Back with a new B5 - standard 1.8 auto only 43k :-)

A4 stu

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm back to B5 ownership after a few years. My old car was a one family owner 1998 TDi auto 115hp SE with 99k on the clock. After 2 years and 20k it was time to say goodbye as the wife wanted a people carrier instead. So it was hello to a Renault and hello to lots of little problems!

Anyway. Time for Stu to source a 2nd car and out of nowhere I get offered the following:
B5 1.8 auto SE
FSH approx 90% Audi dealership
Leather
Wood trim
Cruise
Working ice cold air-con!

It only had a few weeks MOT and they wanted a quick sale of £1200 so I told the owner I'd offer £1000 if they put it through. They did, it passed needing only wiper blades and advisories on the rear tyres.

It's really clean. Everything is tight and it drives really well. It really does feel new.

I'm back to getting used to the B5 auto box which I was never a fan of. It seems a bit sluggish to decide to drop a gear when needed and sometimes holds onto the gears a bit longer than I'd like but the changes are smooth both up and down.

I'm wondering if the box has become used to plodding along with older drivers behind the wheel and needs to learn my driving style?

Question - can the box be reset as such? Is it new enough to learn a driving style added if so what's the best way to achieve that?

I'll see if I've got any photos of it after the valet as it had been sitting around a yard for a few months and was rather dirty and in need of some tlc and get some pictures uploaded.

It seems more powerful than the TDi with better acceleration when pushed. I'm still investigating the mpg!

Stu.

i would give the box a service; oil and filter change. Lack of maintenance is the bane of these transmissions!

I'm not sure if it learns, and i've not experienced an automatic 4 cylinder, but automatics from that era were pretty dim witted, and i dont thing theres a great deal you can do about that.

Ok thanks. I used to run Mercedes 190's. They had a basic 4 speed box of ancient design and an oil and filter change on those transformed them.

It was quite a revelation to then drive a much later 5 speed intelligent auto from the E class.

I'm growing to really like this car. It's too original for me to consider many mods but if it had just a bit more under the hood I would be very happy.

I should look into getting it running at peak performance for what it is.