 20%. anything that converts from £ to $ or Euro will be equally affected, aviation fuel/foreign mbikes/foriegn cars/foreign anything.

if you live in europe and buy new lhd audi in the UK then the prices have gone down a lot :)

I remember being in Canada in 1997 when you could be a new flat-bed pickup for $12k. At the time the British pound was worth £2 for every Canadian Dollar, so effectively £6k GBP bought you a brand-new set of wheels.

Fast forward 19 years, and quick search on Craig's List in Vancouver finds a nice but unremarkable 2002 B6 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro saloon, or sedan if you're State-side with 105k miles on the clock being sold privately for $5,500 Canadian dollars. It's fairly non-descript, has xenon lights, Tiptronic auto box, and imitation leather interior, for, wait for it... $5,500. Current exchange rates with our nosediving currency equates to £3,440.
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/cto/5830489288.html

For those of you selling the same car in Blighty... all I can say is good luck!

Last edited: