Best Dash Cam

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
So I've seen a lot of people have these dash cams fitted these days and after nearly getting rammed off the road yesterday by an ar*ehole truck driver, I would like to try one.

I don't won't to spend loads or get something that is poor quality.

What are the best ones out there?

"next base 302" £99 Halfords does what it says on the can.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Go to forum sponsors section and look for Advanced InCar Technologies. They are Thinkware suppliers. Or you can send a message to @Cruiser89, who runs the place.

I've got a Wee £21 one off eBay. Had it in for over a year with no problems.

I've got this one

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...drivepro-200-dash-cam-black-10130787-pdt.html

Do a search on YouTube to see reviews of a few cameras, to help make your mind up.

I like this camera it's small enough so you can mostly hide it and the quality is good. You can turn the screen off, so it is not destracting at night. No gps though (something I was not bothered about) but time and date stamped on the video (if you select it).

Cheers

Chris

I've had a Blackvue 650 2 channel front/rear for 2.5 years which is very good but quite expensive too. Pretty easy to install but you have to be careful where you run the cable to the rear camera as it can affect DAB reception if too near the aerial cable.

Luckily I haven't needed it for any incidents yet.

@Spooky Not yet mate. I will get it sorted soon.
I was recommended the Thinkware 750 Front/Rear set by @Schizophonic. Would definitely recommend this set as the camera has inbuilt battery monitoring for parking mode so it doesn't drain your battery. I had to get some instructions from @DJAlix to dismantle the boot and rear trim to route the rear camera wire. Took me bout 2 hours to wire the back properly as a rubber grommet had me stumped for ages. The camera quality is excellent and it can be setup with a smartphone anywhere.
Ruhel

Last edited:
Reactions: EXSpartan36, jdp1962, ScottishA4B9 and 1 other person
I defo don't fancy fitting myself. Would the rear camera work with my rear privacy glass?
I should think if you can see out of it then yes. Stick your phone camera against the back window and record for a few seconds. Should give you an approximate idea of how it will look with privacy glass.

I run MiVue 518`s in my cars, already paid for itself after a incident.

Hi I have for two weeks or so an nextbase 402 and I m very happy with the quality and the finish of the camera... G sensor Hd gps...plus plus plus.

Do you all leave your dashcam in the car or unplug it when it's not in use?

I like this camera it's small enough so you can mostly hide it and the quality is good. You can turn the screen off, so it is not destracting at night
I've got the DrivePro 100 which is the same size (just smaller lens). Good quality, mostly hides behind the mirror and fits perfectly between the windscreen mount and the auto-dimming sensor.

I defo don't fancy fitting myself. Would the rear camera work with my rear privacy glass?

I fitted a Blackvue front camera myself. I initially followed @scotty76 (thanks by the way) guide to give me a rough idea on how to route the cables.

Only thing I'd be careful of if you're looking to get someone to install your camera, is that you ensure they don't route the cable across the A-Piller like this as the A4 B9s airbag deloys from here despite there being no airbag markings which the B8 below has.

As you can see from the A4 euro ncap video at 1min 36secs in.

I only realised this after wiring mine the same way above and then coming across the ncap video. After this I re-routed mine down the a-pillar and across the bottom of it and into the fuse box.

I fitted a Blackvue front camera myself. I initially followed @scotty76 (thanks by the way) guide to give me a rough idea on how to route the cables.

Only thing I'd be careful of if you're looking to get someone to install your camera, is that you ensure they don't route the cable across the A-Piller like this as the A4 B9s airbag deloys from here despite there being no airbag markings which the B8 below has.
View attachment 95608

As you can see from the A4 euro ncap video at 1min 36secs in.

I only realised this after wiring mine the same way above and then coming across the ncap video. After this I re-routed mine down the a-pillar and across the bottom of it and into the fuse box.

Does my car have side airbags? I dont have the AirBag symbol on the A pillars at all. 2005 A3
Thanks

Does my car have side airbags? I dont have the AirBag symbol on the A pillars at all. 2005 A3
Thanks

Having looked on ELSAWIN I would say that the A3 from 2005 has them. Whether the curtain airbag system was an optional extra back then I'm unsure. So I can't say if yours does or doesn't have them. That's going off the pictures below for the 3 door and 5 door.

The euro ncap for the 2003 A3 shows the airbag deploy from the A-pillar roughly 33secs in.

Reactions: Ruhel
Having looked on ELSAWIN I would say that the A3 from 2005 has them. Whether the curtain airbag system was an optional extra back then I'm unsure. So I can't say if yours does or doesn't have them. That's going off the pictures below for the 3 door and 5 door.
View attachment 95645 View attachment 95644

The euro ncap for the 2003 A3 shows the airbag deploy from the A-pillar roughly 33secs in.

Well gonna have to reroute some wiring soon.
Thanks!

Reactions: f1nny
for a front facing all the wiring can go to the map light area, I gutted a 12v to 5v cig charger, and added wires and a small fuse,
I found various lives in the map light area, depending on how you wish to configure it.

They meant to start posting them out from the 14th October.
Hope my expectations would be worth waiting

I was recommended the Thinkware 750 Front/Rear set by @Schizophonic. Would definitely recommend this set as the camera has inbuilt battery monitoring for parking mode so it doesn't drain your battery. I had to get some instructions from @DJAlix to dismantle the boot and rear trim to route the rear camera wire. Took me bout 2 hours to wire the back properly as a rubber grommet had me stumped for ages. The camera quality is excellent and it can be setup with a smartphone anywhere.
Ruhel
I also have the thinkware 750. Its a great bit of kit. It also has speed camera warning, distance alert and lane depart warning. Best part is when I am driving I cant see it!! I hid it behind the rear view mirror.

I bought the nextbase 312gw as it seemed a really strong well-rounded camera, doesn't have rear facing capabilities though does have parking mode which is awesome if you get it hardwired. Found lots of good information at cardashcamreviews which helped me when I was looking for a dash cam, hope this helps!

Martin

I use an app on my phone called Carcorder. The quality of recording is as good as your smart phone (so pretty good, can easily read numbers plates whereas my brother's dedicated machine couldn't read a plate even if tailgating) and you choose how much space for the app to use. I give it 4GB, once this is filled it removes old recordings to keep to your limit.

Loads of features, map displays, replays etc, can't fault it for about £1 I paid for it