bought second hand car from audi but has weird paint defect

stirling37

Reaction score
hi all im a new user i have a s3 red that only bought from an Audi dealer (second hand) about 10 days ago, all has been fine but i drove it for about 60 miles today and it had a safety message on the tv panel. i stopped and noticed that the car was really hot on the drivers side, wing panel etc but nothing noticable etc so we went off to do shopping came back and under the headlight on the corner the paint has rippled about 30mm long, i pushed my finger against it and it made a indent in the actual paint/bumper. i'll try to take a picture. I didnt get the message driving home at all i wasnt driving hard as i had the wife and kids with me.
im going to call audi tomorrow but im guessing they are going to say i damage the paintwork etc. is there anything particular under that side, ive looked to see if the headlight is touching the bumper but thers a few mim gap and i didnt touch the headlight to see if that was hot but i guess it coudl of been pushing the heat across the wing.

just looking for advice this is my first decent car and absolutely gutted if im honest, my neighbour said that auid are a pain to deal with and they wont accept the claim

You didn't say what the safety message was.............

EDIT: Ignore your neighbour. Audi are great to deal with, if you have any issues then message Audi UK on Facebook and they reply in the hour. They hate posts on their page.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and way318
You didn't say what the safety message was.............

EDIT: Ignore your neighbour. Audi are great to deal with, if you have any issues then message Audi UK on Facebook and they reply in the hour. They hate posts on their page.

hi it came up and i wish i took a photo of it now, something like safety message refer to your drivers handbook or something like that, it didnt say stop the car or anything serious like that. I suspect it might be a faulty headlight but would it really heat up enough to bubble the paint and just on that corner surely it would go along the length of the headlight. very strange theres not damge to it or around it plus i park front end in so nobody has run into it. thanks for the tip i'll ring them tomorrow. I need to use the car to go to work so if they have to take it in do you get a courtesy car. I sold my 11year old car for this one and that lasted me very well not breaking down so thought a move to audi was going to be a safe one. lol

hi it came up and i wish i took a photo of it now, something like safety message refer to your drivers handbook or something like that, it didnt say stop the car or anything serious like that. I suspect it might be a faulty headlight but would it really heat up enough to bubble the paint and just on that corner surely it would go along the length of the headlight. very strange theres not damge to it or around it plus i park front end in so nobody has run into it. thanks for the tip i'll ring them tomorrow. I need to use the car to go to work so if they have to take it in do you get a courtesy car. I sold my 11year old car for this one and that lasted me very well not breaking down so thought a move to audi was going to be a safe one. lol

You will need to tell them what it was, I don't see what fault could relate to the headlight getting hot. Do all of your bulbs still work? Your headlight would not trigger a fault for it being hot. When you say TV screen, do you mean the centre screen or the one between the dials? Only the one between the dials will come up with warnings normally. It's unusual that the MMI will, unless it's more serious.

Book it into Audi, you do get courtesy cars but you normally have to book a couple of weeks ahead. If you've just bought it then go back to Audi and the sales team will have to give you a car for the day. Don't take any nonsense with this, get it looked at this week coming with a courtesy car from sales.

I'd be very worried if it got hot enough to melt the paint, it could have caught fire.... refuse to drive it until they find out why!

Hi thanks for replying yes it the media centre on the dash and it also displayed the message on the instrument panel aswell. It just said look at the driver manual but it didn't give a code etc. Tbh i didn't think much of the heat as we were sitting in traffic for about thirty mins and. Incidentally is there a temp gauge on the car i couldn't see it on the dash.

I'll take a pic of the paint, i think this is why my neighbour was saying Audi are very hard to deal with.

I'm driving it into work today and I'll see if the error comes up again. Trouble is i don't want it to go wrong any further otherwise they might say i contributed to the damage.

Hopefully this will work..The indent is where i push my keyfob against it as it was a big bubble...

I drove it to work today and it's about thirty mins drive but no heat at all..Well nothing unusual.

Attachments

• 20170424_083918.jpg
    20170424_083918.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 425
  • 20170424_083932.jpg
    20170424_083932.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 461
Wow that's worrying, call them immediately and have it collected with a supplied replacement! If it catches fire, you have to claim on your insurance :(

Reactions: Mark_86
yeah looks really bad but proabbly no bigger than 2inch in length and i dont know what made me put my keyfob in it. Still i drove it into work and parked up and no heat at all or error message

What the hell is behind there that could get so hot?[/QUOTe

i dont know i cant see behind it because it has a plastic guard behind it. I thought it was perhaps the headlamp but do the xenons get that hot, would that be the error. im sure its didnt say anything other that refer to your handbook

i dont know i cant see behind it because it has a plastic guard behind it. I thought it was perhaps the headlamp but do the xenons get that hot, would that be the error. im sure its didnt say anything other that refer to your handbook

Yes they get hot. Including their ballasts.

Get it booked in, can't advise you any more on that.

That's worthy of roadside assistance.

Xenons run/at low temperatures far lower than say halogens, my only guess would be the ballast for the xenon is overheating due to a loose connection but saying this you would notice this when the headlights are being used, but again the ballast/ignitor for the xenons are at the back of headlight unit.... Very strange indeed for something to melt paint.... Dodgy touch up paint on the bumper?????

On S3's, the ballasts are on the underside of the headlight unit directly behind where the paint has blistered

Reactions: AudiNutta, zippster and Jassyo06
thanks for the responses, my wife refuses to drive the car. ive jsut called audi and they said they cant book me in til 4th may. i said it could be a issue with electrics etc and they advised me to call the audi assit which is basically AA. Called them and waiting for them to have a look at it.

Perhaps its the xenon ballast then thats doing it. didnt run hot this morning into work. very strange i wish i hadnt touched it now because it looks like ive drove into something although saying that it doesnt ripple paint like that.

thanks for the responses, my wife refuses to drive the car. ive jsut called audi and they said they cant book me in til 4th may. i said it could be a issue with electrics etc and they advised me to call the audi assit which is basically AA. Called them and waiting for them to have a look at it.

Perhaps its the xenon ballast then thats doing it. didnt run hot this morning into work. very strange i wish i hadnt touched it now because it looks like ive drove into something although saying that it doesnt ripple paint like that.

Quote me to the AA. They will come out and confirm the problem and may say well it seems fine now, take it to the dealer. Just turn around and say "so, can I have it in writing please that if I drive the car now it won't get hot again and catch fire". They will not be prepared to do that, they will recover you and supply you with a hire car free of charge within a couple of hours.

Reactions: Jassyo06
im not getting anywhere with the local audi dealership, dont seem that bothered even mentioned if it burst into flames which it could do, i should have lied and said its gettting hot still even though its not

Hi,
Were the headlights on during the day (Do you have automatic lights) when the problem first arose? and if so, and it is the ballasts overheating you may not have seen the problem with the lights.
I would definitely tell Audi assist that it is a potential fire hazard to get them out!
While sorting, try to turn the lights off completely and see/feel if it still gets hot and see what happens with the lights when they are on, to see if any issues. Might help eliminate the problem and help with talking to Audi.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and AudiNutta
im not getting anywhere with the local audi dealership, dont seem that bothered even mentioned if it burst into flames which it could do, i should have lied and said its gettting hot still even though its not

It was likely a short in the xenon ballast with it being in that location. They can get hot. I had HID's on my Moped and luckily one day I was removing the panels for some reason and the ballast started smoking as I did! Perhaps the short is no longer there, but it caused heat and melted the bumper. But, I'd expect you to have lost the xenon operation too.

Phone Audi Assist, tell them you are without a car and you aren't prepared to drive it because if it catches fire and it kills you it will come back to them, those who said don't worry it is safe. As I said, call them out and if they say it's fine ask for it in writing. They will never give it in writing that your faulty car, a potential fire hazard is not going to cause you harm.

I think this is just one of those things and is unfortunate that it happened so soon after buying the car. You should seek compensation however.

hi all thanks for the replies ive had audi assit up, its run a laptop on it and and let the car run its not running up.. he jacked it up and had took the wheel arch liner and had alook and said he can see right inside and cant see anythign touching the bumper there at all, he said he can normal tell form the smell but it doesnt smell and the ridges are rock solid again, he said hes never seen anything like it. Said it will have to go to audi as a body claim, but said they take ages. he said it looks liek something has possibly reacted with the paint but he said he couldnt see any repair on the inside of the bumper either.
so im a bit stuff, he said he cant put it as a thermal issue as it isnt one, hes just put down that hes checked it and doesnt think its a thermal fault and that he didnt think the car was overheating.

going to call the dealership but they have aleady said it will be 4/5th of may as i need a courtesy car aswell.

hi all thanks for the replies ive had audi assit up, its run a laptop on it and and let the car run its not running up.. he jacked it up and had took the wheel arch liner and had alook and said he can see right inside and cant see anythign touching the bumper there at all, he said he can normal tell form the smell but it doesnt smell and the ridges are rock solid again, he said hes never seen anything like it. Said it will have to go to audi as a body claim, but said they take ages. he said it looks liek something has possibly reacted with the paint but he said he couldnt see any repair on the inside of the bumper either.
so im a bit stuff, he said he cant put it as a thermal issue as it isnt one, hes just put down that hes checked it and doesnt think its a thermal fault and that he didnt think the car was overheating.

going to call the dealership but they have aleady said it will be 4/5th of may as i need a courtesy car aswell.

Madness, surprised because it felt that hot. I don't see how that is a bodywork issue, if it was then the paint would be damaged on the outside with any burning / reaction.

Really don't know what to suggest, you have 14 days to exercise your right to send the car back. The fault occurred within 14 days, say your delayed decision was based on them not being helpful and threaten to claim a refund for goods not fit for purpose if they don't get you in another car straight away. It's a new car to you, shouldn't be happening.

cheers guys im so disappointed i know these things go wrong but its my first decent car and i loved it... I just feel that its going to be stuck ina audi garage for weeks. i might get in touch with audi essex headquarters to see if they can speed things along.

perhaps smart repair, never used one, but mostly heard there not good and i dont want to make it worse. I'll try one more time tomorrow but i think perhaps the head office might spur someone into action.

Reactions: AudiNutta
15th april is when i bought it. Perhaps as you suggest i can call them up say ive had enough of it and i want to return it (i dont really) but then perhaps its will be looked at as im getting annoyed now, to be honest its the usual, they are all over you when they want to make a sale.

Reactions: AudiNutta, pastey and batch
cheers guys im so disappointed i know these things go wrong but its my first decent car and i loved it... I just feel that its going to be stuck ina audi garage for weeks. i might get in touch with audi essex headquarters to see if they can speed things along.

perhaps smart repair, never used one, but mostly heard there not good and i dont want to make it worse. I'll try one more time tomorrow but i think perhaps the head office might spur someone into action.

Smart repairs are only for scratches and dents/dings,by the looks of it the full bumper will need to be removed and resprayed mate

Smart repairs are only for scratches and dents/dings,by the looks of it the full bumper will need to be removed and resprayed mate
ah ok, that rules that out. My neighbour has a very trusted car sprayer im starting to think it will be a lot quicker than leaving in a audi dealership and risking anything further. i might see how expensive it will be.. gbp 200 im guessing

I can see why you want to give the dealership a miss but take care if you go to the neighbours sprayer . To maintain your warranty rights you really do need to give the dealer the chance to put it right assuming that it is a problem from within and not something that has got onto the car externally.
Did the AA check for fault codes, as if the warning flashed up that must be logged and should indicate what the problem is?

Just had a quick read of this thread and as I have non doubt that the bumper was heated from the rear by an electrical fault I would simply return the car. Even if the dealer plays ball and replaced the bumper, sprays it etc what's to stop it happening again unless a fault can be found. A friend of mine had a small electrical fault on a Mondeo, it caught fire and burnt to a shell in seconds.
I'd certainly not be driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow thats worrying is that misano red aswell, only asking as ive had one for a few weeks too. worried now. hard to tell from the photos but it looks melted and heat is the only thing to do that. Cant say ive seen anything like it. if it had heat from outside in then surel there would be burnt marks, i would be looking towards inside the car, ive neever noticed the lights get too hot but seriously worried now.
funny enough mines going into audi aswell because of parking sensors when i swapped the grill over.

it might be a intermittent fault aswell

hi everyone, robps3, yeah its misano read ive been reading your thread with interest your cars paintwork looks amazing. definatley not heated from outside we were parked front end in a car park and not been hit etc. even the roadside assit said if it was a liquid it would have lifted the paint and its all in tacked. in fact when i see it had swelled up and then as it cold shrunk back down to how it is now. totally strange.

out of interest if i ring them up and they give me a runaround can i return a car that has damage on it, will they just say no you have done it we arent accepting it back, maybe robps3 can work his magic on it after the dealership get their hands on it. im just not in the mood to have a long drawn out fight over it and them trying to blame me.

its not getting hot now, and i cant see the error message flash up, normally it was on start up.

thats my biggest concern they take it in and spray it as a goodwill gesture and i have a dodgy car and then its further down the line. just makes you wonder even roadside assit said he coudl only think its reacted with something and it was a paint issue.

15th april is when i bought it. Perhaps as you suggest i can call them up say ive had enough of it and i want to return it (i dont really) but then perhaps its will be looked at as im getting annoyed now, to be honest its the usual, they are all over you when they want to make a sale.

Do it, what's the worst that can happen? You hand back a problem and get to go buy something that won't come with bad memories (not saying this one does, trying to find positives in you handing it back haha). But notify them within the 14 days!

ah ok, that rules that out. My neighbour has a very trusted car sprayer im starting to think it will be a lot quicker than leaving in a audi dealership and risking anything further. i might see how expensive it will be.. gbp 200 im guessing

Yes but wait, you still don't know what caused it!

Reactions: robps3
Just had a quick read of this thread and as I have non doubt that the bumper was heated from the rear by an electrical fault I would simply return the car. Even if the dealer plays ball and replaced the bumper, sprays it etc what's to stop it happening again unless a fault can be found. A friend of mine had a small electrical fault on a Mondeo, it caught fire and burnt to a shell in seconds.
I'd certainly not be driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, what's the point in trying with it... it only has to go wrong once, Audi's problem.

Reactions: robps3
The paint on my 2014 misano red s3 is fine - I wonder if its been repaired and something went wrong with the paint mix or they've used a substandard paint - misano is pearlesant and contains metallic particles - some numpty could've used a cheap mix - if its near the hot engine then that wont help, maybe unlikely but who knows.

maybe a badly worn cable to the headlight

where's the rad on the s3? if near could be a slight leak - tiny hole perhaps

pin sized hole is coolant hose

I'm looking at the photos again and that isn't a paint defect, the bumper has melted and that's why you were able to reshape it with your key.

I'm looking at the photos again and that isn't a paint defect, the bumper has melted and that's why you were able to reshape it with your key.
Yeah paint isn't that thick

Trying to get audi to admit that they did paint it is perhaps going to be the hardest problem. I've always found dealerships quite hard to deal with when it comes to bodywork. The R32 i had a common fault and have issues with rust under the front arches due to some foam they put on the underside holding water there. I was on a forum and there were a few guys that had trouble dealer with the VW and they were only contributing half to the repair work.

I havent had many dealings with audi, although mine has to go in for front sensors so i'll let you know, strangely i tried booking it in and they cant provide a courtesy car for two weeks so seem really busy.

phoned the dealership today, spoke to the service personal. he took some details and said he may have to call audi out to have a look. He said he is happy if audi assist have had a look at it and that they have declared its not thermal so no point picking it up earlier. He said it sounds very strange and hes never heard of it before and thats why it might be better for audi to have a look at it beforehand but will need it for a couple of days so will give me a courtesy car So its going in next thursday.

Just a thought and question as i like the car, if i take it in next thursday then offiically its passed my 14 days and therefore they might not be happy to deal with me. Is it worth ask them to extend it or legally that cant be done. I think it was the 14th april that i bought the car

Trying to get audi to admit that they did paint it is perhaps going to be the hardest problem. I've always found dealerships quite hard to deal with when it comes to bodywork. The R32 i had a common fault and have issues with rust under the front arches due to some foam they put on the underside holding water there. I was on a forum and there were a few guys that had trouble dealer with the VW and they were only contributing half to the repair work.

I havent had many dealings with audi, although mine has to go in for front sensors so i'll let you know, strangely i tried booking it in and they cant provide a courtesy car for two weeks so seem really busy.

I dealt with VW twice over that, first time paid straight out for a new wing. Second time, they offered 50% goodwill which I declined as it's a 10 year warranty, after a lot of back and forth between VW customer care and the head of business they agreed to pay.

Reactions: stirling37
Reactions: AudiNutta and richinsoton