B5 A4 headlight conversion

JK13URK

JK
Reaction score
Have a 1998 A4 advant, with S4 front but haven't a clue as how to change the old lights to S4 headlight's I have for it, or even if it can be done, would be very grateful if someone could advise me please, Jk

Pre to post oranoco I can't upload images as files to big will have to configure

There are guides on the net for PFL to FL. Some cutting of the wings are required to fit and the loom wires need swapping and the plugs are different. You can buy loom adapter leads from Kuafatec but they are not cheap.

Here is a good guide...http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ector-Headlights-Conversion-on-a-Pre-Facelift
There are guides on the net for PFL to FL. Some cutting of the wings are required to fit and the loom wires need swapping and the plugs are different. You can buy loom adapter leads from Kuafatec but they are not cheap.

Here is a good guide...http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ector-Headlights-Conversion-on-a-Pre-Facelift

Even though they off a 1998 S4 I still have to cut wings Dan?

Done mine a few years ago but from what I recall;

Cut plugs from old loom and solder (heartstrings) face-lift lamp plugs on matching the wire colours as these are the same between cars.
Use a Dremmel or similar to remove metal from wing round old indicator lense.
Swap pin 8 to pin 10 at stalk to keep dipped beam on when you use main beam.
Slide new lamps in connecting the plugs and test/align

Aragorn was very helpful when I did mine and sure he can correct me when my memory has let me down.

Big improvement from
SLine.jpg

To
01A4.jpg

Cheers for that sounds a big job might just sell them on lol, I'll look more into it, is there a conversation kit that can be bought to do this

If your car has split headlight/indicators and you're fitting one piece headlights, then yes, the wing needs trimming.

If you're fitting split S4 lights then they should fit without modding the wing.

Are you original one pfl or fl as they run different bulbs in different styles. Guessing the s4 ones are xenon or not really worth the upgrade unless your going to hids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What exact car do you have, and what exact lights do you have?

If the lights are from a 98 S4 they will simply bolt on and plug in.

Sorry Aragorn only getting back to you, yes it is a 1998 A4 TDI SE, the S4 lights are from a 1998 model, so would there be cutting of wings involved in this?

I don't have any wires coming from the S4 lights they didn't come with them, where would I get them, I've been looking but can't seem to trace them

If your stuck you can order the plug from the dealer, or find someone breaking an S4.

Its only the levelling motor plug thats different though. The main lighting plug is the same.

If your car doesnt have front fogs (and thus uses H4 bulbs) you'll also need to make a small modification to the main beam wiring at the stalk to keep the low beam lit.

Just found out tonight the lights are face lift so ordered the conversation cable which will plug into old wiring into S4 lights without splicing and body guy to cut wings to fit them.