bouncing idle

Andy91

Reaction score
hi I have a 2001 a3 AUM

the cars idle is fluctuating slightly and is beginning to really annoy me, I have changed the vac pipes under the inlet for n249 n112 ect as the t piece had snapped and cant seem to find any other vac leaks I have cleaned the throttle body and changed the plugs & today checked for fault codes on vcds-light and there were none, but when changing the plugs I did find some oil on the coils?
any help would be great! thanks in advanced

Hi mate, l am in exactly the same scenario :crying:

I have VCDS lite also, but it wont let us get to the blocks that we need to get to !!

I have changed all the things that have helped other people, but the problem still remains. If you get an answer pls share lol.

Instead of starting a new thread I'll post it here as it's related I think..

I came out of the shop and it's not idling properly. If you don't give it any revs, it flutters and dies. Give it a few revs and it idles a bit lumpy but then settles. Recently fitted a new genuine Bosch MAF, scanned it and not showing any codes.
Is this similar to yours?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151588987066347

-Callum.

Instead of starting a new thread I'll post it here as it's related I think..

I came out of the shop and it's not idling properly. If you don't give it any revs, it flutters and dies. Give it a few revs and it idles a bit lumpy but then settles. Recently fitted a new genuine Bosch MAF, scanned it and not showing any codes.
Is this similar to yours?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151588987066347

-Callum.

Here is mine dude !!

My erratic idle - YouTube

Mine does not die but cant get this idle resolved !!

I have changed MAF(Bosch), CTS, Breather Hose, Injector Cleaner No codes and its driving me nuts !!

I think your problem is because of splits in the pipework somewhere, or perhaps the inlet mani gasket? It's getting unmetered air, so fluctuating a little.
Don't quote me on that though, I'm sure someone with lot more knowledge than me will be able to shed some light on it
-Callum.

I think your problem is because of splits in the pipework somewhere, or perhaps the inlet mani gasket? It's getting unmetered air, so fluctuating a little.
Don't quote me on that though, I'm sure someone with lot more knowledge than me will be able to shed some light on it
-Callum.

Thats a good shout mate !! I have been looking for leaks everywhere using easy start spray. Trying to get the engine to rev a little when it draws in the spray. cant find someone to smoke test and cant find the damn leak !!!

I had a hissing noise coming from my engine, squirted a bit of carb cleaner around the gasket on the inlet mani and you could hear the revs rise.
Worth a look I guess.
-Callum.

Last edited:
I had a hissing noise coming from my engine, squirted a bit of carb cleaner around the gasket and you could hear the revs rise.
Worth a look I guess.
-Callum.

Cheers mate !! Im goin grey trying to sort this out lol But hey fitted the S2K air filter tonight and it sounds awesome !!! :)

Haha, I fitted one a couple of weeks back, just because I was bored and it was fairly cheap. I think messing around with my old MAF when I was fitting it killed it though, as I had to then buy a new one.
-Callum.

Haha, I fitted one a couple of weeks back, just because I was bored and it was fairly cheap. I think messing around with my old MAF when I was fitting it killed it though, as I had to then buy a new one.
-Callum.

Thats sucks mate !! I learned tonight that l suck at cutting silicone hose lol I butchered the MAF end as the reducer i had was too long and god dam the 80-70mm reducer is wrong !! it more like 86-70. I nearly punched myself in the balls several times trying to squeeze that hose on !!