Best Credit Card?

cjp2k

Reaction score
Hi guys, as I am going to NYC next month I need a creidt card that wont charge me stupid amounts to use it in the US. Currently with the Halifax One card and they will charge me 2.75% of each transaction to use it abroad!!

So that could be very expensive... Any idea of a card company that wont charge me stupid amounts to use my card?!?!

Cheers

Chris

I could give you credit at very reasonable rates.
I must warn you though, all repayments must be kept upto date else you can expect horses heads in the bed!
:p :thumbsup:

Might be worth looking at American Express?

I've got one myself and to be honest I only use it if I notice excess funds in the bank and I fancy the experience of being on a dark alley of a night having all my money beaten from me; but while it's expensive from the off they don't seem to penalise you as much for using it when you travel. Whether that makes it ultimately cheaper or not is something you'd have to look into I guess...

Regards,

Rob.

I have an Egg card, and just deposited a load of cash in the account so I was actually in credit when I went to the US. Didn't get charged anything for using it abroad.

Thinking about it I guess you could scam the 56 days thing too...

So if you can't do like Andy says and get a card in credit before you go; find the cheapest one to actually use abroad and then find the cheapest one for balance transfers... Card (a) charges no fees for use abroad, but is 20% APR; Card (b) charges 2.5% per transaction to use abroad, but offers 12% APR and 0% balance transfers (just watch out for administration charges)...

Use card (a) while abroad and assuming you can start the paperwork rolling (when you get back) within 56 days of the first charge (basic interest-free cooling-off period) you can transfer the lot to card (b) and pay it off at the cheaper rate...

Just another angle in case you don't find one you like...

Regards,

Rob.

My one card from halifax is 12% and 0% on balance transfers... so would either pay the card off when i get back or transfer it to the halifax... jsut need a cheapish card to use abroad... even my current account charges me 2.75% abroad :(

Yeah it looks like I was being optimistic about Amex too; they're just as scandalous on international stuff as they are on everything else.

Is there no help on moneysupermarket.com or moneysavingexpert.com?

Regards.

Rob.

Just remember to never use the card you're getting 0% on for any purchase. As soon as you've transferred the balance to it cut the card up. If you put so much as £1 on it, you'll start clocking up interest (that's what they're banking on).

I am thinking of the Audi Card.. Anyone got one... they dont charge at all for use abroad... just obviously cash advances if you take money from a cash point.. I know its high interest rate, but it will be pretty much paid off within a month!!

nationwide card - free overseas transactions. Not cash though but who in their right mind gets cash with credit card?

treblesykes said:
nationwide card - free overseas transactions. Not cash though but who in their right mind gets cash with credit card?

*nods* Nationwide is the card I use abroad as no fees. As ever, you will still get a worse rate of exchange than market. Perhaps travellers' cheques would be a better idea? I think you can get them with no-fee buyback if you don't use them.
Apparently hotels are about 30% more expensive than normal in the US at present in response to the 1.97 dollar rate... bummer!

My bank issued MasterCard doesn't charge me to use it in the US, but the interest rate is pretty high.

Use my debit card, however and not only do I get a % fee, but a fixed $2 charge every time I use it...

I would think that American Express is the way to go if you can...

Also - if you are renting a car over here, check with the credit card companies about whether they provide insurance for you during the rental period. I think American Express do, and I believe some others offer this as well, and this can save you a bundle of money (up to $50 a day).

I had a nationwide card but am moving to the audi card as the nationwide one is a pain to pay off - can't pay over the phone. Both are 0% on purchases and you get a better rate than you will on changing cash and using that instead.

Mike

cjp2k said:
I am thinking of the Audi Card.. Anyone got one... they dont charge at all for use abroad
Yep, I've had one since July - no foreign currency loading so worthwhile using it abroad for purchases. I didn't use mine to withdraw cash abroad - just purchases. Just coming up to the end of my interest free period so got a £3500 bill to pay in 4 days:(