1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue LED's in Angel Eyes Legal?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Stunt Codpiece, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Stunt Codpiece

Stunt Codpiece New Member

[Sep 18, 2012]
    Just wondering if it's legal? I would lean towards "no" as there are some funny laws regarding car lights / lighting in general, mostly to do with police stuff, but just thought I'd check - couldn't really find a definitive answer by googling...
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

[Sep 18, 2012]
    I don't think they are road legal but everyone does anyway. Like with hids.they shouldn't be used in reflective headlights but people still carry on,myself included
  4. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Rrrrrrrr-tech

[Sep 18, 2012]
    Don't know if they'd be illegal or not, but IMO they'd look a bit gash anyway...
  5. Stunt Codpiece

[Sep 18, 2012]
    Haha noted. Just keeping my options open really. My A3 is my daily so I want it to look banging, but still be reasonably practical. Either way, the standard headlights look pretty rubbish, and IMO Angels look better than Devils...
  6. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

[Sep 18, 2012]
    Sorry didn't read it properly.Angel eyes look ****e on anything other than a BMW.if you haven't got it yet,don't get them.I was on about the actual bulbs not the Angel eyes
  7. Stunt Codpiece

[Sep 18, 2012]
    I dunno, my mate has them on her A3 and they look pretty nice - you got any recommendations?
  8. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

[Sep 18, 2012]
    I think the headlightsbwith the projector beam is the best. I'd go for them again.otherwise just leave it standard with different colour lights. All depends what you like.obviously, its your car so you could fit some halford special neons I'd you wanted.just do what you feel
  9. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Sep 18, 2012]
    if you are really going down the angel lights route then you should get a bm
    they look ok on the BMW but come on you have an audi
    just put a m-tec spoiler on and be done.
    oh and to answer your question you cant have blue light unless your an cop fire ambulance etc
    unless its for show only and not on the road.
  10. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 18, 2012]
    Are blue lights legal on a private car? I saw a Mini with blue sidelights in the front bumper, he overtook a police car aswell, did they go after him? No they didn't, too much paperwork methinks?
  11. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

[Sep 18, 2012]
    I've got blue ish sidelights and have been stopped many times by police but they have never mentioned them. I don't see sidelight to cause a problem as you can only see them a night and are hardly bright enough to dazzle anyone
  12. bez101

[Sep 18, 2012]
    its not really about dazzling anyone
    its about them been blue police colours
  13. bez101

[Sep 18, 2012]
    Firstly lets take a look at the sidelights, or more correctly, the position lights, these not only indicate the vehicles presence but also its approximate width, so a couple of white LEDs mounted in the grille is easily going to get you an MoT failure. Much the same applies to the rear position lights and in common with all other required lights must not flicker or go off when tapped lightly. Quite common within the motoring community at the younger end of the population is the fitting of blue sidelights especially at the front, again a guaranteed MoT fail as the regulations require they must show a steady white light to the front, or a yellow light, if incorporated in a headlamp which emits a yellow light�
  14. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 18, 2012]
    I've got blu'ish sidelights aswell, they are ice white LED's, but this Mini I'm talking about actually had Blue LEDs, as blue as the blues and twos lights on a traffic car!
  15. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

[Sep 18, 2012]
    That's going a bit too far,yeah mine are xenon white but still a led obviously. Yeah funny enough I saw a mini with stupidly blue light at ace cafe not long ago.dunno how he didn't get pulled for it but it was a bit much